Page 244 of 256 FirstFirst ... 144194234242243244245246254 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,440 of 2560

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

I thought I had cracked the barrel around the feet but Rob said the barrel was fine, just marks from heavy use. He had a new Springer factory barrel that he fit and said it should provide better accuracy since its fitted. I wanted to keep the main components Springer since I carry this piece on duty.

I asked to clean up the action (which was a tool steel SACS job from 2009) as it broke at 5 lbs and wanted to be between 4.5 and 4.75. He told me SACS just dropped the parts.

My feed ramp was short.

I asked him to clean up the front strap above the checkering. I started it but got scared to go any further as I did not want to break through.

if you see this image, when my MCOP was freshly back from SACS (2009 ish), I requested a high front strap. I was told SACS did not square up the front strap above the checkering.

Some years later, I tried to square it up myself and stopped. I painted it with Aervoe but I guess not priming it, the paint peeled off. It's never rusted in the humid environment of south Tejas.

so this is what he did.

-Tune Extractor (Wilson BP extractor is still in good shape. It was MUCH too tight to allow the gun to feed like it should)
    -Fit new S.A. Barrel w/EGW Link and O.S. Pin
    -Polish all ignition parts (These were just installed out of the bag by Springfield. I stone polished every contact point)
    -Bow Tie Cut Frame
    -Cut feed ramp to proper depth and straightened (Springfield's have shallow feed ramps most of the time)
    -More aggressive high cut

He sent the slide off for the Charyn plate machining.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    Just yesterday I got the ship notification for two 1911 slides coming back to me from Impact Machine with EPS Carry optics on them. However, it’ll be two weeks before I can hit the range with them.

This post is not helping my patience.
    I look forward to seeing those slides.

Sounds good Mike. I am excited to see the MCOP once you get it back.

What did the bowtie cut cost?
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    when I get the bill, I will let you know.

I will email him tonight to find out status.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    Just yesterday I got the ship notification for two 1911 slides coming back to me from Impact Machine with EPS Carry optics on them. However, it’ll be two weeks before I can hit the range with them.
    I've had these for a bit but just recently found the time to assemble guns and take photos.

I am very happy with the work. I did not expect, but am very happy to see, that despite my guns being adjustable sight models, Impact Machine found what material they could to form a back pocket or stop so that there isn't absolutely nothing behind the optic. This was obviously easier to do with the Kimber (LPA sight cut) than the Baer ("deluxe" style of true Bomar cut), but both have something behind the optic in addition to the shims that are part of the K-footprint cut.

Only tiny negative is that the extractor channel on the Kimber needed to be cleaned up a bit - there was a bit of interference with the external extractor's spring from some material sticking down from where the hole was drilled. The screw itself cleared. No big deal and I don't count that against them - they didn't have my extractors with the slides to check on that.

Next weekend I should be able to sight them in and regulate the front sights to work with the very low-mounted optics' integral backup rears (I've already taken some material off both to minimize on how much filing I have to do at the range). Then the Les Baer will be off for a complete new finish.

Name:  IMG_1935.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  46.5 KBName:  IMG_1933.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  45.7 KBName:  IMG_1934.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  62.1 KBName:  IMG_1932.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  65.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    $75 and $25 return shipping.

it's in my hands. I hope to shoot it at firearms training at police academy on Tuesday.

I went to a one-day Red Dot school and have a good understanding of the dot.

I hope to pump about 200-300 rounds through it before it returns to duty.

what's pissing me off about my set up is the SF X300 Turbo.

It very loose fitting with the P plate.

I hate that I have to put pieces of bicycle inner tube between the top of the light and frame rail to tighten it up. my older yellow tint SF300s are snug. What happened, did P specs change?

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 11-10-2023 at 10:09 PM.

Looks like you have the X300T for a Glock "universal" Rail? They never did so well on anything other than Glocks; loose as hell...at least in my meager experience. I don't know if the Springfield is a "true" M1913 rail like a Colt CCU/M45/2nd gen Railgun is, but the only guns I've had the "universal rail" X300 fit onto without having problems were Sigs with their weird curved rail thing, and Glocks..

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    Looks like you have the X300T for a Glock "universal" Rail? They never did so well on anything other than Glocks; loose as hell...at least in my meager experience. I don't know if the Springfield is a "true" M1913 rail like a Colt CCU/M45/2nd gen Railgun is, but the only guns I've had the "universal rail" X300 fit onto without having problems were Sigs with their weird curved rail thing, and Glocks..
    I bought it from a co worker who bought it for a CZ P10. He bought some fancy Cloud Defensive. I put my P attachment but its the rails that are loose. that makes sense why its loose. I will look into part numbers. thanks

User Tag List