Page 139 of 256 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149189239 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 2560

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

It was a Springfield Warren Tactical 1911. I was going to grab you the link, but I couldn't find it at the new pistol-training.com

Here is post #30 https://pistol-training.com/springfi...est-report-30/

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Thank you!!!
    It's a really good thread. I've read through it a bunch of times. Seems like some teething issues early on until they were worked out. I wanted a Warren gun after the test but I was a little too late as it didn't seem like they were being made by the time I was ready to pony up the greenbacks. So then I tried to get a Colt rail gun in a 5inch 9mm. That was a dog. No matter what I did I couldn't get that thing running right.

Then I was fortunate enough to befriend a guy that swears by a 9mm and he currently has a Warren in 9mm that just exceeded 30,000 rounds through it without a hiccup. He has gone through a few other 9mms but hung onto that one. One such gun that he was moving was a 9mm nighthawk thunder ranch. I was able to procure said pistola at a heavily discounted price. He had 3200 rounds through it and I have put 2,000 through it. It sings with 124 gr. and 124+p. He recommended (and per the Warren test) 14# variable rate recoil springs. I haven't had a single malfunction either mechanically or shooter-induced. I just cleaned it after that 2,000 rounds too - I am impressed.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I think the 5" guns probably run just fine since over the last 5 - 10 years the 9mm guns have gotten a lot of attention. Remember ToddG ran a 5" 1911.
    I have a circa 2016 5" 9mm SA Range Officer Operator that needed deburring and a bit of break-in shooting early on, but which is now trouble free.

Not knowing when to leave things alone, I recently put a "better" aftermarket disco/sear/GS spring in it... and shortly thereafter put the original one back in. The pull with the aftermarket spring was a bit light for my taste. The only thing I changed permanently was putting a set of micarta VZ grip panels on the gun.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

FWIW Springfield runs a 23lb mainspring and 10lb recoil spring in their Custom Shop guns from the factory. After having a 9mm Pro I do believe it was a bit under sprung, very sluggish slide impulse. I also cause some stoppages riding my thumb again the slide. I had to take extra care with my grip and for that reason alone I ditched the 9mm 1911 idea. Looking back a 14lb recoil spring May have mitigated that but I’m done fiddlefucking with $3k guns.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    FWIW Springfield runs a 23lb mainspring and 10lb recoil spring in their Custom Shop guns from the factory. After having a 9mm Pro I do believe it was a bit under sprung, very sluggish slide impulse. I also cause some stoppages riding my thumb again the slide. I had to take extra care with my grip and for that reason alone I ditched the 9mm 1911 idea. Looking back a 14lb recoil spring May have mitigated that but I’m done fiddlefucking with $3k guns.
    My Dan Wesson (5 in Valor) also came with a 10 lb spring. While it never malfunctioned, when I replaced it at 3500 rnds, I went with a 14lb Sprinco and a 20lb mainspring per Joe Chambers recommendation. It definitely added energy to the slide when returning to battery and was just light enough to not cause the barrel to dip. I’m happy with that combo.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    My Dan Wesson (5 in Valor) also came with a 10 lb spring. While it never malfunctioned, when I replaced it at 3500 rnds, I went with a 14lb Sprinco and a 20lb mainspring per Joe Chambers recommendation. It definitely added energy to the slide when returning to battery and was just light enough to not cause the barrel to dip. I’m happy with that combo.
    One day I may revisit the 9mm 1911 concept with this knowledge. The do feel like .22s but on the clock I’m just not a good enough shooter to see a meaningful speed or accuracy advantage outside of slightly faster splits. But that’s me, a better shooter would probably be able to squeeze out a bigger performance advantage.

Site Supporter
    I have had various Colt 9mm 1911's, and all ran without issue except one had a soft ejector. The lightweight Commander makes a nifty field companion. Magazine choice matters.

Pulling this from the Top 5 Modifications you should make to a 1911 - Bill Wilson & Massad Ayoob thread because I don’t think I’ve seen this addressed in this thread yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorikid View Post
    Check your slide stop, again, EGW has you covered. It can help with lock up and stop standing on a link.
    What am I looking for to see if the slide stop is causing a problem with lock up and link standing?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Pulling this from the Top 5 Modifications you should make to a 1911 - Bill Wilson & Massad Ayoob thread because I don’t think I’ve seen this addressed in this thread yet.

What am I looking for to see if the slide stop is causing a problem with lock up and link standing?
    Okay, bare with me on this. I could show you in five minutes, telling someone on the internet may not work as well.

A slide stop pin diameter of .200 is spec and should help provide contact with the lower barrel lugs. That even contact gives repeatable lock up for better accuracy and more consistent feeding. Many pistols are standing on the link, using it for support instead of the lower lugs.

Easy test is to see if you have contact, remove the barrel, mark up the lower lugs. Reassemble and handle cycle the pistol 15-20 times. Remove the barrel and check for contact. Look for uneven contact, or no contact. No contact, too long a link. You can either go to a shorter link, or larger diameter ss pin. If you shorten the link, measure your upper lug engagement. Between .040 and .050 is ideal. Uneven contact is a barrel fitting issue, and requires work on the barrel to address.

Measure the slide stop pin to check the diameter and see what you have. A pin gauge can show you the max your frame will accept.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Tag List