Page 256 of 256 FirstFirst ... 156206246254255256
Results 2,551 to 2,560 of 2560

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

I think you should be able to get a round bottom FPS from either EGW or Wilson. I got one from EGW for my Baer, which uses a 9mm firing pin. Still oversized to require fitting, but the round radius is already there. I went that way because I just don’t feel like futzing with slide stop radii.

Shot the TRP a bit when I was practicing slowing down my longer distance shooting (mostly for GSSF matches), god it shoots so nice. I may be a millennial, but there is no cooler handgun to me than a 1911.

Name:  FD28665A-BAA2-4667-B860-912F8479A693.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  48.1 KB

Name:  B8FE5FC7-54AD-4BDA-9BD4-73F2004A4F08.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  37.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I think you should be able to get a round bottom FPS from either EGW or Wilson. I got one from EGW for my Baer, which uses a 9mm firing pin. Still oversized to require fitting, but the round radius is already there. I went that way because I just don’t feel like futzing with slide stop radii.
    since mine is chopped because of the rear adjustable sight.

I had to make a decision, cut off the top or make a radius at the bottom.

I have had good luck with EGW being oversized and theirs are trimmed at the top for adjustable sights.

I ordered one and will have to use my file to make a radius.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    since mine is chopped because of the rear adjustable sight.

I had to make a decision, cut off the top or make a radius at the bottom.

I have had good luck with EGW being oversized and theirs are trimmed at the top for adjustable sights.

I ordered one and will have to use my file to make a radius.
    Yeah never mind, I’m wrong.

My guns are all cut for adjustable sights too so I went and looked at my EGW order and the gun. It’s a square stop. I completely forgot about putting a radius on it with all the other stuff I was doing to this gun. Good news is it runs? I think it’s got about 800 rounds on it since then. I actually like the recoil impulse a lot so maybe the backup gun will get one too.

EGW trimmed was still too high. I had to file off some top. The width was considerably wider from the original and a lot of file and fit. It's much tighter than what SACS installed.

I rounded the bottom corner as a test. You can see the side comparison with the original.

Well Hell,

the deeper I clean this SACS Nina, the more I find.

I have not shot this piece in yearss, and when I dug it out it was dirty.

I replaced the firing pin stop, the plunger tube detents and spring (spring felt soft).

I have 24 mags for this gun (definitely overkill), and they are the Springer 9 rounders. I can't recall the manufacture.

This gun was built in 2011 by SACS and I have over 10K of target style or 147 TMJ trouble free rounds through.

What I have notice in inspecting and cleaning is the jagged or rough feeling of the engagement of the slide stop locking the slide to the rear.

I tried several dry empty mag slide lock backs and the slide stop barely catches the slide. Well, there is a slight rolled over edge on the slide stop notch cut out.

When I try to push the slide stop to full engagement with the slide, its rough but only the corner is missing Armory Kote (the finish). The rolled over edge is on the bottom of the slide not in the notch.

12 of my mags were dirty, so I cleaned them all hoping to see an improvement of slide stop engagement with the slide. NOPE!

My slide stop is factory MIM and I noticed several mold lines on the back face. Hey maybe those are adding to the rough engagement.

I began stoning that area to flatten the lines, but it's a crater and did not want to waste my time. F it, I ordered a EGW 9mm slide stop.

It appears this issue might have been slowly showing itself, but I never caught it till now.

One of the joys of a well running 1911 is that transparency and efficiency you can get when running it fast. I discovered that gets somewhat interrupted by brass to the face, with a newly acquired Colt 9mm 5”. I wasn’t surprised it doesn’t run as seamlessly as its larger brother, just slightly disappointed.

Fixing this silliness should be a fun experience. (Yes I know, 9mm in a Gov’t model is heresy, but I have reasons.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I just snagged a Weigand gage & Harrison FPS.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    One of the joys of a well running 1911 is that transparency and efficiency you can get when running it fast. I discovered that gets somewhat interrupted by brass to the face, with a newly acquired Colt 9mm 5”. I wasn’t surprised it doesn’t run as seamlessly as its larger brother, just slightly disappointed.

Fixing this silliness should be a fun experience. (Yes I know, 9mm in a Gov’t model is heresy, but I have reasons.)
    I 'm just a serious student of the 1911, but if I was you I start here: https://wilsoncombat.com/extractor-7...stainless.html

Hopefully a little ejector geometry tweak will eliminate the brass to the face. If not, the extractor may be losing control the case before it hits the ejector. I had to run one without a magazine in place to figure out what was happening. That was not a lot of fun to diagnose. I wasted a lot of rounds on experiments, including changing recoil springs, a different mainspring weight, a different firing pin stop, and faster loads.

User Tag List