Page 252 of 256 FirstFirst ... 152202242250251252253254 ... LastLast
Results 2,511 to 2,520 of 2560

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post

Meanwhile I'm only trying to learn how only one of his gun designs operates. to know he had well operating auto pistols running 120-30 years ago is rather astounding!
    That's why JMB is known as God's armourer.

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    Obsessing over minutia keeps people out of trouble and I'm sure much of it pays off.
    I disagree. I think the obsession over minutia is what gets a lot of folks in trouble with a 1911.

Just because somebody offers a tool or a part for a 1911 (and there are a lot of tools and parts available) doesn't mean you need to use the tool or install the part on your gun.

If folks would just lube them up, use quality mags, and shoot the gun with good ammo, they'd usually be better off.

Obsessing about every little bit on the 1911, and then trying to "fix" your gun, often turns perfectly functioning guns into paperweights.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I disagree. I think the obsession over minutia is what gets a lot of folks in trouble with a 1911.

Just because somebody offers a tool or a part for a 1911 (and there are a lot of tools and parts available) doesn't mean you need to use the tool or install the part on your gun.

If folks would just lube them up, use quality mags, and shoot the gun with good ammo, they'd usually be better off.

Obsessing about every little bit on the 1911, and then trying to "fix" your gun, often turns perfectly functioning guns into paperweights.

This cannot be emphasized enough. Fan boys have done a great job of turning a seminal, reliable design into a hot mess. You'll find a lot of gunsmiths on social media, professional and otherwise. One thing to remember is, these people are searching for perfection, because that's what they're paid to do. The reality is, the 1911 will function within a range of tolerances that are often generous, especially in a 5-inch .45 like you've chosen.

Getting deep into the weeds with research can give one the impression that you're operating the Hadron Collider instead of shooting a pistol. You'll also encounter those who tinker with their 1911s far more than they shoot them. To paraphrase Pat Mac, for them the gun is a talisman rather than a tool. As with most things, there are a lot of opinions on the subject, the majority of them aren't deserving of credence.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    This cannot be emphasized enough. Fan boys have done a great job of turning a seminal, reliable design into a hot mess. You'll find a lot of gunsmiths on social media, professional and otherwise. One thing to remember is, these people are searching for perfection, because that's what they're paid to do. The reality is, the 1911 will function within a range of tolerances that are often generous, especially in a 5-inch .45 like you've chosen.

Getting deep into the weeds with research can give one the impression that you're operating the Hadron Collider instead of shooting a pistol. You'll also encounter those who tinker with their 1911s far more than they shoot them. To paraphrase Pat Mac, for them the gun is a talisman rather than a tool. As with most things, there are a lot of opinions on the subject, the majority of them aren't deserving of credence.

Personal rule #1: If your 1911 works, don't try to fix it.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    This cannot be emphasized enough. Fan boys have done a great job of turning a seminal, reliable design into a hot mess.
    The reality is, the 1911 will function within a range of tolerances that are often generous, especially in a 5-inch .45 like you've chosen.
    Getting deep into the weeds with research can give one the impression that you're operating the Hadron Collider instead of shooting a pistol.
    I always sorta wondered why I was somehow special, since the 1911 is so widely reputed to flat just not work reliably, yet I probably have seventy five to one hundred thousand personal experiences to the contrary, and have witnessed millions of consistent events. But I am pretty sure there is nothing special about me...

I will admit, when I got into 9mm 1911s I did believe some of the chatter and was worried if I was doing a smart thing. Then I lubed it up, loaded some good mags with good ammo, and they were just about as boringly reliable as my others.

Quote Originally Posted by 60167 View Post
    Personal rule #1: If your 1911 works, don't try to fix it.
    And some of my friends say rule #2: don't sell it.

Site Supporter

Buggering with gun

I fully understand your point regarding excessive buggering with the gun. I see no point in tinkering with a gun that operates just as it was designed.

Referring to the above comic strip, I know for many 1911 owners the gun and JMB are tantamount to a religion. On the one hand it's silly, while on the other it demonstrates such people are hardcore 1911 hobbyists. My earlier point was if 1911 owners are deeply involved with their guns, it keeps them focused and away from harmful "hobbies" like drugs and alcohol. In other words, people with hobbies are naturally prevented from getting into trouble.

When we couple the fact the 1911 is a fascinating gun with all the aftermarket upgrade parts available for it, we're sure to find many 1911 owners swapping parts and in general buggering with their guns in an attempt to improve them. Attempting to improve things is a natural tendency of man

Site Supporter

Back when I was heavy into Colts I learned how to adjust thumb and grip safeties out of necessity. But I did so knowing what NOT to do - which boils down to not removing too much material.

I can adjust safeties and the extractor without much trouble, and a few other adjustments if needed. Anything beyond that is rarely necessary and if it were I would leave it to the manufacturer or a trusted professional.

What I shoot the most now are Wilson Combat guns and they don't really need much in the way of adjustments.

I still think it's a good idea for 1911 owners to learn how the gun operates though.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I always sorta wondered why I was somehow special, since the 1911 is so widely reputed to flat just not work reliably, yet I probably have seventy five to one hundred thousand personal experiences to the contrary, and have witnessed millions of consistent events. But I am pretty sure there is nothing special about me...

I will admit, when I got into 9mm 1911s I did believe some of the chatter and was worried if I was doing a smart thing. Then I lubed it up, loaded some good mags with good ammo, and they were just about as boringly reliable as my others.

And some of my friends say rule #2: don't sell it.
    I bought that for decades. There may have been something to that. I don't know, since I was fully entrenched with the holy caliber I never bothered. Then about ten years back I bought my first one. When it chugged along with boring reliability I was honestly surprised. The latest two have followed that trend. And, as I've said before, a 9mm Commander is the sweetest handling variant in the whole line-up.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

To @Danko or any other newb starting out just go buy a Springfield Garrison, oil it, and shoot it.

It's taken me 25 years, helping maintain a fleet of 1911's at work, a few armorer classes, a lot of time spent in a world-class 1911 pistolsmith's garage, and lots of screw ups to learn how to work on 1911's...and I'm still just an "armorer" rather than anything close to a gunsmith...and still learning new things about the gun every day.

While the 1911 isn't as complicated and complex as some make it out to be, you can do a whole lot of damage with a file or Dremel. Reading books and watching YouTube videos isn't a good method to learn how to work on these things. As I posted in one of your other threads there is also 100+ years of misinformation out there.

My advice if you don't know what you're doing is to buy the best 1911 you can afford and shoot the snot out of it. The gun will tell you what it needs and you will learn what you need. Spend a few 500 round days with the gun and it will tell you what needs to be de-horned or what parts you don't like.

I just posted about buying a TRP and changing parts. That's because after the experiences I posted above I know what I like and don't like and what I feel needs addressed. I also know how to fix those parts and not screw the gun up.

There is a guy on our SWAT team (and firearms instructor) that has shot a completely stock TRP (complete with ILS) he bought in 2005 and has only changed the sights, springs, and a plunger tube and has has been just fine...MIM parts, stupid 2-piece guiderod and all. I would estimate that gun now has around 25,000 rounds of factory 230gr FMJ down the pipe and a few hundred of our issued JHP. Then there was another guy at my department with a Springfield Loaded that had the factory slide stop break break apart mid string of fire. I watched it happen. Same manufacturer, same parts, both guns manufactured around the same time.

I've had to fix loose plunger tubes on a Wilson CQB and a Nighthawk too so don't feel like spending more money = no problems.

Your mileage may vary...

Site Supporter

Hands On Experience

KevH, It sounds you know your onions when it comes to 1911s. I wish I knew someone who knows the gun who could give me some live, in person instruction. Nothing beats hands on instruction. You're right about books, they're good for building basic knowledge of the gun's parts and operation, but can be weak beyond that, especially when my basic knowledge isn't yet established. Today I received my copy of Kuhnhausen's 2nd edition on the 1911. I can't wait to begin reading it tonight. I expect it will expand my knowledge and understanding of the gun. I'm old and poor, so I can't afford to take an armorers course.

I also can't afford a higher grade 1911, so I have my sights firmly set on the Springfield 1911 .45 Mil Spec. for my first 1911. It will only be used periodically for target shooting, so if something fails, I won't be any danger. 230gr ball ammo isn't cheap as you know so I won't be able to shoot more than 100 rds per session.

User Tag List