Page 195 of 256 FirstFirst ... 95145185193194195196197205245 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,950 of 2560

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguybryan View Post
    Well, I finally get to post in this thread. Just picked up a 9mm colt commander.

Wanting to stock up on magazines and am wondering if the Wilson ETMs are still the best to buy (best as in most reliable)? Hoping to buy 4-5 of these to start and run the gun through its paces to make sure it works.
    I use ETMs and Ed Brown mags in my 9mm guns with no issues.

Third vote for Ed Brown mags. I also have two ETMs I use at the range and they’ve been working fine, I’ve just invested into more vetting of Brown mags because those are what I carry, in part because my carry needs require a flush mag in the gun.

Did have one get demoted from carry rotation due to failure to lock back recently, but I caught that during a routine burn through of carry ammo and the mag still functions otherwise.

Site Supporter
    I’ll throw in another vote of 100% confidence for the Wilson 10 rnd ETMs. I’m on the originals that have been 100% since 2017 and literally 1000s of rnds for me.

Quote Originally Posted by thatguybryan View Post
    Well, I finally get to post in this thread. Just picked up a 9mm colt commander.

Wanting to stock up on magazines and am wondering if the Wilson ETMs are still the best to buy (best as in most reliable)? Hoping to buy 4-5 of these to start and run the gun through its paces to make sure it works.
    ETMs can be great, but historically can have issues in 9mm guns with extended ejectors (like Colts). More specifically, can cause issues.

Buy ONE mag. When you get it in, remove the slide from your gun and seat the mag in the frame. Does it touch the ejector, or can it be made to touch the ejector by pushing up on the seated mag from the bottom?

If it can be made to touch the ejector, or touches the ejector when seating it, then no, don't use ETMs. It'll repeatedly bang into the ejector and can break it. Not unless you either clearance the ejector to make sure the mag won't touch it under any circumstances, or figure out a way to make the mag seat lower...which kind of defeats the purpose of the Wilson mag in the first place (one of their "things" is they sit up a little higher to help with feeding). Since the 9mm 1911 craze started a few years ago a ton of people have complained about bent and broken Colt ejectors because of Wilson mags of one type or another. You can pop the ejector out of the gun and do some file/grinding work to make sure it doesn't touch, but that's up to you, and it's a long way to go to get there...I'd just use different mags if ETMs don't fit right. I have a bunch of Metalforms, both Springfield-style (with a mini built in feed ramp) and "normal" style, a couple of Colt magazines, and I think one or two Chip McCormick mags. All of them run in my two 9mm Commanders (both also Colts). I want to try some Tripp mags and see if they're any better...but realistically my needs are met by the Metalforms. Bought all mine from Brownells.

The problem I've had with my Colt Commander 1911 is when I insert a full mag with a round in the chamber- it struggles feeding that one round.

I've mostly used Colt factory and Brownells mags.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. This is my first 1911 ever so it should be an exciting time. I will probably buy one Wilson etm and an ed brown or two to try.

After I get it in hand and to the range, I’m sure there are going to be some modifications made.

an issue I had with 9mm mags was plastic base plates with stops.

Eventually the checkering acted like teeth and allowed over insertion.

I have a heavy hand and these were the older CMC 10 rnd mags.

They were hell to seat but ran 100%.

When I had a defensive 9mm 1911, the Ed Brown mags ran excellent.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I have a heavy hand and these were the older CMC 10 rnd mags.

They were hell to seat but ran 100%.
    Those are my favorite magazines. I wish they still made them.

Can’t say that I’ve had issue seating any of mine. I do use an undersized die, and that does give you a smidge more room in the mag. Plus, I was groomed on flush fit 10 round .38 super mags (shooting star) back in the days, so I developed a very forceful reload.

Based on the old CMC, and the ultra reliable Springfield 9 round magazines, I do prefer the spacer to be down the front of the mag, rather than the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    A quick data point.

Over the past year or so, I've used Wilson's new Bullet Proof XS extractor on three pistols: two .45s and one 9mm. No fitting and minimal adjustment was required. So far, the highest round count on one of them is 2k rounds without issue.

Attachment 102716
    I got a c&s extractor last year that I think is to long. It's putting a divit in the rim of the brass.

I got it to replace a Wilson combat bo extractor that I had to retension after 10k+ rounds. I think I'm just going to get another Wilson.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I got a c&s extractor last year that I think is to long. It's putting a divit in the rim of the brass.

I got it to replace a Wilson combat bo extractor that I had to retension after 10k+ rounds. I think I'm just going to get another Wilson.
    I installed three of these on two brands of 1911. The two .45s worked perfectly after the initial tensioning. Not being as familiar with 9mm 1911s, that one took a couple of tweaks but that was it. They all fit nice and tight in the channel and worked with the original FPSs. No blending was necessary on the back of the extractor. All in all, pretty painless.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List