Page 192 of 256 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194202242 ... LastLast
Results 1,911 to 1,920 of 2554

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

FWIW there is one measurement on an M1911 that has no tolerance; no +-.

The feed ramp angle, at 31.5 degrees.

Now, it's depth can be altered, etc...most builders aim for a .400 deep/long feed ramp IIRC. But it's angle is pretty much set in stone with no tolerance for difference from spec.

Does anyone here use Wiegands extractor tension gauges. I just remembered I have a set so I broke them out, along with my trusty RCBS trigger pull gauge. I think I mentioned earlier that I felt that the extractor tension was too high, and the first tests were around 4 lbs, almost double what Jack put in the instructions. I manages to get it tweaked down to about 28 oz. Does that seem in line with what you're doing? I noticed that the gauge is really sensitive to technique, I got some inconsistent readings in the beginning and had to reason the whole situation out. Is it even worth my time to use them?

Thanks!
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    Does anyone here use Wiegands extractor tension gauges. I just remembered I have a set so I broke them out, along with my trusty RCBS trigger pull gauge. I think I mentioned earlier that I felt that the extractor tension was too high, and the first tests were around 4 lbs, almost double what Jack put in the instructions. I manages to get it tweaked down to about 28 oz. Does that seem in line with what you're doing? I noticed that the gauge is really sensitive to technique, I got some inconsistent readings in the beginning and had to reason the whole situation out. Is it even worth my time to use them?

Thanks!
    I do and have two of them. I find they are very helpful myself. A pistol smith might be able to do it by feel after adjusting extractors many times a week, but I can't. Hope this video helps:
    https://youtu.be/3nnqKKWk2ig

Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    I do and have two of them. I find they are very helpful myself. A pistol smith might be able to do it by feel after adjusting extractors many times a week, but I can't. Hope this video helps:
    https://youtu.be/3nnqKKWk2ig
    I did see that. Brownells seems to have dropped Jack article and the video link from their new site but I was able to find the numbers on YouTube. IIRC it was something like 25 to 28 ounces. My Wilson BP extractor was around 4 lbs out of the package

I'll be ordering the tension tool for it too, I almost bruised my dainty little hand trying to tension the extractor by hand.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    I did see that. Brownells seems to have dropped Jack article and the video link from their new site but I was able to find the numbers on YouTube. IIRC it was something like 25 to 28 ounces. My Wilson BP extractor was around 4 lbs out of the package

I'll be ordering the tension tool for it too, I almost bruised my dainty little hand trying to tension the extractor by hand.
    Funny that video popped up for me as well. As soon as I get some free time and cash, imma order one of those. It bugged me there wasn't some numerical way of setting the extractor tension, as much hoo hah is made of how critical it is to 1911 function yadda yadda yadda. If it works (and I don't see why it wouldn't) it looks exactly like what I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Just adding another data point. I decided to use some snap caps and practice the 10 8 Feedway Testing protocol video posted by @JohnO, above.

I repeated the snap cap slow feed protocol again. I used the same WC ETM Mag loaded with 8 dummies, and added one of CM RPM 8 rounders. For both of these tests, I held the gun on my bench, but pressed down on the butt (PHRASING!!) such that the mag was jammed up as far as it would go. (The theory being this would simulate installing a higher mag catch.)

Both runs passed, 10/10 slow feeds on both the ETM and CM RPM.

Well.

This would kinda point to an elevated mag catch being a possible solution in my case. I won't be able to do this test with live rounds until I get to the range next. I really didn't want to be messing with a mag full of JHP here at home, racking the slide back and forth. That just didn't seem like a Good Idea.

A quick data point.

Over the past year or so, I've used Wilson's new Bullet Proof XS extractor on three pistols: two .45s and one 9mm. No fitting and minimal adjustment was required. So far, the highest round count on one of them is 2k rounds without issue.

Name:  788B-9_3__08712.1607097149.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  18.1 KB
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    A quick data point.

Over the past year or so, I've used Wilson's new Bullet Proof XS extractor on three pistols: two .45s and one 9mm. No fitting and minimal adjustment was required. So far, the highest round count on one of them is 2k rounds without issue.

The Wilson Combat "we have EGW at home" extractor.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    A quick data point.

The one I installed was a Wilson BP. I made certain the extractor tunnel was clean, and I also replaced the firing pin retainer with a Wilson BP, just to be fussy and anal-ytical. My extractor kind of fought me when I installed it, this was the basis for my concern about it being too tight as I mentioned earlier. The extractor was a beast to bend by hand. I know I'm not getting any younger, but wow! After I got everything back together I remembered my Wiegand gauges and it took a bit of looking to find them but I'm glad I did. Now I don't like the Apex hammer much, and will either replace it or reprofile the spur. It has a definite hot spot when thumb cocking. Damn well-made trigger though, it just hurts the pad of my thumb, plus it binds a bit in my grip safety recess.

Name:  apex1911hammer.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  4.9 KB
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    The Wilson Combat "we have EGW at home" extractor.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    Wouldn't know anything about that. I'm not interested in a brand loyalty dick measuring contest.

Information: Here's a part I've used successfully. Do with it what you will.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List