Page 96 of 256 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146196 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Site Supporter
    I have hard used Wilson 47D, Chip Mc Cormick Power Mags, Cobra Tripp Mags and Wilson ETMs with my Series I Kimber with no issues in IPSC, IDPA and at Gunsite.
    I down load one for CCW- 7 rds in an 8 rd mag, 1 in the chamber=8 total)

At one point I had a Colt 1991 and another Series 1 in "chrome". The Colt did not like the 47 D but ran Chip McCormicks just fine so long as the feed lips were not spread. No issues with the Cobra Tripps. I sold the gun before I made the switch to Wilson ETMs. I got rid of the 47Ds and settled on the CMCs as they ran in all three 1911s I had at the time.

When the ETMs came out, I switched to those and never looked back as their feed lips did not open up and were both cheaper and more readily available than the Cobra Tripps at the time.

While I would acknowledge that the Wilson ETM -V mag is likely an excellent one, it does not strike me as 20.00 better than a standard ETM which runs well in my one 1911 such that the extra money idoes not seem well spent to me, as an individual.

If however, I carried a 1911 on duty or that was my CCW of choice on a near daily basis, I would spend the money to find out and would buy accordingly. If it was revealed the 57.95 ETM-Vickers did something better than the 37.95 standard Wilson ETM, It would simply be the cost of doing business.

Way back in the day, I flirted with 10 rd mags. I think I had a Wilson and a Chip McCormick. They worked ok but I was already moving toward Glock as my primary for all purposes such that I never really vetted either brand to determine which was better.

I did shoot with regional FBI SWAT a few times and most of the guys like the 8 rd mags better day in day out. IIRC, the guys used Checkmate/Springfield mags on the range and Wilson 47Ds on the streets/ops. I could be wrong on that.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I have a theory but I would like to get some opinions as to what I experienced today with 10 round mags (and in the past, therefore I dont use them for duty)

We had a training day and I used my personal MCOP. Some of the drills were going to be in the 10 round range..... so I grabbed a couple of my older CMC 10s and a couple of older WC 10s.

99.9% of the time, I chamber a round using the slide stop and I know yanking the slide back by hand gives you a touch more oooomphhhh.

I have zero issues feeding with 10s when shooting, but when I first load with a 10 using the slide stop..... I get a fail to feed. I "tap" the mag base (ok, slap) and it goes forward into battery.

It does it with older CMC, my older WC and I have one new CMC RPM 10 and it does the same thing. The all run fine when I shoot.

So to wrap up, this only occurs slide stop load with 10s. I did a couple of slide rack loads with the 10s and no issues surfaced today.
    That’s a nose dive.

It’s either weak mags springs, a feedramp cut too deep, or probably both.

BH Spring Solutions' Article On 1911 Springs

BH Spring Solutions Article; I found this to be both a good read and empirically (at least in my case) right on the money.

https://bhspringsolutions.com/index....-kit-solution/

Typical JonInWA affiliation disclaimer: I have an ongoing relationship with BH Spring Solutions where they provide me with their parts/components/assemblies and tools for me to test, evaluate and report on. (For my use of their 1911 components, here's the current p-f discussion thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....d-Improvements)

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 03-03-2021 at 06:10 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    BH Spring Solutions Article; I found this to be both a good read and empirically (at least in my case) right on the money.

https://bhspringsolutions.com/index....-kit-solution/

Typical JonInWA affiliation disclaimer: I have an ongoing relationship with BH Spring Solutions where they provide me with their parts/components/assemblies and tools for me to test, evaluate and report on. (For my use of their 1911 components, here's the current p-f discussion thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....d-Improvements)

Best, Jon
    Their parts might be good, but you should say something to them about having this on their website about why I should buy their springs. I’ve never heard of a recoil spring wearing out simply because it was installed in a pistol.

All coil springs in the 1911 are compressed, when installed. They are expending energy (wearing themselves out) just by being installed in a 1911.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

That's a fair point, and at least regarding the recoil spring I agree with you. The next conversation Mark and I have I'll query him specifically about that, and see if I can pin him down to specifically which 1911 coil springs they're referring to.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    That's a fair point, and at least regarding the recoil spring I agree with you. The next conversation Mark and I have I'll query him specifically about that, and see if I can pin him down to specifically which 1911 coil springs they're referring to.

Best, Jon
    I also don’t think I’ve ever heard of a mainspring going bad unless it got corroded to death due to lack of maintenance. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but I’ve never seen it.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Oof let's not get into an argument of how springs work.

I do want to try one of those BH lever mag releases though.

Because levers are superior to buttons.

thanks to all with advice.

I have often thought something is off from a tolerance stacking standpoint on my frame magazine catch dimensions.

Early on, I used to get hard slide locked up high angle feed stoppage at matches. I could never diagnosed the issue as it only happened in matches where I was frantic in clearing to get shooting again.

My SACS piece was fitted with a 10-8 Gen 1 slide stop and Hilton Yam suggested I try a Gen 2 slide stop as the geometry was slightly different.

Another part that I put a heavy gouge in was the 10-8 mag catch from hard use.

After changing the slide stop and mag catch, I never experienced the high angle stoppage again.

my frame sports a factory springer MIM ejector that SACS pinned for me at my request (back in the day). The factory ejector has a mini extension that does not extend into the magwell.

I want to try a 17 lbs recoil spring.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    JohnK

I finally got to call Springer. The Gen 1 MCOP was made in 2005. They sent me a shipping label.... it will gone thru however if there is an issue relating to a non springer part, they will not cover that part. The only thing I see that is non springer is the thumb safety. They also told me night sights are only covered under warranty for 12 years and they have to be completely dead. I returned the ILS MSH back to the frame.

Boxed up and ready to return to Springfield! Hopefully turnaround is quick.

I’ve owned 2 MCOPS and both went to SACS back in the “good ole days”, foolishly sold those a couple years ago. I just purchased a gen 1 MCOP and plan to keep this one. It’s all original, I’m following this closely as their custom shop services have called off the cliff since the last time I sent something to them. Did they tell you specifically what they were going to do when they go through it? Back in the day they would pin the ejector if you asked for no charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushca01 View Post
    I’ve owned 2 MCOPS and both went to SACS back in the “good ole days”, foolishly sold those a couple years ago. I just purchased a gen 1 MCOP and plan to keep this one. It’s all original, I’m following this closely as their custom shop services have called off the cliff since the last time I sent something to them. Did they tell you specifically what they were going to do when they go through it? Back in the day they would pin the ejector if you asked for no charge.
    I made note on my letter that the sear pin has unusual wear ridge, the hammer hooks are set much further back, night sights were dim and just to make sure it was duty ready.

While they pinned my MCOP ejector in 2009, I dont think they will do it in 2021 so I did not ask.

since its assigned to me.... I will park my personal MCOP. If the night sights come back dim, I will just paint the front sight with fingernail polish (not my polish )

I will request mags, I am looking toward CMC RPM x 5 and buy a supply of recoil springs. I hope to purchase a 10-8 rear near the end of the budget year. All my duty gear will work with this piece.

And I will run this one hard. if I break it, I have a spare.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

User Tag List