Page 63 of 253 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    Quoted just because. That’s impressive.

The Dawson guide rod in the newer STIs seems to work well. I don’t know if that design has been done before or not but it did make take down easier.
    My wife uses a different word. I tend to have seconds for most every setup that works for me. For example, the below are built on Norinco frames and slides. Then there is the pair of STI Trojans for USPSA. And a pair of SACS guns although those are not a matched pair as the finish and sights are a bit different (one is a Professional and one is a Custom Carry). And a RRA Elite Commando pair in 5" and 4.25". And the Wilson pair. It has gotten a bit out of hand.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

On the FLGR discussion: I prefer the GI (non-FLGR) configuration; it's simpler and more than adequately gets the job done. I had a Colt Combat Commander that was apparently a Custom Shop limited run of sorts; it came with a FLGR (and Novak sights and nice set of rosewood grips); it seemed to feel and run a tad bit smoother with the FLGR, which I used for competition (mostly steel plate when I owned it) but for carry I used the GI set-up. All my subsequent and current 1911s use the GI set-up.

On magazines: I'm one of Check-Mate's sponsored shooters (but that came about from my genuine, and continued appreciation of and preference for their magazines), so I literally have a drawerfull of their magazines, all of which are vetted. My preference now is to go with the 7 rounders-specifically, ones with the welded baseplate, hybrid feed lips, skirted and dimpled followers. The 7 round configuration is well proven, and puts less stress on the feedlips than the 8 round welded baseplate versions. Generally, I've come to prefer carbon steel tubes (as opposed to stainless), as I think the carbon steel ones are stronger with less of a chance of the feedlips splaying out over time. That said, the stainless tubes I have are quite good, and I've neveer personally run into any feed lip splay with mine, some of which are over 10 years old.

In 8 round magazines, I much prefer an extended tube, removably basepad set-up.

In all of my magazines, I prefer extra-power springs. I particlarly think they're advisable in 1911s with slides shorter than the 5" Government configuration.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    What mags do we like for a single-stack .45 for duty use? Picking up my Staccato R in .45 ACP this week.
    I have a combination of Colt, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, and Chip McCormick Power Mags. They all work fine in my Colts.

The Wilson Combat 47, which is a 7-round magazine, has been referred to as the "golden standard" for reliable feeding. I have several and I agree they are rock solid mags. The 47D which is the 8-round version, works fine but crams 8 rounds into the same size magazine as 7-rounders. The WC ETM and some others are extended to allow room for the extra round.

When I got out of the 9mm 1911 chase I sent all my 9mm mags to Ed Brown to take advantage of their magazine buy-up program and got myself a supply of 38 Super mags and a few 45s. It's a decent deal assuming you have mags you want to replace.

What mags do we like for a single-stack .45 for duty use? Picking up my Staccato R in .45 ACP this week.
    Easy answer?

Wilson 47+p. It’s just a regular 7 round mag with the spring from a 10 round. Excellent mags.

Tripp 7 rounders are good too but I don’t prefer welded baseplates.

PITA answer?

CMC Powermag body, Wolff 11lb spring, GI follower.

I have a few people who have been using a bunch of those mags I cobbled together back in ‘14 or ‘15 and thay have been the most bomb-proof reliable mags I’ve ever seen.

Does anyone make a reliable 10 round single stack .45 mag or is 8 the maximum without getting gimmicky and giving up reliability? Primary use would be home defense and range use so an extended mag is just fine.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I've gotten stellar service from the the Wilson ETM HD with the the flat wire springs:
    https://shopwilsoncombat.com/1911-El...tinfo/500C-HD/

The Vickers Duty mag uses the same flat wire spring with a different follower and a sealed mag body:
    https://shopwilsoncombat.com/1911-ET...oductinfo/800/

Site Supporter
    In 06 or 07 when I was at Gunsite, I had excellent results with 8 rd Cobra Tripps and CMC Power Mags. Both those brands ran well in my Series 1 Kimber and a Colt 1991 I had at the time (sold it to buy an Omega, perhaps a mistake to sell a gun that works...) Then Gen Wilson 47D did not play well with my Colt.

Today, I am a big fan of the Wilson ETM. They are my exclusive carry mag. They just work and they are widely available.

The CMC Power Mag can sometime be found on the low low at 25 ish. Great so long as they work in your gun and you make sure the feed lips do not spread on you.

I know guys I have been shooting with since the early 90s who have been using the same 8-10 CMC Power Mags for gaming, forever. Once in a blue moon, they wipe them off on something other than their pants leg and blow them out with something more than their mouth. Every so often when the lips spread a bit, they just pound them back into spec with a rubber mallet.

YMMV
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Does anyone make a reliable 10 round single stack .45 mag or is 8 the maximum without getting gimmicky and giving up reliability? Primary use would be home defense and range use so an extended mag is just fine.
    There are all kinds of folks that like and use 10 round single column 1911 mags. I just think of them as novelty items. Heck, I prefer 7 rounders over 8 rounders. The issue to worry about is nose dive. The more rounds you stack in a single column mag, the more nosedive you will get.

https://americanhandgunner.com/gear/...e-1911-45-acp/

The other issue is feed lip spreading. When a column of ammo comes to a stop, with the slide back, with nothing to support the feed lips, the more ammo in the column, the more feed lip spread you'll get. If you've got to have a 10 rounder, there is some advantage to choosing a mag with the new railed feed lips like those from McCormick or Wilson.

CMC Railed Power Mag 10 rounder https://www.cmproducts.com/Railed-Po...ess_p_212.html

Wilson https://shopwilsoncombat.com/1911-El.../500%2D45FS10/

I have had great success with traditional CMC Power Mags 8.

I have some 10s but never put them to the test.

If I had to guess, they have about 10 years on them.

Someone on another forum was selling hardly used CMC PMs for considerably lower price than new.

I have 8 new to me CMC PMs that have begun the transition to duty use. The previous mags definitely show hard use and they were marked as trainers/range mags.

I did buy (a few years back) one RPM 8 and two RPM 10s.

My issue with the RPM 8 is they wont take the 10-8 base pad and the 10s see to be a little draggy in feeding from slide lock.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

When talking about 8 rounders, it is important to recognize there are three lengths of 8 round, full size, 1911 magazines. I borrow this from a post I made on another forum.

There are basically three lengths of 8 round 1911 mags. Most Colt's ship with flush fit 8 rounders, the shortest of the three.

Using the McCormick (CMC) line-up as an example, since they offer all three sizes,

The Match Grade is a flush 8 rounder https://www.cmproducts.com/Match-Gra...ess_p_201.html

The PowerMag is slightly longer https://www.cmproducts.com/Power-Mag...ess_p_193.html

The RPM is still longer and designed as an 8 rounder and not a modified 7 rounder like the other two https://www.cmproducts.com/Railed-Po...ess_p_211.html

A flush fit, 8 round 1911 mag, whether it feeds properly or not, will generally be difficult to seat with the slide forward. There just isn't enough room in the tube for 8 rounds, the follower, and spring, for the spring to easily compress. A longer mag will be easier to seat with the slide forward, and will probably feed better.

If I had to have a flush fit 8 rounder, I'd choose one that uses the Devel follower as used in many of the McCormick mags. That follower is itself a spring and can compress to allow the squeezing of 8 rounds in a tube designed for 7. The CMC PowerMag and the Wilson 47D are the same length. While slightly longer than a flush mag, they really are 7 round mags. I think the PowerMag's follower does a better job of allowing you to get that extra round in the tube.

The new generation of 8 round mags such as the CMC RPM listed above, or the Tripp CobraMag, Wilson's ETM, CheckMate's EXT mags, and other's are designed as true 8 round mags. Their tubes are longer and allow the mag to be seated with the slide forward without much trouble.

For best results, if you have to have an 8 rounder, get one of the new generation with the longer tubes. If you need 8, and you can't stand the longer tubes, or don't want to spend what they usually ask for them, get something with the Devel/Shooting Star follower.

Edit to add: I just stick to 7 rounders - the Wilson full size, 7 round, 47 (not the 47D), is my mag of choice - much like I prefer Government models over the shorter versions, simply because they give more margin for error.

User Tag List