Page 115 of 256 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125165215 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 2554

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

I am new to 1911s. Is a 1911 with an external extractor still a “controlled feed” pistol? Or is it a push feed with the extractor snapping over the case rim ?

I didn’t even know Dan Wesson was on the list of 1911 manufacturers that tried an external extractor, so I’ve already learned something.

Looks a lot like the thinner version of the S&W extractor?

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I didn’t even know Dan Wesson was on the list of 1911 manufacturers that tried an external extractor, so I’ve already learned something.
    I also didn't know (or at least forgot) DW had an external extractor in the past.

The Kimber external extractor, a very short lever, very similar looking to the Glock extractor, was really the only external 1911 extractor that hasn't worked well.

I am new to 1911s. Is a 1911 with an external extractor still a “controlled feed” pistol? Or is it a push feed with the extractor snapping over the case rim ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    It shouldn't matter, whether it is an internal or external extractor.

It's also something I'm not much concerned about. I don't know how it would affect my use of the pistol one way or the other.

Looks a lot like the thinner version of the S&W extractor?
    S&W had (has?) two external extractor types; the wider type on the E series guns (which Hilton Yam/10-8 said could be OK for duty use), and the thinner type on their "normal" / non-E series guns...which is about as thin as that if not thinner. You don't see them around as often anymore I guess..

@JohnK

Forgive me.... I must confess.... it has been quite sometime that I have shot.

We got new bosses and work has truly been challenging. "So when I used to sneak off to the range" is no longer in my thoughts. Our range (.25 miles from our office) since the late 60s is slowly closing due to noise complaints.

Plus we are in the HOT MONTHS in South Texas and its not fun to be outside with heat indexes well over 100.

Today, I decided to brave the heat.

JohnK was interested in the 17lbs recoil spring I was running in my personal MCOP. I did not have any follow up for him..... so I swapped the recoil springs from my personal MCOP into the duty MCOP.

Since I had not shot for well into or over 2 months I needed some trigger time.

I ran a drill a co-worker sent me were we take our qual course and we run it for time and thats our score. Those guys cheat with 9mm high cap RDS and I run plain irons and full patch 230 grains.

Even though it was hot/humid, I ran this COLD (no practice, no warm up). I felt this would be big slow and clumsy. I was right.

5 shots 25 yards
    10 shots 15 yards
    5 shots 7 yards under 5 seconds
    10 shots 7 yards with mandatory mag change under 20 seconds
    10 shots 5 yards with one hand right for 5 then switch and do the same left hand only
    10 shots 3 yards 2 shot drills X 5. Out of duty holster under 3 sec X 3. Ready position left hand only under 2 secs X 2.
    50 rounds total add your time for total score. Anything out of the A is plus 1 second.

JohnK
    It felt slow but the recoil impulse with 17 lbs recoil spring and 230 hard ball felt good. I ran about 100 rounds total with zero issues. I aimed high on A at 25 yards and one shot got away from me. I almost put one out up close with my left hand.

I originally scored this an 89, but I exceeded the time for left hand 3 yards.... so its a 90.

I also brought my ACW Classic Carry and it was much snappier recoil with the same ammo. (either older Rem or Fed 230 ball).

Since I was already warmed up, I shot this one at a faster pace. Two got away from me (sloppy)

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Does anyone have recommendations for a long trigger that doesn’t have a hole in the front of it for the over travel screw? Switching to full power .45 loads has made that a finger-blistering issue for me.

I’m only aware of the 10-8 offering, which I’m absolutely sure is excellent, but it’s currently only available as a flat face. I’ll try it if it’s the way to go, but I’d rather stick with long curved if possible since it’s what I’m used to. That and I know if I get a flat face for the .45 I’ll want (need?) another one for the 9 for consistency, since the point of those two is to be as similar to each other as possible.

Remove the trigger and dehorn the hole?

Does anyone have recommendations for a long trigger that doesn’t have a hole in the front of it for the over travel screw? Switching to full power .45 loads has made that a finger-blistering issue for me.

I’m only aware of the 10-8 offering, which I’m absolutely sure is excellent, but it’s currently only available as a flat face. I’ll try it if it’s the way to go, but I’d rather stick with long curved if possible since it’s what I’m used to. That and I know if I get a flat face for the .45 I’ll want (need?) another one for the 9 for consistency, since the point of those two is to be as similar to each other as possible.
    Harrison triggers are what you seek, but they do require some fitting...you can buy them directly from Harrison Custom, or via that link to Brownells.

The little screw in the back is actually silver soldered in (I believe; it's permanently affixed either way), and you need to file it down to set your overtravel. There's no hole in the front of the trigger.

User Tag List