Page 87 of 256 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137187 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

I have been using an old series 1 kimber CCO for a while. I needs frequent recoil spring changes, but other than that no issues.

I did try using on of the CMC mags for the officer size, but it would hit the ejector when fully inserted. The good news it that with a base plate swap it is a regular gov mag. I do plan on trying the Wilson base plate next.

More advice on Compact 1911 types: https://youtu.be/rjOPiZhEwA8

Site Supporter
    Corse et al

I was greasing up my Kimber Series I Custom Classic over the weekend and was checking its recoil spring.

IIRC, old school advice was 3000 rds for a 5 inch gun, 1000 rounds for a shorter gun with the caveat that if the old spring was 3 coils or more shorter than the new, replace regardless of round count.

As I no longer shoot a 1911 as a Primary platform, I tend to change the spring 1x per year during my birthday month. I am presently about 1/2 of a coil shorter than new. My guesstimate is that I have no more than 750 rounds thru the gun since the last recoil spring change which was probably mar 2019.

I am curious as to the interval you all use for recoil spring replacement?
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

FYI: Nighthawk has Flatwire kits for true commanders (like my Colt cco), and Wilson has kits for 4" guns. My gut feeling is that they will hold their length/strength better.

Site Supporter
    I keep new springs available, and also follow the 3 coils shorter rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Every 3,000 rounds on a 5 inch gun.
    Last edited by Amp; 02-11-2021 at 05:05 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I use chrome silicon springs and change them about every 5000 rounds. They could probably go longer.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Corse et al

I was greasing up my Kimber Series I Custom Classic over the weekend and was checking its recoil spring.

IIRC, old school advice was 3000 rds for a 5 inch gun, 1000 rounds for a shorter gun with the caveat that if the old spring was 3 coils or more shorter than the new, replace regardless of round count.

As I no longer shoot a 1911 as a Primary platform, I tend to change the spring 1x per year during my birthday month. I am presently about 1/2 of a coil shorter than new. My guesstimate is that I have no more than 750 rounds thru the gun since the last recoil spring change which was probably mar 2019.

I’m pretty sure the recommendation for the Kimber was around 1,000 rds. I try to stick close to that, since the spring does shorten significantly. I have been slowly moving to flat wire setups in my other 1911s. But I have had trouble finding setups for the commanders and shorter guns.

I’ll have to look at nighthawk and Wilson’s sites again.

Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    But I have had trouble finding setups for the commanders....
    https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/nigh...ommander-45acp

I change the recoil spring every 3k rounds and I found flat wire springs to be under whelming in the 1911.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List