Page 53 of 256 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Hey, I finally have another technical question!

Are the barrels for the external extractor 1911s the same as any other 1911 barrel? I'm thinking I might want a .38 Super barrel installed in my 9mm but I'm not finding any SW1911 specific barrels. I can't see any difference visually but I know better than to assume anything.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Hey, I finally have another technical question!

Are the barrels for the external extractor 1911s the same as any other 1911 barrel? I'm thinking I might want a .38 Super barrel installed in my 9mm but I'm not finding any SW1911 specific barrels. I can't see any difference visually but I know better than to assume anything.
    The barrel in a S&W 1911 is a regular barrel. Having a 38 Super barrel installed in your S&W 9mm should be the same as with any other manufacturer.

The external extractor pistols use the same barrels as the internal extractor pistols. The .38 Super barrel may (should) require fitting, and the S&W extractor may not function with factory .38 Super due to the semi-rimmed cartridge case. It is hit or miss with internal extractor pistols. I have no experience with the external extractor, so I cannot comment.

If you reload, I would suggest .38 Super Comp or 9x23 Winchester. Both are available (even now) as factory loads but are pricey. Eley offers a .38 Super Comp load (for USPSA major) and Winchester still loads 9x23 Winchester. .38 Super Comp is the .38 Super case with a normal rimless case.

Thanks @Robinson and @farscott!

It’s going to be a range toy so I'd rather stick with a caliber I already have but I’ll discuss reliability with whomever I have do the installation.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Jason, where do current Colt guns land in your experience with your comments in mind? My stainless 2015-vintage Series 70 Repro seems pretty well put together. other than possibly some minor extractor tuning needed to avoid BTF.

Best, Jon
    Sorry for the delay on this...

Current Colt guns are great... dimensionally consistent with good machining. They make great platforms on which to build.

With regards to barrel "fit", they are still a production gun with parts made to a spec' that allows for mass production. Not good, not bad, just is. As such most (all?) that I see here in the shop have a barrel fit that is in line with the price point.
    Heirloom Preicison
    www.heirloomprecision.com

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    [/COLOR]
    Everywhere I read about 1911s I read the same thing: Everything has to be fitted, nothing is drop-in. How do they expect that to work?

Does that explain so many 1911 problems?
    No... most of the problems I read about on forums or see in production guns is not due to the design but rather poor execution of it.

How do they expect it to work? The design is inherently forgiving so even given some common mistakes the gun(s) can function.

When done correctly the design is quite sound and remarkably durable, much more so than many on the internet give it credit and (hold on to your hats) often more so than many "modern" guns... but I admit to having a slight bias.
    Heirloom Preicison
    www.heirloomprecision.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Burton View Post
    Sorry for the delay on this...

Current Colt guns are great... dimensionally consistent with good machining. They make great platforms on which to build.

With regards to barrel "fit", they are still a production gun with parts made to a spec' that allows for mass production. Not good, not bad, just is. As such most (all?) that I see here in the shop have a barrel fit that is in line with the price point.
    Thanks, Jason. That backs up the experience I've had with my stainless Series 70 Repro; only issues experienced was some brass-to-face during the initial break-in period, which quickly worked itself out.

FWIW, I have been running with Lucas Red "N" Tacky #2 grease on the slide/receiver rails and barrel, but will probably switch to the slightly thinner viscosity TW25B, as I expereinced some sluggishness in slide reciprocation when I used it in an IDPA match a week or so ago, after I'd accumulated some rounds through it. Never a show-stopper, and zero malfunctions experienced; factory standard-pressure 230 gr ball ammunition used in Colt/Check-Mate 7 round hybrid feedlip, dimpled skirted follower stainless magazines.

Best, Jon

I think I found someone’s old game or serious use gun. Does anyone recognize this style of trigger guard mod?

Name:  F0605D1A-526F-4261-8103-B884A1576F73.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  32.1 KB

Site Supporter
    At one time it was fashionable to hook one's support hand index finger around the front of the trigger guard. I think some frames were produced like that, and others were modified to that shape. It would've been in the 80s IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I think I found someone’s old game or serious use gun. Does anyone recognize this style of trigger guard mod?

Name:  F0605D1A-526F-4261-8103-B884A1576F73.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  32.1 KB
    Didn't Devel do something like that in the late 70s and 80s?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List