Page 79 of 256 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

What are the best practices for securing grip bushings? Went to swap the panels on my XSE and one of the bushings came out with the screw. I’d already planned to replace them with slim bushings so it wasn’t some catastrophic discovery and I need to know how to properly replace and secure them anyway.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    What are the best practices for securing grip bushings? Went to swap the panels on my XSE and one of the bushings came out with the screw. I’d already planned to replace them with slim bushings so it wasn’t some catastrophic discovery and I need to know how to properly replace and secure them anyway.
    Red Loctite #271
    Heirloom Preicison
    www.heirloomprecision.com

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    The Les Baer Super Stinger was just not a happy camper at feeding time in general; it choked significantly less on ball but hollowpoints were a no go. I was so happy when I found it (a Commander or CCO in 38 Super was/is a dream gun) but when I got it to the range...well, the honeymoon was short.
    Les Baer used government length frame rails on his 4.25” guns. I don’t think he ever built one that was even close to reliable. Alchemy can correct the frame and make it run as well as a Commander can.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Les Baer used government length frame rails on his 4.25” guns. I don’t think he ever built one that was even close to reliable.
    Interesting.

Every time I think about trying a smaller-than-Government 1911, again, after swearing-off of them about two decades ago, y’all pull me back from the brink.
    Last edited by Rex G; 01-19-2021 at 12:39 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I think a Commander can run reliably, it's just that it can be a bit of a journey getting to that point, figuring exactly the right combination of springs, magazines, magazine followers, magazine lip configuration, appropriate replacement interval for the recoil spring, lubrication, cartridges, etc. It's do-able, but can be resource intensive (or just expensive), and you have to determine if the juice warrants the squeeze.

As Hilton Yam points out, fugetboutit for even thinking about going to a Commander for organizational use. If you want a compact .45 ACP for organizational use, HK 45 Compact, HK USP Compact, Glock G30/G30S ond other similar vetted platforms are out there.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Before using thin bushings, be sure that you own a screw extractor. When switching back and forth between standard and thin bushings, I have never successfully removed all four of the thin ones without stripping the screwdriver slot. This has never been a problem for me with standard bushings.

I no longer use thin grips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Interesting.

Every time I think about trying a smaller-than-Government 1911, again, after swearing-off of them about two decades ago, y’all pull me back from the brink.
    This has been my second Champion. This one a lightweight.

Attachment 66398

Id say its not as fast as a 5" steel gun nor as accurate at speed but Ive never timed or measured myself to figure out by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Les Baer used government length frame rails on his 4.25” guns. I don’t think he ever built one that was even close to reliable. Alchemy can correct the frame and make it run as well as a Commander can.
    I have one of these. LB told me that the cycling problems were because I was holding the gun wrong.

Yeah, let's go with that...

Site Supporter
    I've never had a desire for a Les Baer, but each time I see them mentioned here my opinion of them declines further...

There are some excellent options in his price range-Wilson Combat, Alchemy Arms, Nighthawk Custom, Ed Brown, Dan Wesson-why go for the questionable, and have a likelihood of having to deal with attitude if/when problems occur? Not the best business model/reputation to have...

Best, Jon

User Tag List