Page 83 of 256 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133183 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

For the near decade we were plagued with Gen4 Glocks my 1911s acted more like Glocks than Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    It’s so weird. I treat my 1911s exactly like my Glocks and they work the same as the Glocks. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.
    @JAD you're clearly doing a lot right, and I do know people who have reliable 1911s. On my squad, two had recently replaced extractors, and that may have caused problems. Another guy had multiple things going on with his Sig, including mag-related issues. The DW Valor "had been 100% until today", according to its owner. When I was into 1911s, that was the pattern for my guns. Fairly long runs of reliability, punctuated by unreliability requiring a lot of fiddling to figure out. I pointed one dude to a local 1911 smith with an excellent reputation. Hopefully that will get him squared away. The Atlas was the most surprising and disappointing, given the cost and reputation.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Today I shot a local match that was Single Stack themed (I didn't shoot that division). The Single Stack shooters there desperately needed to read this thread on keeping their 1911 running. I have never seen so many malfunctions at a USPSA match. On my squad, we had guns from Atlas, Dan Wesson, Sig, a full custom, and others I didn't pay attention to--in 9mm and .45. Not one single gun had fewer than 5 malfunctions, and most had far more.
    USPSA SS shooters have a few problems with hardware that make beating them generally as easy as shooting fish in a barrel.

1) They try to cheap out on everything.

2) They let some local race gun guy tune their gun.

3) They can’t reload worth a shit.

4) Their mags and their guns are junk and they try to make their reloads fix it.

5) They’re usually old and can’t see.

5B) They don’t care if they win. They’re there to escape from home, scrounge up brass, and maybe get lunch paid for by someone.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Today I shot a local match that was Single Stack themed (I didn't shoot that division). The Single Stack shooters there desperately needed to read this thread on keeping their 1911 running. I have never seen so many malfunctions at a USPSA match. On my squad, we had guns from Atlas, Dan Wesson, Sig, a full custom, and others I didn't pay attention to--in 9mm and .45. Not one single gun had fewer than 5 malfunctions, and most had far more.
    Half joking but many Boomers can't internet. It is probably why many 1911 guys have problems.

In some cases there's a certain amount of enthusiasm required to set up 1911s to run well. That requires actually reading sources that don't BS you with stuff like "Polish the feed ramp" or "Don't limp wrist"

Learning to diagnose and fix malfunctions is how you get stuff that works.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Talking to people who have trouble with their 1911s it's not rare to hear things that can be explained by user error. For example, not seating a magazine all the way in during a reload or not depressing the grip safety enough. Of course if it's a 9mm a whole bunch of other things come into play.

I honestly cannot remember that last time one of my 45s had a malfunction. Wait... now that I think of it none of the 45s I own has ever had a malfunction. Last time I had any sort of malfunction with a 1911 was during a class with a 38 Super when I made one of the mistakes described above. Before that, all the problems I had were with 9mm guns and even those ran pretty good.

My experience doesn't mean much in the scheme of things, but I always marvel at the reports of 1911s having all kinds of problems because it just hasn't been that way for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    They’re a game changer for me so I’m careful. I loctite the bushings in and use a carefully fitted screwdriver to turn them hard; I don’t cross-thread them; and I use a bit of blue on the grip screws themselves to prevent having to fuck with them. It works for me.
    The thin grip panels seem to work well for me paired with the Pearce finger grooves.
    Today, I came across a piece of information on Harrison's site that I had not seen before:
    https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/hd-300-s
    Quote:
    There are basically two versions of slim grips, those made by Altamont and those made by "Everyone Else". The Altamont grips are commonly found on some factory slim grip installations on Les Baer and Colt pistols. They are also found in the aftermarket. The Altamont grips, screws and bushings are of dimensions that are not compatible with any made by "Everyone Else".
    To identify Altamont grips, you can remove one of your screws and measure the OD of the head of the screw. Altamont screws measure .310" and "Everyone Else" screw heads measure .270". If you want to install a set of my slim Carry Groove grips on a pistol with the Altamont screws and bushings, you will need to replace the factory screws and bushings with either my HD-317 (blue) or HD-318 (S/S) screw and bushing set.

I bought my 1st set of thin grips from Altamont, as the screws and bushings were included in the price, and I could not find slotted thin screws anywhere else.

https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-gr...vernment/slim/

A pair of G10's is on order, and hopefully that will be that. But in light of this new info, changing them out for VZ or LOK might require new bushings/screws.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

It’s wise to buy screws and bushings from whoever you buy slim grips. I use Esmeralda and VZ with very good results.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    USPSA SS shooters have a few problems with hardware that make beating them generally as easy as shooting fish in a barrel.

4) Their mags and their guns are junk and they try to make their reloads fix it.

5B) They don’t care if they win. They’re there to escape from home, scrounge up brass, and maybe get lunch paid for by someone.
    6) The pistol had not been fired in months before the match. I am occasionally guilty of that one myself as I will not touch a match gun for months, pull it from the safe, run a bore snake down the barrel, and place it in my range bag. Then I am surprised that I have the wrong magazines for the pistol, especially 9x19 1911-pattern pistols. I actually have more luck running my six-inch heavy 2011 with no attention before the match as all of the magazines are for one 2011 -- and it is chambered in 9x23 Winchester.

If I was ever forced in one of those "What Would You Carry if You Had to Carry a Game Gun" scenarios, I would opt for that 9x23 2011. I would probably die from the weight of carrying it, but my pistol would be reliable.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post

This was what I saw locally, especially the shitty reloads part and especially with 2011’s.

Of course that was also way back in the last years of the AWB when I never saw a rifle match where at least half the AR’s didn’t go down because people were stuck using shitty mags and it made me think that all AR’s were garbage too.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

You forgot lubrication. I cannot count how many times somebody was struggling, asked me to help or come take a look, only to get to the safe area and find a bone dry gun with lots of carbon. The bad reloaded ammo things is epic and widespread, not just with single stack.

User Tag List