Page 174 of 256 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 2560

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

The McCormick RPM gives a longer tube than the PowerMag or PowerMag+, it's much like the difference between the 47 Series and ETM Series in the Wilson line-up, and has a follower with the more rounded tip and a slightly longer back leg, that should show less tipping than the standard Devel/Shooting Star follower, though it is still a Devel follower family member.

CMC RPM https://cmproducts.com/railed-power-...-magazine.html

They also have the wider/flared bumper pad that is common on most extended tube 8 rounders.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    The McCormick RPM gives a longer tube than the PowerMag or PowerMag+, it's much like the difference between the 47 Series and ETM Series in the Wilson line-up, and has a follower with the more rounded tip and a slightly longer back leg, that should show less tipping than the standard Devel/Shooting Star follower, though it is still a Devel follower family member.

CMC RPM https://cmproducts.com/railed-power-...-magazine.html

They also have the wider/flared bumper pad that is common on most extended tube 8 rounders.
    I have one 8 rounder which has been reliable, and I have 3-4 10 rounders (CMC RPM) but have not put enough time behind them to make an opinion.

My MCOP always had an issue with first round feed issues from slide locked to the rear and using slide release method and WC and original CMC 10 rounders.

I recently discovered that my MCOP had a very short frame feed ramp which might have been the culprit with the 10 rounders.

I watched a Hilton video (I am a Patreon member) on lengthening the feed ramp. I was very cautious and could have gone more, but I need to test out my 10 rounder RPMs.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    My MCOP always had an issue with first round feed issues from slide locked to the rear and using slide release method and WC and original CMC 10 rounders.
    I'd think I'd have already linked this article, but I'm too lazy to search the thread, so if it's already here, here it is again.

Single column nose dive issues https://americanhandgunner.com/gear/...e-1911-45-acp/

If you're in need of some extra grip on your front strap, this might be an option worth looking at.

I've become spoiled by the front strap checkering on my DW Valor and really found the lack of it on the CZ1911A1, well, lacking. I didn't want to go to the expense of real checkering and an associated refinish and skate board tape is too ghetto for me. I decided to give this ten dollar fix by Wilson Combat a try. So far it's been staying put and isn't too egregious aesthetically.

(Not my image)

Name:  p_965100001_1.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  33.5 KB
    Last edited by Trooper224; 12-15-2022 at 09:05 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

On the magazine front, I will offer up the ugly cousin of 8 rounders. Mec Gar has 8 rnd mags that I've used for years. The skirted follower doesn't give any issues jumping forward and dragging on the frame or feed ramp. Drop free and consistently lock the gun back. No issues with feed lip changes, polymer base pads take a beating.

Sent from my SM-A536U1 using Tapatalk

This thread has had me thinking about the basic "gunsmithing" skills a 1911 owner should have. The things you should be able to do if you are going to carry a 1911 on the regular and xant have 3 guns in rotation to Niggthawk or Wilson.

Profile, fit, and tension an extractor. -honestly this is likely the cause of more than 50% of 1911 feed issues.

Fit an firing pin stop. - this is so related to your extractor, with clocking issues, that you need to know how to handle it.

Fit a barrel bushing - this can dramatically improve a guns accuracy, resolve barrel springing issues.

Fit and adjust a magazine release - adjust the release to not trap magazines, fitting for extended releases, and possibly adjust magazine height in the frame.

If you can do these things, those are going to fix most problems. Or improve a stock pistol. And understanding how to do that short list of things can keep you from being frustrated and having a pistol that won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    If you're in need of some extra grip on your front strap, this might be an option worth looking at.

I've become spoiled by the front strap checkering on my DW Valor and really found the lack of it on the CZ1911A1, well, lacking. I didn't want to go to the expense of real checkering and an associated refinish and skate board tape is too ghetto for me. I decided to give this ten dollar fix by Wilson Combat a try. So far it's been staying put and isn't too egregious aesthetically.

(Not my image)

I’ve been using one of those for 30+ years now. It does the trick.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorikid View Post
    On the magazine front, I will offer up the ugly cousin of 8 rounders. Mec Gar has 8 rnd mags that I've used for years. The skirted follower doesn't give any issues jumping forward and dragging on the frame or feed ramp. Drop free and consistently lock the gun back. No issues with feed lip changes, polymer base pads take a beating.

I will stipulate that they’ll be fine as long as you get the stainless ones. I got two of the blued ones which immediately developed large potato chip flakes of rust. I sent them back to customer service which refunded the money. I used that to buy WC mags which are still working well bb

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post

(Not my image)

If anyone wants one let me know. Just pay shipping and you can have mine. I could not get it to stay put.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    If anyone wants one let me know. Just pay shipping and you can have mine. I could not get it to stay put.
    Little bit of Permatex RVT and mine has not moved in years

User Tag List