Page 69 of 256 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119169 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Not sure if it’s a great deal but Primary Arms has 47Ds on sale for $28/ea. Maybe worth buying with the intent of rebuilding?
    Not worth it IMO, the ETMs are $1.70 more. Just my couple of pennies. That is unless you REALLY desire some 7 rounders but again why not just go with the 47+P.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Not sure if it’s a great deal but Primary Arms has 47Ds on sale for $28/ea. Maybe worth buying with the intent of rebuilding?
    I'm not an enthusiastic fan of the 47D magazine, but they're not bad if you want to use them then throw them away when they stop feeding correctly, or retrofit them to 7 rounders.

They were good in the day. Revolutionary even. Now the design has been obviated by even Wilson's own product line.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I'm not an enthusiastic fan of the 47D magazine, but they're not bad if you want to use them then throw them away when they stop feeding correctly, or retrofit them to 7 rounders.

They were good in the day. Revolutionary even. Now the design has been obviated by even Wilson's own product line.

Or send them to Ed Brown with $10 for some fresh 8 rounders.

I typically just load 7rds in my 47Ds because I keep them with my 47s and its just easier. Ive never had an issue with them.

Is the problem with the 47Ds trying to force 8 rds in a 7rd tube or is there some other issue?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I typically just load 7rds in my 47Ds because I keep them with my 47s and its just easier. Ive never had an issue with them.

Is the problem with the 47Ds trying to force 8 rds in a 7rd tube or is there some other issue?
    Pretty much stuffing a flush fit length tube with 8 rounds will prematurely wear the magazine springs.

Won't have the same longevity as a 7 round 47 or an 8 round ETM in theory. In practice...people's experience varies, but mine has borne this out with both Wilson and CMC flush fit 8 rounders. I popped Tripp Super 7 kits in and drove on.

I have always had to replace the springs in my 47Ds that I use in competition yearly. I do that in January and last year the replacement springs were noticeably longer than the previous versions. I asked Wilson about it thinking they sent me the wrong springs and was told they changed their spring material. Almost 2 years later the mags are still running great and I haven't had issues with the slide not locking back when empty even when they are dirty. I use 4 mags for matches and they have close to 8,000rds thru them.

That said, the ETM, ETMHD and Vickers Duty mags are better options for a 8rd mag.
    Last edited by Amp; 12-10-2020 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    Not worth it IMO, the ETMs are $1.70 more. Just my couple of pennies. That is unless you REALLY desire some 7 rounders but again why not just go with the 47+P.
    I’m not hung up on 7 vs 8 but I didn’t see the ETMs before I posted. The 47Ds were in the email but yeah, I’d order the ETMs for less than $2 difference.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I don't know why Wilson still makes the 47Ds as the ETMs are a much better option.

People keep buying them.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    I don't know why Wilson still makes the 47Ds as the ETMs are a much better option.
    ETM's are ugly in pistols without a magwell. Some people want the 8rd and good looks too

User Tag List