Page 22 of 256 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    That ain’t my junk [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oops! That is what I get for starting at the bottom of the page, and scrolling up!

My sincere apologies to Trukinjp13!
    Last edited by Rex G; 09-09-2019 at 01:32 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    That pistol’s frame is toast. It might be salvageable, if re-cut for a ramped barrel, or used to host a .22 LR conversion unit, but I am guessing.

HEAVILY EDITED. My apologies for mistakenly thinking it was Trukinjp13’s 1911 being discussed.
    A frame with that "defect" could likely be repaired by a good gunsmith, using a steel feedramp insert:

http://www.egwguns.com/1911-parts/st.../instructions/

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    So now I'm doubting my magazines for an upcoming class. Have a couple 8 round PowerMags on hand and will test them Wednesday in both pistols. If they work I'll pick up a few more. If they don't I'll try some ETM's. The Wilson's I tried previously were 47's and didn't work but that was a different pistol.
    I didn't have good luck with 47s many years ago but ETMs have been outstanding in both 9mm and .45 for me these past few years. 100% GTG across like 15 of them or so.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I didn't have good luck with 47s many years ago but ETMs have been outstanding in both 9mm and .45 for me these past few years. 100% GTG across like 15 of them or so.
    I hadn't paid any attention to the differences between the ETM's and the 47's until this thread. I'm definitely going to try ETM's sooner or later.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    I strongly doubt you'll have any issues with CMC mags. They're usually a smidge cheaper than ETMs as well.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I hadn't paid any attention to the differences between the ETM's and the 47's until this thread. I'm definitely going to try ETM's sooner or later.
    ETM's have a longer tube and are designed for 8 rounds. The 47D is an 8 rounder in a 7 rounder tube.

Folks throw around the "Wilson 47" term pretty loosely. There are different models of Wilson 47 mags and it makes a difference which one you're talking about.

In full size mags, the 7 round 47 and the 8 round 47D use the same tube length, but different followers and springs. The full size, 7 round, 47 is still one of the best mags in the Wilson line-up. The full size, 8 round 47D, is probably the worst mag in the Wilson line-up. It's not a bad mag, but in every group, no matter how good the group is, there has to be a worst.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I strongly doubt you'll have any issues with CMC mags. They're usually a smidge cheaper than ETMs as well.
    They are, but the CMC mag that is comparative to the Wilson ETM is the CMC RPM mag, and those are priced similarly to the Wilson ETM. Both have an extended length tube.

CMC RPM https://www.cmproducts.com/view_cart.asp?catid=26

Wilson ETM https://shopwilsoncombat.com/1911-El...oductinfo/500/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    ETM's have a longer tube and are designed for 8 rounds. The 47D is an 8 rounder in a 7 rounder tube.

Folks throw around the "Wilson 47" term pretty loosely. There are different models of Wilson 47 mags and it makes a difference which one you're talking about.

In full size mags, the 7 round 47 and the 8 round 47D use the same tube length, but different followers and springs. The full size, 7 round, 47 is still one of the best mags in the Wilson line-up. The full size, 8 round 47D, is probably the worst mag in the Wilson line-up. It's not a bad mag, but in every group, no matter how good the group is, there has to be a worst.
    This matches my experience. I don't mind using the 47D mags for practice, but in my carry gun I use a 47 loaded 7+1.

I've used the ETM 9mm mags with good results but I haven't tried ETM 45 mags.

I've honestly never had trouble with 47Ds, but I treat them like expendable items. When they fail to lock back on empty, they get dumped into the rebuild box. When I get a few of them in there, I order Tripp Super 7 kits and rebuild them.

I'm on my last three 47Ds now. I just ordered a half-dozen ETMs and Tripp kits to rebuild the last of the 47Ds.

Where are these inexpensive multi-packs of ETM's at? I'm finding them for $32-$35 per magazine but can't seem to do better than that.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List