Page 151 of 256 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161201251 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 2560

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

I'd be real reluctant to take a 1911 that I liked and had for years to try to improve its cosmetics with my own hands instead of a more experienced smith.

I've found that blue guns can sometimes save me money and effort. I've got two Wilson blue guns with the Wilson factory "high grip" cut to contrast against my Colt and SA with their corresponding "Mil-Spec" sort of grip. It's easier to see a difference in the guns (and sure, the Wilson grip is pretty) than it is to feel any kind of difference.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    first of all, HAHHAHAHAHAHA

I tried to word my post in an attempt to avoid me doing the work as these hands have zero finesse.
    FWIW my post was in jest. I’m willing to experiment and fiddle with things but I’ll usually pay a professional when a “whoops!” means an expensive fix or a complete replacement. BTDT and learned the hard way with an N Frame S&W…
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

this was a gift to me in 1988 and my 1990s first attempt in fitting a grip safety... I over cut the frame in several areas.

ACW before current ACW fixed some areas but not all could be fixed.

Then most recent, I had the front strap checkered and high cut front strap!

I might see if the latter would be willing/able to high cut before I attempt any hack job.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

this was a gift to me in 1988 and my 1990s first attempt in fitting a grip safety... I over cut the frame in several areas.

Then most recent, I had the front strap checkered and high cut front strap!

I might see if the latter would be willing/able to high cut before I attempt any hack job.
    That's nice work, I snipped and put them together side by side. You can tell how little was removed and how smooth the work is finished. Did it make a big difference in feel - talking about the cut not the checkering.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

that high cut on the officers is very nice. I can feel a difference because the cut is distributed further up the trigger guard...

it is my preferred high cut style, but as the Janitor said, I can still shoot it... so its just a want, not really a need.

Insert Original Veruca Salt... I want it

I love seeing a pistol grow up in stages!
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

anyone got the blues? Dan Wesson Blued Valor 5" .45 acp!

I bought this dude on a whim as I always thought this piece was coo. They dried up and almost nonexistent on the used market. Its a nice piece.... needed some tuning on the extractor and I did some other mods. I ran 100 rounds down range yesterday and it was hot.

I was sweaty but I thought I was being careful and wiping any sweat off.

I take it home, and a few hours later... I take it apart and there was a small rust blob underneath the slide stop and thumb safety that ate the bluing. URGHHH!!!

should I have some spray oil and after shooting, coat it down in some rags?

or silicone cloth, rig rag but none of that would have prevented the rust underneath the two parts that also had plenty of oil there too.

I did use some old EWL, and I looked it up and it's a CLP. "our enhanced preservative immediately bonds itself and forms a barrier film on the surface that displaces water and provides a corrosion resistant barrier against rust and dirt."

I would assume, the few hours was a few too many to address this blued 1911.

I bought this dude on a whim as I always thought this piece was coo. They dried up and almost nonexistent on the used market. Its a nice piece.... needed some tuning on the extractor and I did some other mods. I ran 100 rounds down range yesterday and it was hot.

I take it home, and a few hours later... I take it apart and there was a small rust blob underneath the slide stop and thumb safety that ate the bluing. URGHHH!!!

or silicone cloth, rig rag but none of that would have prevented the rust underneath the two parts that also had plenty of oil there too.

I did use some old EWL, and I looked it up and it's a CLP. "our enhanced preservative immediately bonds itself and forms a barrier film on the surface that displaces water and provides a corrosion resistant barrier against rust and dirt."

Probably unnecessary advice but don't forget to check under the grip panels. That has always been my problem area.

Nice 1911! I’m hard on bluing, so I stick with stainless for anything I’ll carry.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter

That’s one nice blaster.

Unfortunately sweat combined with Southern Humidity is why I can’t own nice things like blued guns. My sweat is extra corrosive and any little bit I miss will eat the bluing off a gun in a day or two. I once corroded the clearcoat off a smith j frame in two days and even my early 3rd gen Glocks with the good tennifer will rust if I’m not careful. I’ll be watching to see if you come up with a solution, but so far I haven’t found a great one.

Speaking of corrosive sweat when I worked at a bike shop we had a dude whose sweat ate half way through the aluminum top-tube of his bicycle one winter when he was using it indoors on a trainer and not wiping it down enough. Some folks just lost the genetic lottery when it comes to corrosion and sweat.

User Tag List