Page 42 of 256 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Looks like they are missing the ejector and getting trash compacted by the slide!

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    Looks like they are missing the ejector and getting trash compacted by the slide!
    My SWAG is the last round is hitting the ejector (the previous 7 in both mags ejected just fine) but the slide is almost short stroking and without another round underneath to provide some extra oomph as it rises up, it's not clearing the ejection port before the back of the port catches the base, spins it around and we get what we got here today: a failure to communicate fully eject.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

CT State Police SWAT no longer uses a 1911

[QUOTE=JohnO;924385]About 2 years ago I was in a Pat Mac class and a bunch of CT State SWAT guys were in the class. A few just got their 1911's back from Cerberus after getting refurbished. There were a couple guys with nice single shot 1911's. Their slides were locking back after every round and couldn't understand why. I asked if I could take a look and the problem immediately became apparent. The lobe on the slide lock lever was protruding inboard too far. It was copper colored because the FMJ rounds they were using were bumping into the lobe as they rose up in the magazine causing the slide to lock open. Definite No Go for duty use and mostly useless in class.

I'm Christopher Provost, the guy who designed and built those guns of which there were only 40 Qty. I could go into a lengthy story about the SPTU and how fubared they are, but I won't because I retired from the Thin Blue Line. But EVERYTHING you saw at a Pat Mac was NOT what was delivered to SPTU in June of 2008. To make a HUGE story short, instead of coming to me, they "thought" they could play Kitchen Table Gunsmith and do their own modifications to firearms they were "allowed" to purchase from the State of CT roughly in 2013 (?). The serial number SPTU 001 (upgraded to Mark V standards) is STILL in the hands of the now retired team leader and to paraphrase my friend "that PISTOL was the ONLY thing that WORKED every time I NEEDED it!" And he STILL has it! That was the Mark I Series. We were under contract to produce 5 pistols a year and UPGRADE ALL of the pistols as they had done some crazy things NEVER seen before on a 1911. EXAMPLE: One Trooper left his pistol, SPTU 033, on top of his cruiser and drove down I-95 at speed where it was thrown from the vehicle and was subsequently run over by several tractor trailers until a driver SAW it was a pistol, braved traffic, called the State and turned it in. It NEEDED work, but the State didn't want to pay. To bring this to a conclusion, I will NEVER do work with the STATE AGAIN. They broke every ASPECT of the contract. We delivered EARLY and ON BUDGET only to be investigated because someone on the inside was WORKING FOR GLOCK! When Glock didn't get the contract, Glock was NOT HAPPY. So, stories were told and the team leader and I were investigated at a cost MORE than what it was to PRODUCE THE FIREARMS, MAGAZINES AND ALL ACCESSORIES NEEDED.

I trained them for 5 days on the range where they PROMPTLY won the CT SWAT CHALLENGE.......and then I was struck down with a medical issue. I SOLD my remaining frames to my brother from a Danish Mother Alex Zimmermann of Guncrafter Industries. He built "his" version of the Big DOG pistol and called it the AMERICAN after me since he was Danish. Quite frankly my physicians didn't know if I'd live, so why NOT sell the frames to him......and then the Barbara Streisand started where folks thought it was a GI design.

I designed the ORIGINAL 8 round magazine which Derek Dibble of MetalForm produced. Mr. Dibble Sold the company and I wasn't going to purchase the inferior product THE NEW OWNERS wanted to produce with my logo on it so they SOLD them to Ed Brown who named them the 8 Pack. I went to CheckMate and we worked together to design the Ultimate Fighting Magazine. Unfortunately, I was still ill as Tommy the owner of Checkmate worked to produce the tooling. Tommy passed prematurely after a meeting during summertime and my health took another turn for the worse. I pretty much fell off the globe in 2008 and have finally resurfaced 14 years later. I'm NOT DEAD YET! In the meantime we're up to the Mark V series of DOG guns where EVERYTHING is my design, right down to the sights! In fact if you look at American Handgunner Magazine from this past winter, you'll see where Guncrafter Industries uses some MY PRODUCTS in his new series of pistols. As I said, Alex and I are family. We just live in different parts of the country.

I hope that sheds a sliver of light upon the situation. As anyone who knows me will have told you. You could have reached out at anytime and even from a hospital bed, I would have taken the time to speak with you.

This thread is filled with awesome!!! Ive got a pair of Colts, one is my EDC and one is being turned into an XSE of sorts at the moment. Both started as base Colt 80 series government models, serial #'s are a good bit apart. Love these beauties, accuracy is fantastic, reliable as anything, comfy to carry, fun to shoot, just solid fun pistols. My mags range from old GI issue to new Wilson and CMC mags, need to get a few tripp cobras and a few ETM to play with.

Those 10-8 Yam grips are fantastic and impossible to find, very nice! I hope my son enjoys my old carry pistols some day the same way. Name:  c19.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  32.5 KB This is the one turning into an XSE style!

One of the absolute best buys in 1911 grips that I've found are Magpuls; they're about $20, and come in 2 textures the last time I checked; both have the scoop for magazine release access.

VCDs, or grips the VCD treats with their texturing are absolutely superb-and also represent a huge value on the price/operational excellence continuum.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    One of the absolute best buys in 1911 grips that I've found are Magpuls; they're about $20, and come in 2 textures the last time I checked; both have the scoop for magazine release access.

VCDs, or grips the VCD treats with their texturing are absolutely superb-and also represent a huge value on the price/operational excellence continuum.

Best, Jon
    the aren't good looking, but you will thank yourself when you WHACK a metal door frame. thats what we have at work plus I am a tad wider than most. Grip texture is nice for $20 grips.

Good Looking and $69 new

A (1) in the looks dept but $20
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Cool

VCD's would likely saw through the door jamb and have it begging for mercy during any inadvertant brushings....

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    VCD's would likely saw through the door jamb and have it begging for mercy during any inadvertant brushings....

Best, Jon
    That's no joke! First time out with mine I discovered I need to knock an edge down just a tad right where my support hand clamps over my social and ring fingers.

Gratuitous pic with VCD grips...
    Name:  IMG_3021.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  68.5 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I love VCD’s. I have three or four sets now. I haven’t tried one of his new sets yet but need to.

Name:  EB82A61F-F4D3-4E46-AD89-4E334E1B128A.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  100.7 KB
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I had a set of the Magpul 1911 grips for a spell. If you're looking for the smallest grip circumference you can get with standard bushings they are what you're looking for. The aren't rounded like most grips, they have more of a triangle profile to them. My hands are a little too big for them and went with a set of VZ's but other than that I was very happy with them.

Magpuls
    Name:  1911.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  101.5 KB

The VZs I went to.
    Name:  operator.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  45.2 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List