Page 127 of 256 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137177227 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 2560

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Range and occasional carry. Who knows, if I love it and get back to where I was with the Garthwaite (that level of 1911 love and such) then carry and go to except for comps. I have an m&P for that and an m&P compact and j frame if the steel boy is too much in summer.

I tend to like the looks of Baer and colt customs and alchemy. I love blue but I’m a hesitant sometimes about potential rust. Probably not be an issue.

I do like a happy medium between classic with a touch of modern. Likely 45.
    Shouldn't be too hard to find a gently used Baer in the $1800-$2300 range. Heck there is a brand new Premier II on Gunbroker right now for $2300.

You might be able to find a Colt Special Combat Government in that same price range if you look for a while.

Either of the above guns would give you a hand-fit barrel and bushing, fine accuracy, and classic styling.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Shouldn't be too hard to find a gently used Baer in the $1800-$2300 range. Heck there is a brand new Premier II on Gunbroker right now for $2300.

You might be able to find a Colt Special Combat Government in that same price range if you look for a while.

Either of the above guns would give you a hand-fit barrel and bushing, fine accuracy, and classic styling.
    Both choices are lovely. I was looking at the Baer UTC as well.

Alchemy prime on its way this summer

Great choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    Great choice!
    Dealer offered me one with white dot and ringed hammer due in October. I took that instead. Sucks to wait but it gives me some relief saving up.

Site Supporter
    I’m kinda relieved too. I was debating on offering you a blued DW Valor as I’m thinking about moving from full steel government to lightweight commander length so I can carry it more. Now I don’t have to stress over the decision; I love that gun!!

Commander sized guns with a lightweight frame are great carry guns.
    Very comfortable.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I got my WC BP Extractor and matching Firing Pin Stop.

I carefully examined the 2009 SACS WC BP extractor in my personal MCOP that was filed on by Hilton Yam in 2012.

Read notes and viewed images on the internet.

Advice from a message sent to me on this forum and got it installed!!!!!! Test fire in a day or two.

I was also using the damaged extractor as a guide and noticed it was nowhere "fitted" or "tuned" whatsoever.

I have been throwing my spent brass in a box and grabbed a handful and was disgusted at what I saw.

The extractor (factory is my guess) was destined to fail. It was leaving a decent extractor gouge in the brass.

My best guess, I have something over 1K and the failure occurred. I am now believing my poor grip and slowing the slide down with my thumb had nothing to do with the two malfunctions.

The outside edge of the extractor had too much material and was digging into the case taper just above the extractor groove. I wonder if the S bend was caused by the extractor over time in a bind against the 1K+ brass.

Lesson learned... especially on a duty carry piece. OUCH!

Just because it originally worked, does not mean it will work down the road.

I also noticed my personal SACS MCOP extractor tip has a lot of wear. The hook appears thin.... it will be replaced soon.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Man that's some gouges! I would think the S was from that, sure looks like the extractor was in a helllofa bind when the slide slammed shut.

Congrats great to hear you’re back in the game!

User Tag List