Page 251 of 256 FirstFirst ... 151201241249250251252253 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,510 of 2560

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

I agree, CQB. I don't like plastic followers in 1911s.

Somehow though, they work really well in my Smith gen 3s and Sheilds.

Just like Smith's external extractors in their 1911s and gen 3s, they work well (at least all of mine have).

I have a DW A2 5" and a SA Loaded 5" 1911. I prefer the follower in the Checkmate magazine. The link below is for info purposes. I have bought a total of 8 7-round Checkmate magazines like in the link, but in the blued version. They work 100% in both my 1911s. I have also used Chip McCormick Power Mag and the Railed Power Mag, both function 100% as well. The only polymer follower magazines I have are Wilson Combat 7-round versions. They function fine too. For 8-round magazines, I purchase those that were designed from the jump for 8 rounds. The magazines mentioned appear to have wadcutter feedlips. The magazines that came with the DA A2 are 8-rounders with what I believe are hybrid (?) feedlips. They feed fine too.

https://www.topgunsupply.com/check-m...-magazine.html

I have used TGS in the past and been extremely happy with my purchases through them.

Two random questions to throw out here.

One, has any option materialized for an ALS mechanism holster for a 1911 with a dot but without a rail or light? I think the answer is no but thought I’d check.

More in line with the thread, am I the only person who has the damndest time with Checkmate/Ed Brown mags wanting to jettison their top round during routine handling or when just sitting in the mag pouch? These are great mags for me so far with just that one problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    I agree, CQB. I don't like plastic followers in 1911s.

Somehow though, they work really well in my Smith gen 3s and Sheilds.
    ... and Glock's, SIG's, Beretta's, HK's, CZ's, etc.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    ... and Glock's, SIG's, Beretta's, HK's, CZ's, etc.

You're dead right. I didn't mention them because, this is a 1911 thread, and here on PF no one ever goes off-topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    More in line with the thread, am I the only person who has the damndest time with Checkmate/Ed Brown mags wanting to jettison their top round during routine handling or when just sitting in the mag pouch? These are great mags for me so far with just that one problem.
    Ed Brown's mags are CheckMate products and I believe the 7 and 8 round .45 Auto mags use the "hybrid" feed lip. It is a Colt design, I think from the 1970's, that Metalform has also used in their Colt mags (current Colt mags are CheckMates).

I'm not a fan of the hybrid feed lips, at least in the CheckMate mags (I have some old Metaforms that work great). My experience with the CheckMate hybrid lipped mags is much like yours, I get inertia feeding, and the top round sometimes can pop out when drawing the mag from a mag pouch or if carrying the mag loose in a pocket.

I like CheckMate's 1911 mags in general, but I avoid their hybrid lipped models and prefer those with wadcutter feed lips (for reference, Wilson, McCormick, Tripp, ACT-Mag, and just about everybody, uses wadcutter feed lips in their 1911 mags), and I also avoid CheckMate's non-extended tube 8 rounders. They are a very tight squeeze with 8 in the tube and the slide forward.

I do like the CheckMate Patented Follower (CMF), though. It is similar to the Devel/Shooting Star follower Chip McCormick used, but with a front leg to keep it in the tube. The Devel follower is a little more size efficient, but the CMF works well.

Going 10-8 tomorrow.

Ran 200 rounds of hard ball and 230 GD today with CheckMate 8s and some older CMC PM 8s.

I had two bobbles where the first time it happened; something did not feel right but it happened so quick... I was not able to diagnose.

Slide stuck open and a live cartridge out of the mag and half in the chamber.

When it happened the 2nd time, I realized it was me with a sloppy support hand and the pistol separated from my support hand.

I believed the slide short stroked caused by my puss support hand grip.

I gripped hard the rest of the 200 rounds and no issues. Other than that, zero issues.

CheckMate, the 8th round to load is a bich. I changed all my CMC PM followers to the + rounded version. No issues with either brand of mag.

I almost jacked up two rounds. I shot one high in the head shooting fast and my dot was still high. And trying to double tap with speed and my gun was still high and shot in the neck.

I also never shot with the irons and Red Dot off. I figured it would be off.

It shoots high and I started and 3 yards and worked my way back. Since I only had see far glasses, it was hard for me to hold at the same spot on the target (X) since the target was blurry the further I stepped back.

thats 5.5" high at 25 yards. No head shots with irons from that distance, however body... all day long.

The current front sight is a custom install by Dawson Precision as my dovetail was WAY OVERSIZED! I am not sure if they want to tackle it again, but I need a taller front sight.

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 03-11-2024 at 11:38 PM.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

If Dawson will work with you on the sight and you can live with something other than fiber, you may consider getting a plain black sight installed and ordering it on the tall side so you can file it down to dial it in. That would hopefully ensure they don’t have to fit a third one, so maybe they’d be open to it?

Regarding the bobbles, does the gun work SHO and WHO? If so I think you’re correct to blame a sloppy support and and drive on. I had a similar experience recently where I was shooting from an improvised rest to remove variables (ended up confirming that my dot zero had walked), and I had premature lockback with carry mags and carry ammo in my backup/trainer 1911. It was concerning until I was able to pretty well confirm that the different support hand placement shooting off a bag was pushing up on the slide stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    If Dawson will work with you on the sight and you can live with something other than fiber, you may consider getting a plain black sight installed and ordering it on the tall side so you can file it down to dial it in. That would hopefully ensure they don’t have to fit a third one, so maybe they’d be open to it?

Regarding the bobbles, does the gun work SHO and WHO?
    We think alike. I was wanting to dial it close but taller and adjust to my zero. Plain black post is what I want, no wider than .125".

The gun works great. I am confident it's good to go for duty use.

Rob told me some Springers don't like WC mags. It was only two mags of my 5 WC ETMs that would cause issues.... so, I am sure it's a tolerance thing.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Site Supporter

Revolver Bob

Thank you Revolver Bob, for the excellent information and links you provided. The Hilton Yam link has been dead for some time. I have the 2nd edition Kuhnhausen book on the way. I read a 1911 book by Walt Kuleck that bumped up my knowledge a bit. I read a 1911 book by Patrick Sweeney I found rather disappointing as he speaks to several topics that are only remotely related to the gun.

I'm beginning to assemble a basic gun tool assortment. I have a Wheeler hollow ground screwdriver set, a plastic bushing wrench, a Wheeler trigger gauge and a few other small goodies so far.

It didn't take me long to see and understand the obsession some 1911 owners have with the gun. It's a revered gun, and I totally get and appreciate that. Obsessing over minutia keeps people out of trouble and I'm sure much of it pays off.

I read a JMB biography written by his family a few months ago. It's a good read. The man was quite fascinating. He came up with new firearm designs and actions practically every week. Mechanics were on his mind every waking hour. I didn't know his rifle, shogun and even machine gun designs are still in use today, perhaps with some alterations/upgrades.

Meanwhile I'm only trying to learn how only one of his gun designs operates. to know he had well operating auto pistols running 120-30 years ago is rather astounding!

User Tag List