Page 110 of 256 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120160210 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 2560

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Technical question that I don’t think has been addressed yet. What’s involved with fitting a thumb safety? I sort of remember fiddling with the one in the Rock Island kit I assembled but I don’t think I really had to fit it.

I’m debating either buying a late 70s set up almost like I want it or taking the early 2010s Series 70 I already have and setting up like I want. One of the things I’ll have to change on the one I have is to replace the ambi safety with a single sided safety. Probably a Wilson BP. The other thing is having the front strap checkered or stippled but figuring out who/when/how much is for another post.
    Two main things.

First on the outside. The shoulder on the front of the thumb safety that interacts with the plunger may need some adjustment. This will depend on what safety you choose as well as the shape of the plunger tip that it will interface with.

Next on the inside. The sear engagement lug will often need some filing and/or stoning. The way to tell if this is going to need fitting is, if the safety seems mushy on/off instead of having a nice "click" on and off -- hold the hammer all the way to the rear (beyond where it would normally sit when cocked) and disengage the safety. If it seems better with the hammer pressed all the way back then the sear engagement lug needs some attention. It's typical to see a flat surface on the lug where some filing has already been done, but not always. Knowing exactly what the geometry of that lug should be is something that you should learn before attempting it. There are probably some videos on the 'net that explain it. Sorry I don't have any good pictures handy.

In either case, go slowly to avoid removing too much material because that will ruin your safety. It is essential that the thumb safety works properly in order for the gun to be used safely.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Technical question that I don’t think has been addressed yet. What’s involved with fitting a thumb safety? I sort of remember fiddling with the one in the Rock Island kit I assembled but I don’t think I really had to fit it.

I’m debating either buying a late 70s set up almost like I want it or taking the early 2010s Series 70 I already have and setting up like I want. One of the things I’ll have to change on the one I have is to replace the ambi safety with a single sided safety. Probably a Wilson BP. The other thing is having the front strap checkered or stippled but figuring out who/when/how much is for another post.
    I am sure there are various techniques and great videos or links. I have been to Colt and 10-8 Armorer. IIRC, at Colt school.... we had to fit thumb safety and sears in class. The more you do, the more confidence you gain.

I much prefer the 10-8 Armorers block as it holds you thumb safety square to the block for ease of fitting/filing. I use a very worn fine diamond file and just keep my file square with the block. I take a little off here and there and test fit, repeat.

Remove hammer, sear, disconnector, plunger tube springs/detent and grip safety and then install the thumb safety to check for free movement and address any issues.

When fitting the lug, install hammer, sear and disconnector. Only remove a little material at a time then test fit. (Cant put removed material back on).

I also fit for best feel and like positive audible clicks.

sometimes the plunger tube detent contact area of the thumb safety needs attention to smooth up rotation or minimize contact with the plunger tube.

and from a cosmetic or grip feel.... the flats of the thumb safety might over hang the contours of the frame.

you cant see it in this photo, but when the thumb safety in the down/off position... the contours of the frame and thumb safety dont match. To the untrained eye... you will never see or feel it, but I see it. I will snap a photo from a better angle tonight. I will eventually address that blending and then try to get my ambi safety refinished to match the DW finish.

if you have a junk safety or two that dont drop in.... practice on those. and watch various videos and read links to gain confidence. I am sure I read this in my Kuhnhausen manual some decades ago which would also help.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Thanks @Robinson and @SW CQB 45, that gives me something to think about. The right side of the ambi currently on my Colt falls out when the grip panel is removed so I figure as long as I’m having to fiddle with it, I might as well put what I want in it.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I like Wilson Combat and EGW type ambi as they are designed so the “lefty” side lever does not loosen like the ones that are retained by the grip with weak male/female connection. Of course they are higher in cost.

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I like Wilson Combat and EGW type ambi as they are designed so the “lefty” side lever does not loosen like the ones that are retained by the grip with weak male/female connection. Of course they are higher in cost.
    True, yet worth it to us southpaws.

Both are solid, but the EGW is better than the Wilson, IME, since it fits better, in that in use, with the right side thumb safety lever off (down), it doesn't interfere with proper deactivation of the grip safety the way the Wilson does, at least in my hands.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    True, yet worth it to us southpaws.

Both are solid, but the EGW is better than the Wilson, IME, since it fits better, in that in use, with the right side thumb safety lever off (down), it doesn't interfere with proper deactivation of the grip safety the way the Wilson does, at least in my hands.
    It sounds like a improper installation of the Wilson Safety. Not fitted to the gun properly and the EGW may just be a better fit for your pistol’s geometry.

here are those pics of how the back edge of the thumb safety crossed over the contour line of the frame.
    Ever so slight, and I hope it does not take a lot of work since I have to remove some back edge of the thumb safety and then straighten and match the bevel on both levers.
    I cannot feel it when I grip it and shoot it (its Nina), so I am not in any hurry and will wait for the cooler months. I would then like to get them refinished matching the finish of the DW.

you can see the minimal shadow created by the slight overhang

this does not happen in all pistols and thumb safeties.

I will add that I have been having problems with my ACW Classic Carry but its not what you think.

The round of the grip safety is/was digging into my thumb/web area. Rob (ACW) made mention there is a cost when going with high grip safeties. This does not happen with my left hand and shooting Staccato's also has the same affect on my hand (pain)

here is my issue and with .45 FULL BALL .... OUCH! I will not wear gloves at this time.

here is my ACW thumb safety in original config

Here is the Staccato thumb safety

both guns are painful for me to shoot right handed... left has no pain.

my personal MCOP..... NO PAIN with WCBP thumb safety

so I went to work on my ACW thumb safety contour.

It still needs some fine tuning but my pain has been reduced to almost nothing.

I want to get a black Harrison trigger but Brownells is on backorder and I had a ambi WCBP thumb safety laying around.

I ordered my silver/short triggers direct from Harrison:

https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/triggers-for-1911s
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I want to get a black Harrison trigger but Brownells is on backorder and I had a ambi WCBP thumb safety laying around.

I ordered my silver/short triggers direct from Harrison:

https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/triggers-for-1911s
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List