Page 86 of 253 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136186 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I've had a mainspring housing pin crack and it didn't appear to affect the function of the gun. I know others that have had this occur as well.
    It broke in half and the mainspring housing was barely kept in the frame. We will see once replaced but I am pretty confident the Para would not function reliably as it was about to eject the complete mainspring housing. I got him to order new recoil spring and new mag springs on same order though to be sure.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    That is exactly how I've chosen to approach it myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I think that's a really good place to start. You'll have a very decent gun (if it runs) that can be modified over time if needed. Note that Springfield Armory tends to under-spring their 9mm guns -- I would suggest an 11# recoil spring in place of the original.

Modern adjustable sights are actually fairly robust, though not to the same degree as fixed sights. I've carried Colts with Bomar-style sights and used them at multiple training classes and they were never a problem. Colt rounds the corners on theirs and I prefer that over sharp corners so yeah rounding those off a bit might be a good idea.
    I am liking the idea more and more. I'm not sure if I am deluding myself or not, but I think an adjustable sight gun that is only slightly tweaked and then left pretty much alone mechanically - after vetting - might actually be the better fit for me at this particular time in my life.

And the initial cost of this particular RO plus a pair of grips, a couple more magazines and a recoil spring would be almost miniscule.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

... Off topic slightly.....

I run adjustable Williams Firesights on my M&P2. 0.
    Once set, they've never moved.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Any specific tips, tricks, problems to watch out for when carrying something that has the safety hole exposed due to a super high cut grip safety? My Ed Brown, like most Ed Browns, has this. It looks to me like it's just begging for extra sweat moisture to creep in there and cause problems, so I was already planning on trying to protect it with lubrication and maybe detail strip the frame more often than I otherwise would to make sure nothing is rusting. Mostly curious as to how frequently that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    It looks to me like it's just begging for extra sweat moisture to creep in there and cause problems,
    It's never caused me a problem in years. You can pull the thumb safety, without tools, and not disassembling the gun, so it's easy to inspect and add oil

Is the CCO (4.25) equal to a commander model in terms of reliabity?

Also could full size magazines be used as long as you don't slam them home into the ejector?

If I bought one I would carry only proper officer mags, but it would be nice to be able to use my full size mags.

Thanks.

My CCO is 100%. I have not over inserted a GM mag. It is seductive to carry and I shoot it as well as a regular LWC. Strong recommendation, in .45.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post

Also could full size magazines be used as long as you don't slam them home into the ejector?

If I bought one I would carry only proper officer mags, but it would be nice to be able to use my full size mags.

Thanks.

I think they’re a little better with officers size 6 round mags because the shorter the round stack, the less nosedive to mitigate.

Wilson makes a steel base plate with an over-insertion stop just for full size mags in an officers frame.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Base-Pa...uctinfo/47BOX/

My .45 Auto Colt Gunsite CCO (originally worked over by Steve Morrison) has been 100% reliable with Tripp 7-round Cobra magazines and Colt OEM Officer's Model (plus one in the chamber of course) during the past 11 years. Never kept track of round count, probably only a couple thousand, but never a glitch, FWIW.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post

Thanks.
    If using full size mags, you should use those with a bumper pad designed to make them Officer size mags, like these from Wilson and McCormick

Wilson 8 round Officer mag https://shopwilsoncombat.com/8-Round/products/375/

McCormick https://www.cmproducts.com/Power-Mag...ess_p_197.html

Wilson has some very good information on compact guns and mag and ammo choices in their FAQ section https://www.wilsoncombat.com/faqs/

In summation - short slides move fast, high recoiling ammo makes them move faster, more heavy rounds in a mag tube are harder for the mag spring to lift and don't always keep up with this slide speed. Avoid +P, and/or 230gr ammo, and you are better off with fewer rounds in the mag.

User Tag List