Page 14 of 256 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    RR,

Thanks for the edumication.

Per a previous post of mine, sorting out details prior to a 1911 purchase. In the meantime, toying with an older SA Champion. The gun has always had on/off feeding issues. Without digging too deep, this will help me do some troubleshooting.

Any particular mags more suited towards the ramped Champion barrels?

This would be my pick
    https://shopwilsoncombat.com/1911-Ma...ctinfo/47C-HV/

There was another thread started today referencing a Hilton Yam interview. This caused me to look at his 10-8 website. On it he has a section on recommended maintenance/parts replacement.

http://www.10-8performance.com/pages...-in-1911s.html

His recommendations seem pretty aggressive compared to what I've read elsewhere. He probably looks at it from the perspective of a reliable duty 1911 as opposed to a range gun. Of particular note to me was his 5,000 round interval for replacement of the extractor accompanied by the first evidence of erratic ejection.

My question concerns sourcing parts for replacement, since this will now be an every year event. I own a Dan Wesson V-Bob. Can I expect to simply order a Wilson "Bullet Proof" extractor and detent plunger when the time comes or do I need Dan Wesson sourced parts?
    Real guns have hammers.

I wouldn't replace your extractor at 5,000rds unless it is damaged or you are starting to get erratic ejection. I have 2 Colts each with over 50,000rds thru them and both are still on their original extractors.

A Wilson Bullet Proof extractor should work fine in your Dan Wesson.
    Last edited by Amp; 05-22-2019 at 11:59 AM.

somehow, Mr. Browning fired 6000 rounds and didn't replace anything.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    Revolver Bob, seriously thanks for posting your reference section. It will be a good source for me to come up to speed.
    On a lighter note, someone told me that, "All 1911s work until you start trying to 'improve' them."
    That statement has more worth ,than a lot of "self taught machinists", would like to believe.
    I have gotten more offers to buy my 1911's & Colt Gold Cups , because they ran the competitive courses in centerfire shoots ...without hiccups .
    The only real time failure in Competitions & Drills were induced by poor ammo choice. (Mainly my Reloads)
    Custer wore the 1st "Arrow shirt".
    Given the size & power of “Ivan”, we must now … and ever be Vigilant.

Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    I wouldn't replace your extractor at 5,000rds unless it is damaged or you are starting to get erratic ejection. I have 2 Colts each with over 50,000rds thru them and both are still on their original extractors.
    Yes, I have a colt with 25k+ through it, and it's still on the same extractor. I see no reason to change something that's not broken, nor showing any signs it will fail.

Keep in mind that Hilton's reference point was for a line duty gun, and presumed that there were the resources (parts, time and installation skill-set) on hand within the department. He had presumptively seen sufficient numbers of extractors cause problems at some number above 5K, and established the 5K replacement interval point as the number at which a user could safely enjoy unimpeded success, while at some number north of 5K it could become problematic. Based on his experience and expertise, the 5K number became a good bright line forecasted replacement interval for institutional 1911 use.

I've found his 1911 maintenance milestones to be exceptionally well established and discussed.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 05-22-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Yes, I have a colt with 25k+ through it, and it's still on the same extractor. I see no reason to change something that's not broken, nor showing any signs it will fail.
    My Colt is also going strong but has fewer rounds than yours. Yet I treat it like a lawn mower, something I've read is not recommended for a 1911. But mine isn't a duty gun and when or if it fails it will be at the range during a match or training. Seriously, my Colt is the gun I fuss the least over. I keep my revolvers clean and well oiled [I do oil the 1911], I wipe down and inspect my Beretta M9 after use as I do my AR 15. But the Colt? My last recorded cleaning was Dec. 2017. Oil, good mags and good ammo for me.

Site Supporter
    I have a lot of respect for Hilton and the fact that he brought to the forefront some very important issues regarding 1911s for duty use (namely that there are better options that work just as well) but I feel like some of his advice is a bit overkill.

If your extractor is losing tension at 5,000 rounds or breaking a hook, then some aspect of your gun is effed up. Probably magazine issues.

To some degree, you need to be your own armorer if you wanna rock a 1911 for carry. That also means you ought to be your own expert opinion on your gun.

For a group of 35 dudes issued 1911s, Hilton's recommendations make perfect sense. Maybe it doesn't for you the individual.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Thank you WilsonRep. Much appreciated.

User Tag List