Page 220 of 256 FirstFirst ... 120170210218219220221222230 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,200 of 2560

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by TWR View Post
    I'm pretty sure I have a pair of those somewhere.
    Anyone interested, they were OD, can have them.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I stippled the snot out of some Magpul grips once. Got very good traction considering the investment.

Sent from my SM-A536U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    These aren't as thick and quite frankly, I thought they were cheesy as hell when they were what Bob Marvel supplied as grips on the pistols we built in his class. Once I started shooting with them I liked them - pistol does not move in your hand.

https://kensight.com/kensight-sharks...11-grip-black/

They support the plunger tube as they should, but I had to do some fitting on both grips to clear my EGW Ambi Safety.
    Yep, the traction on the sharkskin grips is great but as you noted they’re thin. Too thin for me. Fortunately I have an extra set of burner grips for the future.

Thought I would ask here in “The Big Book of the 1911” thread:

Can anyone tell me the sizes of the scoring rings for the test target that Colt’s used for verifying accuracy at the factory, originally?

It seems to be called a ‘T-10’ or ‘T-10A’. It available for purchase, apparently:

https://www.customshopinc.com/produc...0-test-target/

In use it looks like this:

Name:  IMG_0348.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  31.6 KB

Basically I’m trying to create one using my drawing tool, but I can’t find the size of the scoring rings.

Thanks in advance,

Is there a good/easy/diy solution for oversized grip screw bushing holes? Or is it a weld up, re-drill, re-tap situation?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Is there a good/easy/diy solution for oversized grip screw bushing holes? Or is it a weld up, re-drill, re-tap situation?
    I’m a goober, so I’d be trying JB Weld first.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Brownells sells oversize taps (both Brownells brand and Challis brand) to retap the holes and use a larger grip bushing...that's about the only solution short of welding.

Here

You might be able to do it yourself, but it's one of those "if you mess it up it's either a really expensive repair or a new frame" things...so YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m a goober, so I’d be trying JB Weld first.
    I’m not above that. Loctite 262 FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    Brownells sells oversize taps (both Brownells brand and Challis brand) to retap the holes and use a larger grip bushing...that's about the only solution short of welding.

Here

You might be able to do it yourself, but it's one of those "if you mess it up it's either a really expensive repair or a new frame" things...so YMMV.
    Thanks! I suppose it would help to know how much oversized the holes are before deciding I want to attempt this project…

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I’m not above that. Loctite 262 FTW!

Thanks! I suppose it would help to know how much oversized the holes are before deciding I want to attempt this project…

Wait, let's take a step back and be detailed -

Do you have messed up existing factory sized 1911 grip bushing(s) and need to enlarge them to fix them,

or

Do you have messed up oversized bushing screws/holes already?

If it's the former, the link I pasted should do the job; it'll let you drill and tap the holes in a slightly oversize thread/hole, and the oversize grip bushings will fit and make the problem invisible provided no one comes after you and screws them up again.

If it's the latter, you're in "find a welder/gunsmith or replace the frame" territory. If they're already oversized and then got messed up, there is no oversize-oversize as far as I know, though I'm sure a custom 'smith could make something. It'd probably be far easier to weld it up, hope the frame doesn't warp, and re-drill/tap the new holes...and this will only really work on forged frames btw - not cast ones. Mostly a non-issue these days save some Springfield and Caspian frames, or older Essex...or anything sold by Sarco

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    Wait, let's take a step back and be detailed -

Do you have messed up existing factory sized 1911 grip bushing(s) and need to enlarge them to fix them,

or

Do you have messed up oversized bushing screws/holes already?
    Factory seconds with at least one oversized hole being sold as gunsmith specials.

User Tag List