Page 128 of 256 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138178228 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 2560

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    Congrats great to hear you’re back in the game!
    Thanks buddy! Your new Milks is outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Everyone I talk to says that Dan Wesson is the shizzle.

Chambers even did a review of one and noted that he would probably buy one if he didn't already have a ton of 1911s.

He described it as being about on par or maybe even a little better than many of the guns he's reviewed that were built by semi custom makers that were far more expensive (granted he doesn't review every gun to leave the doors or every company, so...grain of salt)

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    I just picked this one up. I wont have chance to shoot it for a while, but it's a very nice pistol, for a factory built gun.

I too have been really impressed with my 2 DW. A Vigil and a Vigil CCO. I'll probably sell off the full size and grab another CCO or maybe I'll spring for a Staccato C.

That being said, I threw a Holosun 507K on my CCO, ran a 100 rounds through it to see if it was relatively zeroed in and took it to a Green Ops class back in November. I haven't done more than that 100 rounds in shooting in almost a year. House fire, pregnancy, covid business, and twins being born last year, so....

That being said, I took home 1 of 2 patches offered during their RDS coursework. Sure that says something about me not being awful at shooting, but I had no failures on anything other than a quirky moment when we first started class where my RDS just didn't go on. I simply power on/off fixed it, but then no other issues.

I ran an enigma/aiwb with one mag all up front with no belt in a pair of jeans and a heavy pull over as it was ~40. I'll put together an AAR, but this is a good intro/teaser.

#1911 #kiltindastrtz
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    I too have been really impressed with my 2 DW. A Vigil and a Vigil CCO. I'll probably sell off the full size and grab another CCO or maybe I'll spring for a Staccato C.

That being said, I threw a Holosun 507K on my CCO, ran a 100 rounds through it to see if it was relatively zeroed in and took it to a Green Ops class back in November. I haven't done more than that 100 rounds in shooting in almost a year. House fire, pregnancy, covid business, and twins being born last year, so....

That being said, I took home 1 of 2 patches offered during their RDS coursework. Sure that says something about me not being awful at shooting, but I had no failures on anything other than a quirky moment when we first started class where my RDS just didn't go on. I simply power on/off fixed it, but then no other issues.

I ran an enigma/aiwb with one mag all up front with no belt in a pair of jeans and a heavy pull over as it was ~40. I'll put together an AAR, but this is a good intro/teaser.

#1911 #kiltindastrtz
    I like a full size gun for occasional carry. A light weight.like the Civil.seems.ideal, and I don't know why more companies don't make them. That said, I'm carrying a CCO I built a few years back with an aluminum JEM.frame as a base. Love that size gun.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

@Dr Nimslow

I was looking at your DW picture and it appears you may have the same issue I have on my DW A2. My A2 has been 100% and I really enjoy shooting it. Don't shoot it near enough.

The issue is the thumb safety. On my A2, the back edge of the safety extends just enough past the frame to irritate my hand. The irritation is is at the web between my thumb and forefinger. All the safety needs is to be contoured a bit. By contrast, my Springfield Loaded 1911 fits my hand like a pair of old shoes. No safety irritation at all.

Hope the thumb safety works well for you and that my eyes are deceiving me. Enjoy that new DW, looks great!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    I was looking at your DW picture and it appears you may have the same issue I have on my DW A2. My A2 has been 100% and I really enjoy shooting it. Don't shoot it near enough.

The issue is the thumb safety. On my A2, the back edge of the safety extends just enough past the frame to irritate my hand. The irritation is is at the web between my thumb and forefinger. All the safety needs is to be contoured a bit. By contrast, my Springfield Loaded 1911 fits my hand like a pair of old shoes. No safety irritation at all.

Hope the thumb safety works well for you and that my eyes are deceiving me. Enjoy that new DW, looks great!!
    I was told that's the price one has to pay for a high 1911 grip. I am in agreement, don't just drop the part in... blend it.

I cannot shoot a 1911 with a cornered edge thumb safety or this happens. That was from a Staccato. My ACW did the same thing.

ACW took the time to smooth/round the edges. That still caused me pain, so I went beyond that, and it now works for me.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Being southpaw, I've never experienced your lament.
    Finding a comfortable ambi, that is not too wide or too long, or even too high was interesting. Went thru this with the first RO I purchased.

The second one, my EDC, is the RO elite, and came with ambi's, which fit my grip very well.
    Name:  20211226_144746.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  29.5 KB
    Even the 'correct side' fits well.

Name:  20211231_131723.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  29.0 KB
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post

You made me go and look. The edge of the left safety lever is right up at the edge of the frame when it's off. I can feel it just a little in the thumb joint. I'll have to see what happens when I get to shoot it.

I do know that I'll be needing a shorter trigger. As my oldest would say, I've got "girl hands". The Harrison engineering looks interesting.

My first centerfire handgun, way back in 1985 was a Colt series 70 Gold Cup, and I've owned several throughs the 80's and 90's, but it's been over 20 years since one has graced my safe. And this is my first with any "features" like a high beavertail grip safety.

I was always an arched mainspring housing kind of guy, but I like the mag well, and I cant seem to find one checkered with the arched housing, so I guess I'll stick with the flat one for now.

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I was told that's the price one has to pay for a high 1911 grip. I am in agreement, don't just drop the part in... blend it.

I cannot shoot a 1911 with a cornered edge thumb safety or this happens. That was from a Staccato. My ACW did the same thing.

ACW took the time to smooth/round the edges. That still caused me pain, so I went beyond that, and it now works for me.

Could you tell us what you did there as it looks like a paint job on the finishing touch or am I misperceiving.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

its just cold blue coated with heavy oil.

I only did the tapered edge. the rest was factory blue finish

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

User Tag List