Page 122 of 256 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172222 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 2560

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

While dissembling to instal a new trigger in my KC9, one of the grip screw bushings actually came out (looks like they aren't staked and this one didn't get enough LocTite), so funny this came up as I'm about to (involuntarily) go down the "screwing around with screw bushings" road. Despite best efforts to avoid it, I ended up marring the threads of the old bushing getting the screw out of it, so reassembly will have to wait until a Brownell's order gets here. I used tape to make do for a quick live fire test of the trigger instal today.

Trigger installation in the KC9 and my backup Kimber went well though. I went with flat 10-8s instead of the Harrison's recommended upthread because I decided to just replace both - even the 9mm was chafing my finger due to the hole for the overtravel screw. The KC9's trigger did require fitting in pretty much every way possible (frame fit, overtravel, grip safety interaction, pinching mags), but it was a good experience. So far I'm liking the triggers a lot - I put 200 rounds of .45 through the Kimber today and it solved my hot spot problems.

As a note, I do know, and do try, to not over-tighten grip screws. I either did it anyway on this one or the bushing was just that insecure.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    After getting sick tired of replacing plunger tubes on co-workers' Kimbers about a decade ago there is no way I would even consider running a grip that doesn't support that vital little piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    While dissembling to instal a new trigger in my KC9, one of the grip screw bushings actually came out (looks like they aren't staked and this one didn't get enough LocTite), so funny this came up as I'm about to (involuntarily) go down the "screwing around with screw bushings" road. Despite best efforts to avoid it, I ended up marring the threads of the old bushing getting the screw out of it, so reassembly will have to wait until a Brownell's order gets here. I used tape to make do for a quick live fire test of the trigger instal today.

Trigger installation in the KC9 and my backup Kimber went well though. I went with flat 10-8s instead of the Harrison's recommended upthread because I decided to just replace both - even the 9mm was chafing my finger due to the hole for the overtravel screw. The KC9's trigger did require fitting in pretty much every way possible (frame fit, overtravel, grip safety interaction, pinching mags), but it was a good experience. So far I'm liking the triggers a lot - I put 200 rounds of .45 through the Kimber today and it solved my hot spot problems.

As a note, I do know, and do try, to not over-tighten grip screws. I either did it anyway on this one or the bushing was just that insecure.
    When Caspian designed their wide body frame, they did away with the grip screw bushing, and made the plunger tube integral to the frame. The EDC X9 takes it a step further and does away with grip screws entirely.

I don’t recall who, but I think someone offered an integral plunger tube in a traditional single stack 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    When Caspian designed their wide body frame, they did away with the grip screw bushing, and made the plunger tube integral to the frame. The EDC X9 takes it a step further and does away with grip screws entirely.

I don’t recall who, but I think someone offered an integral plunger tube in a traditional single stack 1911.
    Ruger

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Ruger is one, I believe.

Though I used to crack wise about them, I no longer consider grip bushings and separate plunger tubes bad things in and of themselves. There are no free lunches in the firearms world, and reducing a parts count is not necessarily the no-brainer it might seem to be.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

After getting sick tired of replacing plunger tubes on co-workers' Kimbers about a decade ago there is no way I would even consider running a grip that doesn't support that vital little piece.
    NedChristiansen's ESPT (Extra Stout Plunger Tube) looks like decent upgrade.

http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php
    (Click on "1911 upgrades" and scroll down a bit)
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post

Totally.

I can't remember if it was available when we were dealing with these shenanigans.

We replaced them with EGW and properly staked them and didn't have an issue after that.

Still, I want something supporting that little tube more than little staked flanges.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post

Interesting concept. That part probably should not be installed by a kitchen table gunsmith.

Other peoples Kimbers are where I got my plunger tube replacement skillz
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

I havent paid much attention to the EDC X9, other than handling it, and the missing grip screws struck me as being S&W 3rd Gen like.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    They’re better but they’re still marginal. They sell the flatwire kits for the ETMs now. The 47+p spring and follower is the same as the 47 10 round and they work very well in the ETMs too but makes them a 7 rounder.
    Thanks
    I had put flatwire springs in the ETMs as well.

Is the only difference between the 47+p and the ETMs the spring? And is the only difference between the +p and the Vickers the solid tube?

User Tag List