Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Dream Handgun?

The easiest pistol I have to shoot naturally is my HK VP40, that I've taken the time to tune the backstrap and side panels to me, benefiting from a qualified instructor's observations and critique, and my own quantifiable experience over time.

After that, probably a my Ruger P89, which is a very fortunate confluence of ergonomic match to me and a factory product improvement program resulting in an exceptionally inherently accurate gun, possibly unique to that specific gun.

I do shoot my Beretta 92D and Glocks well; these days I'm concentrating more on the Beretta, using it for carry, duty and IDPA; it will be the gun that I will use in the Washington State IDPA Tier IV Championship match in August.

For duty/threat management, my two best platforms are the Beretta 92D and HK P30L in V1.5 LEM, for all the reasons that Dagga Boy has laid out, and we've discussed her on p-f.

I enjoy my 1911s, appreciate the many facets of them, both historic and operational, but frankly just don't shoot them as well as I do other platforms. Exclusive and intensive platform dedication might narrow or eliminate that gap, but given my shooting needs and responsibilities, that's just not gonna happen.

What's my perfect gun? Tough question; I'm actually very satisfied with what I've got, set up the way that they are. There's probably something to be said for a P30L V1.5 LEM in 9mm, or a LTT Beretta 92. But there's probably more to be gained from appreciating what I've already got, incrementally improving as necessary based on my needs and quantifiable results.

But there's always that Chapus Manhurin MR73 to be had....

Best, Jon

Dream handgun?

I’m imagining a Frankenstein’s creation of a M&P 2.0 taking Glock mags, with a SCD, a HK USP mag release, and a bullseye Beretta 92 level of accuracy.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

1) My HK P7M8 back which I foolishly gave up as partial trade on a BMW GS/PD motorcycle years ago
    2) S&W M19, blued, 2.5" barrel, pinned and recessed
    3) Heirloom Precision Browning P35
    4) Well worn/loved, original Sig P210 service model
    5) Nighthawk Custom Recon GRP steel framed 9mm Commander (to compliment my NHC LW Cmdr 9mm w/std frame)
    6) S&W 4" M27 or M28
    7) Wilson Combat X9L w/railed frame
    8) Freedom Arms 97, 357mag
    9) Ruger Bisley 22LR
    10) A 10mm something...

And, before this thread, I thought I was done buying handguns - my wife hates you!

I'm pretty much on it, with this thing:

Name:  IMG_3783.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  47.1 KBName:  705AFADC-4F34-4D17-B13C-0764DE6EB856.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  35.0 KB

Which is a STI VIP frame with stock STI internals and an Ed Vandenberg built Caspian upper with Briley barrel and bushing in 9mm (I also have the stock VIP upper around here). This piece was acquired from a fellow PFer and it is pretty much my dream gun. It prints 1.5" groups at 25-yards standing freestyle in my hands with 147-grain HST or 150-grain Syntech, and I think it could probably do an inch or less at 25 fired from rest (I've never bothered). It's almost telepathically accurate and easier to shoot than anything this side of a red-dot equipped rimfire pistol. Love this gun.

I find the STI grip-frame is basically perfect for my farmer's hands (i.e., XL-sized palms, with M-length fingers).

But since it's a case of wantsies, a STI DVC-P with a Trijicon SRO on top, would be pretty close to "video game perfect" to me, especially with a few Big-Sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I'm pretty much on it, with this thing:

Name:  IMG_3783.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  47.1 KBName:  705AFADC-4F34-4D17-B13C-0764DE6EB856.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  35.0 KB

Which is a STI VIP frame with stock STI internals and an Ed Vandenberg built Caspian upper with Briley barrel and bushing in 9mm (I also have the stock VIP upper around here). This piece was acquired from a fellow PFer and it is pretty much my dream gun. It prints 1.5" groups at 25-yards standing freestyle in my hands with 147-grain HST or 150-grain Syntech, and I think it could probably do an inch or less at 25 fired from rest (I've never bothered). It's almost telepathically accurate and easier to shoot than anything this side of a red-dot equipped rimfire pistol. Love this gun.

I find the STI grip-frame is basically perfect for my farmer's hands (i.e., XL-sized palms, with M-length fingers).

But since it's a case of wantsies, a STI DVC-P with a Trijicon SRO on top, would be pretty close to "video game perfect" to me, especially with a few Big-Sticks.
    The new Staccato P looks really good to me. Very similar to what you have there.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    The new Staccato P looks really good to me. Very similar to what you have there.
    The Staccato-P does look good, but it's a full-size grip as opposed to the VIP grip length which is about a 1/4" shorter.

I haven't really gotten a chance to handle any of the newest STIs, but ostensibly, with the re-branding and simplifying of the product line, they have gotten better in quality and quality control (which is good, because the prices have gone up). Small parts, build quality, etc. all seem to have gone up. Which again, great news, because I've always wanted STIs to be better than they were. And with the Gen 2 magazines, without spacers and much better followers, the guns have become a hell of a lot more reliable.

The Staccato-P does look good, but it's a full-size grip as opposed to the VIP grip length which is about a 1/4" shorter.

I haven't really gotten a chance to handle any of the newest STIs, but ostensibly, with the re-branding and simplifying of the product line, they have gotten better in quality and quality control (which is good, because the prices have gone up). Small parts, build quality, etc. all seem to have gone up. Which again, great news, because I've always wanted STIs to be better than they were. And with the Gen 2 magazines, without spacers and much better followers, the guns have become a hell of a lot more reliable.

I think they also brought Dave Dawson back to improve QC, but I could be wrong on that.

I do like STI's Gen 2 magazines, but I much prefer the current crop of metal grips available elsewhere for the double-stack-1911 for both shape and weight reasons. YMMV.
    Last edited by jbrimlow; 05-18-2019 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrimlow View Post
    I think they also brought Dave Dawson back to improve QC, but I could be wrong on that.
    Dave Dawson is back.

They also hired Master Gunsmith Eddie Garcia to sit on their QC and Gunsmith review and training board.

Tony Pignato is their marketing director.

And STI doubled down on building a proper factory backed shooting team and got Taran Butler and Todd Jarrett in on it.

Between that and their fancy product placements (John Wick 3, the Magnum P.I. reboot) we’ll see if this all pays off. I hope so.

Dave Dawson is back.

They also hired Master Gunsmith Eddie Garcia to sit on their QC and Gunsmith review and training board.

Tony Pignato is their marketing director.

And STI doubled down on building a proper factory backed shooting team and got Taran Butler and Todd Jarrett in on it.

Between that and their fancy product placements (John Wick 3, the Magnum P.I. reboot) we’ll see if this all pays off. I hope so.
    I think all of that is great. However, possibly because I'm an old guy, I think their "styling" department needs some tweaking.

They used to have a handful of guns that would fit in a typical 1911/2011 holster. Now, I think they've dropped all their single stack pistols and have so many non-standard barrel lengths, rail/dust cover, and slide/barrel designs, you probably need a holster specifically designed for your particular STI, unless of course you only use USPSA Open holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I think all of that is great. However, possibly because I'm an old guy, I think their "styling" department needs some tweaking.

They used to have a handful of guns that would fit in a typical 1911/2011 holster. Now, I think they've dropped all their single stack pistols and have so many non-standard barrel lengths, rail/dust cover, and slide/barrel designs, you probably need a holster specifically designed for your particular STI, unless of course you only use USPSA Open holsters.
    The Staccato-C is a single stack gun (only one they make currently) it and the DVC-C are both Commander'ish length guns (3.9" barrels). They'll fit in many Railed Commander holsters. The DVC-P and Staccato-P will fit in many full size, full rail, 1911 holsters. At this point if someone has a mold for a full-rail, square-guard, 1911 you can probably fit any of the STIs you'd want to carry in it. The rest of the lineup isn't meant for concealed carry (they're all Limited, 3-Gun, or Open guns).

The biggest problem is STI still uses a square trigger guard and as a result, that limits holster options more than barrel or rail length. And that is my biggest complaint with finding an STI holster, if they'd move into the 20th fucking century already and get a rounded trigger guard, the 2011s would fit virtually every 1911 holster out there. On a slightly more serious note, there is no reason to reinvent the wheel entirely. A rounded trigger guard was on 1911s for seven decades before SVI/STI frames came on the scene. I've never understood why they decided to thumb their noses entirely at tradition and screw everyone out of an opportunity to use perfectly serviceable 1911 holsters for their guns.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 05-19-2019 at 10:23 AM.

User Tag List