Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Dream Handgun?

For real, the 1911 evolution listed in Larry Correia’s “Hard Magic” would be amazing. Or, a 1903 upsized to 9mm. Decently sized thumb safety. Better sights. 18rd mags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Or, a 1903 upsized to 9mm. Decently sized thumb safety. Better sights. 18rd mags

You just described the Hudson. Which IMHO was a failure of execution not concept.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I was looking for a response on another forum and came across the above question. The following are my answers from about 4-5 years ago. They have not changed:

1. A 999.99 (949.99 w/o the light rail) 1911 that had a decent 5lb trigger, nite sights, lower ejection port, commander style hammer w/ beavertail, beaveled magwell, dehorned, 4 inch @ 25 yrd accurate with 230g offerings from Winchester, Remington or Speer, came with 3 Chip McCormick 8 round powers mags and would feed Winchester 230g SXT all while running like a Gen 2 Glock 17, fresh from the box after a quick wipedown and lubing up the rails.

Thoughts and choices solicited please.
    If you get lucky and get “a good one” the SA MC Operator and LB Operators can come pretty close to this.

I lucked out with a good MC Operator bought back in 2007 and JHC has a LB Operator that seems equally blessed right out of the box,

Unfortunately my experience has been S.A. 1911s are just not consistent. They are like the proverbial “box of chocolates.”

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You just described the Hudson. Which IMHO was a failure of execution not concept.
    The concept is 110 years old. The execution was done by folks who shouldn’t engineer LEGO castles.

I got lucky with this one

Day one of a Haley Class. Burnt hand (no gloves), temp in triple digits and around 70+ rounds of CCI ball fired in succession.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    30 is the quitters number. 50 at least

.50?

Bitch please.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I was looking for a response on another forum and came across the above question. The following are my answers from about 4-5 years ago. They have not changed:

Thoughts and choices solicited please.
    If I recall correctly, you left the 1911 for a G35 around 15 years ago. The pistol landscape has changed a bit in those ensuing years, with new options available would you make the same choice today.

Would you still choose .40 S&W, if so, would you prefer a different .40 S&W gun?

Would you still choose the long slide Glock or would you choose the G17/G22, or smaller size?

In your OP, it looks like you still have a soft spot for .45 Auto (or perhaps a soft spot for the 1911), understanding the Chuck Rodgers 1911 may be cost prohibitive, is there a poly .45 Auto you would choose?

Site Supporter
    JTQ-In a word-no. The rest of my response rambles so be warned...

I went to a G35 .40 cal from a 1911 in .45 because the agencies I was training with were all switching to .40 and the longslide Glock "felt" most like 1911 relative to other polymer pistols. My primary partner agencies are still shooting a lot of .40. Ergo , I still carry the G35 quite a bit.

If I had to feed and water my own gun and I was buying today (and could access enough std capacity magazines), I would be looking long and hard at some Gen 5 9mm Glock. I suspect it would be full sized in grip, I would have to shoot the latest offerings to decide on a slide length.

If I was restricted to 10 rounds, I suspect that I would initially opt for a M&P 45 with a frame mounted safety, add some Apex goodness and drive on.

Having said that, I intend to shoot a qual with a 1911 on Fri for the first time in years. Something tells me that despite being away from the platform for years, and having last shot this gun a couple of years ago, I will post a score very close to what I would shoot with a Glock. While I do not shoot as often or as capably as I used to, my well of experience is fairly deep and a set up 1911 is pretty easy to shoot for score.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 05-15-2019 at 04:16 PM.

Skill overcomes equipment.

Site Supporter
    So I checked my calendar. The last time I live fired a pistol was January 26 2019. The time before that was right before Thanksgiving 2018. I shot a G35 loaded with 180 Speer Lawman. I did my cold drill of 5 shots at 5yrds. on an 8 inch plate with a big step offline at the buzzer (1x going left/2x going right) 2.7ish all in. I shot the 50 round agency qual scoring a 94. I pushed 2 left at 15 losing a point each and put 2 in the neck which is no longer a scoring area dropping 4 at 7 yrds shooting way too fast.

Today, I shot the Kimber Series 1 1911 with my reloads ( 5.6 of 231/230g RNL bullet) and 230g WWB. It has been approximately 2 years since I have fired that pistol. Other that a Wilson slip on magwell, std guide rod and some stair tape on the front strap, it is stock. I did the same cold warm up. 2.71, 2.66 and 2.51. I then shot a 98 on the qual pushing two just left at 15.

Take-a ways.

1. I need to practice at 15 and out.

2. RNL bullets are smokey as crap indoors.

3. I remain convinced that a 1911 is an easier gun to shoot well than a Glock.

4. I suspect a 9mm 5 inch, all steel 1911 would be simply grand and even easier to shoot than the 45.

5. Without a lot more work, the days of me routinely shooting 100 are over unless and until I put in the work at 15 plus.

FWIW
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 05-17-2019 at 10:31 AM.

User Tag List