Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My Dream Handgun?

I want an HK P30L that accepts Glock sights (or similar, so there are actual options), has a proper 17-18 round mag for a gun of that size, and has a trigger that feels like a Langdonized 92. Bonus points if there's a modular MOS-ish optics cut. Must keep mag release levers.
    Also a true G19-length version (P2000) that holds a proper 15 rounds.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I want an HK P30L that accepts Glock sights (or similar, so there are actual options), has a proper 17-18 round mag for a gun of that size, and has a trigger that feels like a Langdonized 92. Bonus points if there's a modular MOS-ish optics cut. Must keep mag release levers.
    Also a true G19-length version (P2000) that holds a proper 15 rounds.
    I'd settle for a USP and P2000 that accepted VP9/P30 sights.

If I had my druthers, I'd probably have more "dream features" than actual dream guns.

Like, for instance:

Two sight dovetails in existence, a front and a rear. And then every single set of sights on the planet would fit in those dovetails. /end sight choices and problems. No tenons, no stakes, no bolts, nada. Two fucking dovetails identical in dimensions across every single slide and gun on the planet, ever made. How awesome would that be? And also every MRDS would mount to a Trijicon RMR footprint. No other footprints. /end footprint problems.

And every damn rifle on the planet would use a 1913-spec optics mount (we're getting much closer to that, Weaver and proprietary systems are almost dead). And the shotgun dudes could do whatever, but I'd prefer all defensive shotguns be machined for pistol sight dovetails.

Alas, the genie is way out of the bottle on that one.

We got close with the Picatinny 1913-spec accessory rail that has become universal.

I only wish we had more universality.

___

Speaking of universality and stupid proprietary decisions. I wish HK would release an updated USP with a proper 1913 rail.

And that Glock would build a 1911 (Nah, I'm kidding, though I am tempted to build a double-stack 9mm gun with one of those Caspian slides that uses Glock sights).

A Ted Yost built on a pre Series 70 Colt 5” 45 acp.

That was easy.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I'm pretty much on it, with this thing:

Attachment 38271Attachment 38272

Which is a STI VIP frame with stock STI internals and an Ed Vandenberg built Caspian upper with Briley barrel and bushing in 9mm (I also have the stock VIP upper around here). This piece was acquired from a fellow PFer and it is pretty much my dream gun. It prints 1.5" groups at 25-yards standing freestyle in my hands with 147-grain HST or 150-grain Syntech, and I think it could probably do an inch or less at 25 fired from rest (I've never bothered). It's almost telepathically accurate and easier to shoot than anything this side of a red-dot equipped rimfire pistol. Love this gun.

I find the STI grip-frame is basically perfect for my farmer's hands (i.e., XL-sized palms, with M-length fingers).

But since it's a case of wantsies, a STI DVC-P with a Trijicon SRO on top, would be pretty close to "video game perfect" to me, especially with a few Big-Sticks.
    Man, @RevolverRob that’s a nice-looking pistol. Is it steel or aluminum framed? I would be interested in your comments regarding its recoil characteristics and what the magazines are like to deal with. I’ve always admired the VIP 9mm concept.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I recently found my "dream" handgun. Something I always told myself I would get if I could afford it and found it. A SIG P-210, this one is one of the American made new issue models called the Standard. Fixed sights, normal non-target grips. It has the mag release where it should be, well done beavertail and 1911 style thumb safety. Awesome trigger right out of the box and without benching it appears very accurate. Downside is the 8 round magazine but I knew that going in, good thing is they are made by Mecgar and are reasonably priced.
    Right now I'm tweaking my reloads for the pistol to maximum accuracy which should be it's forte. The grips are beautifully done wood but a little to slippery for me so I'm going to ugly them up with some stick on rubber panels. The slide really does slide like two pieces of glass, SIG did well with this one. So far 100% reliable with 3 different loads; 124gr FMJ, 115 JHP HAP, 124 JHP.
    Right now I'm reducing the OAL to keep the top round in the mag from sliding forward far enough to hang up the mag when dropping a partially loaded mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    Man, @RevolverRob that’s a nice-looking pistol. Is it steel or aluminum framed? I would be interested in your comments regarding its recoil characteristics and what the magazines are like to deal with. I’ve always admired the VIP 9mm concept.
    It's aluminum framed, with the polymer grip frame.

The gun shoots extremely well, partly, because loaded it's still a ~35 ounce gun, and partly because it has a flat bottom firing pin stop. It basically feels like a full-sized 9mm handgun, somewhere between a Beretta 92 and a Glock 17 in recoil impulse, when shooting 147-grain American Eagle (~1000 fps) and HST. It's very easy to shoot fast, but not quite as fast as say an all steel gun.

With 150-grain Syntech, which is downloaded to about 850 fps, it's very easy to shoot fast. I use it for local USPSA Club Matches and while I can definitely feel a difference when shooting full power vs. competition loads, I'm not good enough at practical shooting for it to make a difference.

Magazines - the new Gen 2 mags work very well and easy to deal with. The older mags need more care, tuning of the feed lips and followers to provide reliable slide lock. The biggest thing is guys are trying to stuff as many bullets as possible into a mag and this makes them run right on the limits of possibility with mag spring tension and follower design. The older mags also require a spacer when using 9mm, they were designed around a longer OAL. The spacers, introduce another component and often a little extra friction between the mag body and follower. If you don't try to cram the magazines completely full, they tend to run better.

An HK USPc that uses the slide/universal rail of a P2000 and trigger of a Beretta 92.

Pure sex.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    A Ted Yost built on a pre Series 70 Colt 5” 45 acp.

That was easy.
    A Vickers built on a pre Series 70 Colt 5" 45 acp.

I guess we're both easy.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

User Tag List