Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: New Aftermarket Glock 19 from Shadow Systems

Quote Originally Posted by Thn9mm View Post
    When I bought the MR918 from Bass Pro, I could not evaluate the trigger because of their refusal to remove the trigger guard lock. Evaluating the pistol at home, I realized that the trigger required immediate remediation before use.
    The OEM trigger of the MR918 is an aluminum flat faced trigger with a 4-4.5 lb pull. This was not the issue. What was problematic was the tendency of the trigger to lock unless your finger pad is placed exactly flat on the safety hinge. Any other variation (finger rides high or finger curved around the trigger rather than flat), and the trigger tends to lock.
    In the photo, you can see that there is a long vertical face on the MR918 trigger before the safety hinge is reached. Compare that to the Overwatch Trigger (OT), in which the vertical face is much shorter.

Attachment 38293Attachment 38294

In classes where I have done close retention shooting (shooting during grappling or high pectoral index shooting), my index finger can ride high on the trigger face depending on my body position while drawing the pistol. I wear a small glove and the width of my index finger is 15.3 mm. If I ride high on the MR918 trigger, then I cannot activate the safety hinge and the trigger locks as it should. If I ride high on the OT, then part of my finger can still depress the safety hinge and the pistol will fire. If I curl my finger around the trigger and am not exactly flat on the safety hinge, then the MR918 will not fire. This is unacceptable.
    On one hand, this makes the pistol safer in that your finger must be placed a specific way for the trigger to activate. On the other hand, this makes the pistol useless in close quarters shooting if you are wrestling with an opponent and cannot place your finger on the trigger in a certain way. My VP9 trigger is the same way. It has a tall vertical face before the safety hinge is reached and the trigger locks in close retention shooting. I have relegated my VP9 to the safe and do not carry it.
    I would still purchase the MR918 knowing that the trigger needs to be replaced. If you have larger fingers, then perhaps you may still be able to activate the safety hinge. I don’t know. I do know that for shooters with smaller hands, the trigger will be an issue.
    In the photo: left is the OEM MR918 trigger installed on a Gen4 frame, right is the Overwatch precision replacement trigger installed in the MR918.

Quote Originally Posted by Thn9mm View Post
    In the photo: left is the OEM MR918 trigger installed on a Gen4 frame, right is the Overwatch precision replacement trigger installed in the MR918.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

That trigger guard looks awfully thin.....

People have been doing that double undercut for years. Has anyone seen a trigger guard break as a result?

How brittle is the Shadow Systems plastic? I know the HK P2000 frame is somewhat inflexible. I've seen a few broken due to spills, falls, accidents etc.

This actually is one of the things I really like about the P320. Too much work with the soldering iron? Throw the frame module in the trash and start over. With the Glock or similar guns the frame goes in the trash.

Granted, I'm told Glock will replace ruined frames for pretty darned cheap. Hopefully Shadow can do likewise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    People have been doing that double undercut for years. Has anyone seen a trigger guard break as a result?

How brittle is the Shadow Systems plastic? I know the HK P2000 frame is somewhat inflexible. I've seen a few broken due to spills, falls, accidents etc.

This actually is one of the things I really like about the P320. Too much work with the soldering iron? Throw the frame module in the trash and start over. With the Glock or similar guns the frame goes in the trash.

Granted, I'm told Glock will replace ruined frames for pretty darned cheap. Hopefully Shadow can do likewise.

The MR frame is very rigid. I don't believe it will have any issues from shooting. The trigger guard while thin is extremely solid. I wish I could do a better job of explaining how the frame felt. I would compare the polymer feel very close to what CZ is using on the P-10.

To my knowledge, I have not seen a trigger guard break on either a factory glock with an undercut, or an aftermarket frame. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but it would be an extremely rare occurrence if it did.

Glock will replace a frame for around 100-150 bucks, but you have to factor in FFL fees with that. I have no idea if Shadow would do the same, but I'm sure in a serious event they could do something.

TXPO
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnw View Post
    Don’t forget the best benefit of buying at Basspro, discount gift cards.
    Thanks for the tip on discount cards.

So is a grip force adapter still needed for those who have slide bite. Anyone tested if these are more accurate than the factory Glock 19s of any generation? Anyone confirmed that the Gadget works?

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    So is a grip force adapter still needed for those who have slide bite. Anyone tested if these are more accurate than the factory Glock 19s of any generation? Anyone confirmed that the Gadget works?
    750 rounds in first 2 weeks thru my MR918 Elite with RM07 mounted in optic cut. No need for a GFA - no slide bite. Extremely accurate and very, very flat shooting. I have 3 Gadgets on other Glocks - swapped one to the Shadow - perfect fit and function. Will be shooting it this weekend in Gabe's class.

These seem very nice. I wish they did a 17 as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

User Tag List