Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: New Aftermarket Glock 19 from Shadow Systems

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I ordered a Combat with the optics cut. A small part of me is tempted to contact the company and change the order to an Elite but I don’t think I’d get much benefit from the slide cuts. I don’t think I’d gain anything from the top serrations. Shadow Systems recently posted on their Instagram that they’re releasing an MR918L which was a 17 sized slide on the 19 sized frame. They dropped some hints about a possible 17 sized gun coming a while ago so it’s probably on the way.
    I hope they have some blems. I have a 17 upper looking for a home.

Here's a pic I stole off Instagram showing the MR918 compared to the 918L.

The L variant, if it is a 17 length slide, would be a perfect platform for a Glock 47 copy. They've got the short dust cover on the frame and the 19 recoil spring. All that's needed is a 17 length grip. Granted it would take a new mold and new backstrap inserts...

Really hoping Shadow Systems goes this route as it would allow customers to choose between a 19, 45 and 17 based on which frame they initially went with.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Here's a pic I stole off Instagram showing the MR918 compared to the 918L.

The L variant, if it is a 17 length slide, would be a perfect platform for a Glock 47 copy. They've got the short dust cover on the frame and the 19 recoil spring. All that's needed is a 17 length grip. Granted it would take a new mold and new backstrap inserts...

Really hoping Shadow Systems goes this route as it would allow customers to choose between a 19, 45 and 17 based on which frame they initially went with.

I am so with you on that. If they had a 19X/G45 version I would order two right now. I could live with the heat issue as the positives far out weight that negative with the MR platform.

TXPO
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Texaspoff View Post
    I could live with the heat issue as the positives far out weight that negative...
    Did you see my earlier post about heat? I used my 918 in a class recently. Most we shot in one rotation was about 60 rounds. The slide got pretty hot but the frame didn't seem to heat up too badly. I wonder if my TLR-7 is acting as a heat sink of sorts. It might be something to try if you have a spare weapon light handy.

I’m also hoping the upcoming frame will be as tall as a G17 but as long as a G19. That would be the most versatile option. You’d be able to purchase the upcoming full-size gun and mix and match slides and frames with a currently owned MR918. You’d be able to configure pistols equivalent to the G19, G19L, G45, and G47 in size with just those two guns. It might be worth reaching out to Shadow Systems about it. If the full-size pistols won’t be available until at least mid-2020, they’re likely still in development and testing so changes to the design are still possible. The fact that they released the MR918L makes me think this is the way the company is planning to go. Otherwise, they’d need a new slide along with a new frame because the MR918L slide isn’t compatible with G17 dimension frame rails.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

You’d be able to configure pistols equivalent to the G19, G19L, G45, and G47 in size with just those two guns.
    That makes sense to me especially since Glock apparently doesn't have plans to sell the G47 commercially. It would give Shadow Systems a gun that's somewhat similar in modularity to the ZEV OZ9 and the ZRO.

Rather than design a new frame and make a new mold I wonder if it would be practical to make a backstrap insert that lengthens the frame to 17 length. Something similar in concept to what ZRO does on the Modulus:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gu...pistol-system/
    Last edited by Tokarev; 10-30-2019 at 10:06 AM.

Confirmed via phone call with Shadow Systems. Full-size gun is on the drawing board and should be ready mid-2020. What exact configuration it will be is unknown at this time but my guess is it will be a 47-ish format.

Did you see my earlier post about heat? I used my 918 in a class recently. Most we shot in one rotation was about 60 rounds. The slide got pretty hot but the frame didn't seem to heat up too badly. I wonder if my TLR-7 is acting as a heat sink of sorts. It might be something to try if you have a spare weapon light handy.

I did some more testing an observation on where the heat was coming from. I appears more near the slide lock area, Stainless barrels tend to heat rather quickly, and my thought is it is transferring it's heat through the take down lever, and it's opening. My support hand thumb rests against the lever and the side of the frame, I have shorter thumbs. I was getting the heat from this area, not particularly the frame. I can adjust my hand a bit and keep my thumb away from the area, so to run the MR the way I want, I am going to have to adjust my grip slightly to accommodate for the heating.

You folks with normal sized hands probably haven't and wont experience the heating like I do.

Confirmed via phone call with Shadow Systems. Full-size gun is on the drawing board and should be ready mid-2020. What exact configuration it will be is unknown at this time but my guess is it will be a 47-ish format.
    Well crap, I have a line on another used but like new MR918 combat that I was seriously considering picking up. If this new model is going to be 19X' ish in nature that means I either need to wait, or get them both, which would make the wife oh so happy.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 10-31-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

I’m also hoping the upcoming frame will be as tall as a G17 but as long as a G19. That would be the most versatile option. You’d be able to purchase the upcoming full-size gun and mix and match slides and frames with a currently owned MR918. You’d be able to configure pistols equivalent to the G19, G19L, G45, and G47 in size with just those two guns. It might be worth reaching out to Shadow Systems about it. If the full-size pistols won’t be available until at least mid-2020, they’re likely still in development and testing so changes to the design are still possible. The fact that they released the MR918L makes me think this is the way the company is planning to go. Otherwise, they’d need a new slide along with a new frame because the MR918L slide isn’t compatible with G17 dimension frame rails.

That would make the most sense as well. Based on their current MR designs, and the 918L, all they would need to do is increased the length of the mold in the grip area. Everything else can remain the same, allowing the 19, and their 918L slide to run on the same frame. This would be a huge selling point for them.

TXPO
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Texaspoff View Post
    ...all they would need to do is increased the length of the mold in the grip area. Everything else can remain the same, allowing the 19, and their 918L slide to run on the same frame.
    I can't see any reason why they wouldn't other than just not realizing that it is a good idea.

User Tag List