Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Washington DC and Leosa

CWM11B
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    We tell our guys every year to avoid states like NJ, NY, Kali, etc. Every year it seems like I’m adding another state to the list to avoid...adding Hawaii, not that I’d ever go. LEOSA is indeed a “bright line” law but I tell them not to be a test case.
    I do the same thing, but advise a scale: How bad to you want to go to state X, and how much is it worth for you to risk a felony (career ender) to be armed versus going unarmed?
    It always boils down to three choices:

1. Go armed and risk arrest, prison, job loss
    2. Go unarmed ( I dont like this option, but the overwhelming majority of the US population live their lives this way) and hope lightning doesn't strike
    3. Dont go.

Option 3 is usually my response. On the rare occasions travel to a no go state is unavoidable, I select option 2

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    3. Dont go.
    When still in active service it was always and only on official duty. Since retiring, my travel is at my discretion. As such, I will not travel to communist governed venues (where natural civil rights are infringed by the compulsory power and force of government) or contribute to their economy. That includes U.S. states as mentioned, and also foreign entities such as Canada or Mexico. And yes, I deliberately conflate tyrannical statism with communism because it is still the most recent and recurring exemplar.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
    When still in active service it was always and only on official duty. Since retiring, my travel is at my discretion. As such, I will not travel to communist governed venues (where natural civil rights are infringed by the compulsory power and force of government) or contribute to their economy. That includes U.S. states as mentioned, and also foreign entities such as Canada or Mexico. And yes, I deliberately conflate tyrannical statism with communism because it is still the most recent and recurring exemplar.
    Brother, you need to change your forum handle 'cause their ain't no "gray" area with you. (And I mean that in the best possible light.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
    Unfortunately Hawaii specifically states if you are not on official duty they will not consider you an officer. And they disregard the law in regard to jhp and mag capacity. Who wants to be the test case?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I go to Hawaii a month a year for work. I carry all the time and never had an issue. I do have to go to HPD and register the firearm within 5 days. I also hop multiple islands and travel via Hawaiian airlines inter island.
    Last edited by Crusader8207; 05-14-2019 at 06:07 PM.
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Brother, you need to change your forum handle 'cause their ain't no "gray" area with you. (And I mean that in the best possible light.)
    I live in a permit-not-required state, and still carry under both LEOSA and the standard non-LEO permits. As a former career LEO I find it to be the height of arrogance when statists consult with law enforcement regarding the exercise of liberties. This is usually done when an anti-civil rights hoplophobe wants a sympathetic anti-gun opinion based upon a specious presumption that an LE administrator has any expertise in the realm of either civil rights or firearms.

During my career, I never cared one whit about anyone being armed because as an operating standard I assumed everyone was. Felons/criminals-in-progress who were carrying got taken; everyone else was granted, by the discretion afforded me, the same right to defense of life that our contract with our government stipulates.

As a potential thread drift and aside, I enthusiastically endorse training, but I refuse to support it as a precondition to exercising a right.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader8207 View Post
    I go to Hawaii a month a year for work. I carry all the time and never had an issue. I do have to go to HPD and register the firearm within 5 days. I also hop multiple islands and travel via Hawaiian airlines inter island.
    Fraternally, you are having an issue. LEOSA uses the word “notwithstanding” to underscore that it supercedes local law.
    By virtue of the fact that you “have to go to HPD and register the firearm within 5 days” says plainly that they are ignoring the preemptive authority of LEOSA.

Fraternally, you are having an issue. LEOSA uses the word “notwithstanding” to underscore that it supercedes local law.
    By virtue of the fact that you “have to go to HPD and register the firearm within 5 days” says plainly that they are ignoring the preemptive authority of LEOSA.
    Good point...
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

https://ag.hawaii.gov/cjd/law-enforcement-index-page/

https://ag.hawaii.gov/cjd/files/2013...-QLEO-926B.pdf

"II. If you are not on official duty with your governmental law
    enforcement agency and you are carrying a concealed firearm
    pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 926B, you are not considered a “law
    enforcement officer” in the State of Hawaii. The Hawaii Revised
    Statutes will be applied to you as if you were a “civilian” with no law
    enforcement powers. "

Absolute garbage and blatantly illegal.

I live in a permit-not-required state, and still carry under both LEOSA and the standard non-LEO permits. As a former career LEO I find it to be the height of arrogance when statists consult with law enforcement regarding the exercise of liberties. This is usually done when an anti-civil rights hoplophobe wants a sympathetic anti-gun opinion based upon a specious presumption that an LE administrator has any expertise in the realm of either civil rights or firearms.

During my career, I never cared one whit about anyone being armed because as an operating standard I assumed everyone was. Felons/criminals-in-progress who were carrying got taken; everyone else was granted, by the discretion afforded me, the same right to defense of life that our contract with our government stipulates.

As a potential thread drift and aside, I enthusiastically endorse training, but I refuse to support it as a precondition to exercising a right.
    I rest my case.

(And for the record, in regard to the bolded portion above, so did I. And in South FL, that was the prudent point of view. And probably while I worked in NYC as well.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    We tell our guys every year to avoid states like NJ, NY, Kali, etc. Every year it seems like I’m adding another state to the list to avoid...adding Hawaii, not that I’d ever go. LEOSA is indeed a “bright line” law but I tell them not to be a test case.
    CA is actually very friendly to LEOSA, and isn’t really in the same category as NY and NJ. A visitor might restrict themselves to 10 round magazines for the unlikely situation where they find themselves in a city with a 10 round limit, but other than that there are no issues. Also, NEVER leave a firearm unattended in a vehicle. But in the worst case, both are misdemeanors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List