Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Washington DC and Leosa

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Wait until you find out how they feel about armed citizens
    That’s one of the reasons why I’ve been getting my sand and sun elsewhere for the last few years. While I never had a problem traveling there with LEOSA, there are places I’d rather spend my money. NY, Calif and NJ aren’t on that list either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
    https://ag.hawaii.gov/cjd/law-enforcement-index-page/

https://ag.hawaii.gov/cjd/files/2013...-QLEO-926B.pdf

"II. If you are not on official duty with your governmental law
    enforcement agency and you are carrying a concealed firearm
    pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 926B, you are not considered a “law
    enforcement officer” in the State of Hawaii. The Hawaii Revised
    Statutes will be applied to you as if you were a “civilian” with no law
    enforcement powers. "

Absolute garbage and blatantly illegal.
    That's actually correct.

A LEO carrying outside their state under LEOSA is essentially carrying as a private citizen, not under law enforcement powers. LEOSA does not confer LE powers outside your state, it simply authorizes you to carry a firearm.

As a Texas cop, you're not a cop in Hawaii, or any other state, unless that state grants you LE powers.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    That's actually correct.

A LEO carrying outside their state under LEOSA is essentially carrying as a private citizen, not under law enforcement powers. LEOSA does not confer LE powers outside your state, it simply authorizes you to carry a firearm.

As a Texas cop, you're not a cop in Hawaii, or any other state, unless that state grants you LE powers.
    Ehhhhhhhhhhh............ I understand what you're trying to say, but that's not accurate.

LEOSA allows you to carry a gun BECAUSE you are LE in *any state*, regardless of what the local laws are. You are not carrying as a "private citizen", because if you were only that, the state's laws about gun carry would apply. You are carrying as a cop, even though you may not have law enforcement powers. You are still required to carry a badge and your department ID .... which means you're a cop.

Ehhhhhhhhhhh............ I understand what you're trying to say, but that's not accurate.

LEOSA allows you to carry a gun BECAUSE you are LE in *any state*, regardless of what the local laws are. You are not carrying as a "private citizen", because if you were only that, the state's laws about gun carry would apply. You are carrying as a cop, even though you may not have law enforcement powers. You are still required to carry a badge and your department ID .... which means you're a cop.
    The ID is carried to prove that you're LEOSA eligible, not as a means of enforcing law.

You're carrying as a private citizen under LEOSA. LEOSA does not allow you to use your LE powers in another state. That paragraph you quoted from Hawaii is accurate.

ETA: There is no requirement in 18 USC 926b to carry a badge and department ID, nor does carrying a badge fulfill any requirements in LEOSA to begin with. You are simply required to carry your ID stating your authority to make arrests/apprehension.

ETA2: You can literally type "LEOSA does not confer LE powers" into Google and such guidance will come up in a number of documents from LE agencies and PLI policies.
    Last edited by TGS; 05-16-2019 at 06:42 PM.

The ID is carried to prove that you're LEOSA eligible, not as a means of enforcing law.

You're carrying as a private citizen under LEOSA. LEOSA does not allow you to use your LE powers in another state. That paragraph you quoted from Hawaii is accurate.

ETA: There is no requirement in 18 USC 926b to carry a badge and department ID, nor does carrying a badge fulfill any requirements in LEOSA to begin with. You are simply required to carry your ID stating your authority to make arrests/apprehension.

ETA2: You can literally type "LEOSA does not confer LE powers" into Google and such guidance will come up in a number of documents from LE agencies and PLI policies.
    Okay I'll concede to this one.

The problem with Hawaii is that they are saying that if you're not there on official business, you're not a cop, and therefore LEOSA doesn't apply. I'm a cop no matter where I am. LEOSA says that since I'm a cop, I can carry a gun in all 50.

That's the garbage.

The problem with Hawaii is that they are saying that if you're not there on official business, you're not a cop, and therefore LEOSA doesn't apply.
    That's not what it's saying at all.

The entire point of the document is saying that you, as a Texas LEO, do have the right to carry a firearm in Hawaii under 18 USC 926b but still have to comply with local laws not otherwise superseded by LEOSA....such as registering the gun within 5 days, and being limited to 10 rounds.

That paragraph is to clarify that you, as a LEO in another state, do not have LE powers when in Hawaii unless you're on official business (as is the case with almost every state regarding out of state LEOs). As evidenced here, there's good reason for them to have put that guidance in there.

There's definitely some things in that document that are outdated and not in keeping with LEOSA, which is funny that you chose to pick on an issue boiling down to a misunderstanding of very basic law instead of the actual flagrant violations.
    Last edited by TGS; 05-16-2019 at 07:00 PM.

That's not what it's saying at all.

The entire point of the document is saying that you, as a Texas LEO, do have the right to carry a firearm in Hawaii under 18 USC 926b but still have to comply with local laws not otherwise superseded by LEOSA....such as registering the gun within 5 days, and being limited to 10 rounds.

That paragraph is to clarify that you, as a LEO in another state, do not have LE powers when in Hawaii unless you're on official business (as is the case with almost every state regarding out of state LEOs). As evidenced here, there's good reason for them to have put that guidance in there.

There's definitely some things in that document that are outdated and not in keeping with LEOSA, which is funny that you chose to pick on an issue boiling down to a misunderstanding of very basic law instead of the actual flagrant violations.
    Man, since you're being so cool about this, I'd love for you to espouse those flagrant violations here so we all know. Use small words for me.

Man, since you're being so cool about this, I'd love for you to espouse those flagrant violations here so we all know. Use small words for me.
    I'll have to pull out a caveman dictionary. Give me a minute.

I'll have to pull out a caveman dictionary. Give me a minute.
    I, for one, really appreciate you correcting me where I was wrong and not at all being a dick about it. It's super helpful and really shows that you care about other cops and making sure they have the right information.

Okay I'll concede to this one.

The problem with Hawaii is that they are saying that if you're not there on official business, you're not a cop, and therefore LEOSA doesn't apply. I'm a cop no matter where I am. LEOSA says that since I'm a cop, I can carry a gun in all 50.

That's the garbage.
    I'll echo that that's really not what is being said in that document. The very next sentence after the quoted paragraph is "If you are carrying a concealed firearm in the State of Hawaii pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 926B...". Also refer to all of section V in that document.

User Tag List