Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Decision matrix around what and how you carry in Synagogue/Church/Mosque

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Black Belt View Post
    One advantage you will have over a mass shooter is that he is shooting at a mass of people, you are only shooting at one. The odds are he will take a while to get to you. While you are waiting your turn you will probably have time to take a carefully aimed shot.
    And at my church, every one of those people he is shooting is a friend, child or family member. I am going to work to stop the threat as fast as humanly possible, even if it involves significant risk to myself.

I do not enjoy watching children die. I never have, and doubt I ever will.

I am definitely not attacking you. I am just not comfortable with the concept of biding my time while gunfire is occuring. I will execute a draw stroke as fast as I can, and fire as precise a shot as needed.

If something happens to me, I've had a good run. That's not bravado, just acceptance of decisions I have already made.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    And at my church, every one of those people he is shooting is a friend, child or family member. I am going to work to stop the threat as fast as humanly possible, even if it involves significant risk to myself.

I do not enjoy watching children die. I never have, and doubt I ever will.

I am definitely not attacking you. I am just not comfortable with the concept of biding my time while gunfire is occuring. I will execute a draw stroke as fast as I can, and fire as precise a shot as needed.

If something happens to me, I've had a good run. That's not bravado, just acceptance of decisions I have already made.
    That's the way I see it.

“Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?” Then I said, “Here I am. Send me.”
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 05-17-2019 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Black Belt View Post
    One advantage you will have over a mass shooter is that he is shooting at a mass of people, you are only shooting at one. The odds are he will take a while to get to you. While you are waiting your turn you will probably have time to take a carefully aimed shot.
    Waiting my turn?
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Waiting my turn?
    A very odd choice of words, isn't it?
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 05-20-2019 at 06:01 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Waiting my turn?
    It's an Active Self Protection buzz phrase

Banned
    I'm no longer an active member of my church's security team but when I was one of the things that they were very clear about was it if you weren't actually on security duty and something happened they would rather that you stayed out of it and let the on-duty guys handle it. With obvious caveats of course.

The church I go to is in a big building. My wife can't do the sanctuary because of sloping floor gives her knee fits. So we sit upstairs in a separate room. If something happened in the sanctuary the odds that I would even get there before it was over are small enough that I wouldn't even try. Again, with the obvious caveat that if the person sitting next to me in the upper room pulls a shotgun out from underneath his coat yes I'm going to try to stop him.

Other than that I would probably be trying to get my wife out the nearest exit

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Active Self Protection
    Had to look that up. Impressive resume, lacking one thing: winning gunfights.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 05-20-2019 at 07:13 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Had to look that up. Impressive resume, lacking one thing: winning gunfights.
    There are a lot of very respected trainers out there who've never been in a gunfight.

Jeanne Assam has won more actual gun fights (one) than I've even been in and I can tell you from direct personal experience that she's a flake. I wouldn't take training from her if she was the only trainer in the world.
    Last edited by Cypher; 05-20-2019 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Typo/ autocorrect is the devil

There are a lot of very respected trainers out there who've ever been in a gunfight.
    A trainer should have first hand experience on the subject they are teaching. Others may not agree, and that's fine. But when I spend my $, I use that as a principal decision making point.

Jeanne Assam has won more actual gun fights (one) than I've even been in and I can tell you from direct personal experience that she's a flake. I wouldn't take training from her if she was the only trainer in the world.
    Irrelevant to my point. If you're going to teach how to win gunfights, then being a gun fighter is one of my pre-reqs. It isn't the only one though.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 05-20-2019 at 07:49 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    A trainer should have first hand experience on the subject they are teaching. Others may not agree, and that's fine. But when I spend my $, I use that as a principal decision making point.

Irrelevant to my point. If you're going to teach how to win gunfights, then being a gun fighter is one of my pre-reqs. It isn't the only one though.

I don't necessarily agree. I live in a military town I know a whole bunch of people that have been in multiple gunfights in Iraq and Afghanistan but that experience doesn't help me when I run into two crackheads in the parking lot of my apartment building and they try to rob me. It doesn't help me when I'm walking into a come and go at 3 in the morning at work and some tweaker tries to take my gun off me.

User Tag List