Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Decision matrix around what and how you carry in Synagogue/Church/Mosque

I carry the same gun I carry everywhere else (CZ P-01) in a very non-bulky IWB holster that keeps the butt of the gun low to the belt to minimize the chances of printing. What I wear depends on the season and can range from untucked dressy shirts, to a fleece vest, to a sport coat.

It's as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Oukaapie View Post
    I’ve got 4 key questions I’m curious about but please feel free to add as you see fit.

1. What factors drive you towards what/how you carry when attending (not working security) your house of worship?
    2. What are you carrying?
    3. How are you carrying?
    4. How are you prioritizing the ratio of shootability:concealability:comfort

I'm part of a 35-40 security team. But I'll answer as if I were just there as a regular Joe.

1. I always carry.
    2. Usually a Glock 17
    3. IWB at 4 o'clock concealed under sport coat/suit jacket
    4. I carry my duty weapon mostly and dress around it. Comfort comes last.

Regards.

Church Security

1. What factors drive you towards what/how you carry when attending (not working security) your house of worship?
    2. What are you carrying?
    3. How are you carrying?
    4. How are you prioritizing the ratio of shootability:concealability:comfort

Glock 43X
    It is in my Bible Bag with Bible
    It is accurate and low profile

I'd like to mention a few things: this is a shooting forum so we focus on shooting, but preventing the shooting might be the best bet (and I am not being critical of OP or anyone else, lots of good information)

We have a small church. We keep all the doors locked except at Sunday School start time. We have someone in the lobby who opens the door(s) for people. Our windows and doors in the lobby, as well as the other entrance glass doors, and there are a lot of them, have 3M film which prevents shattering. It is supposed to be bullet resistant for at least a bit. it is shatter resistant and requires a concerted effort to defeat.

During church there is someone in the lobby the whole time who can keep an eye on the parking lot. We have cameras covering the lot as well. We will not go into the lot to confront people. We will call the police.

If something happens, the congregation will be herded to the back. We have back and side doors if we need to escape, but it is emphasized to look and be sure those avenues are clear before charging out the back. Logistically escaping is difficult, kids in other rooms, nursery, etc. So all doors have door stops to prevent opening. Sanctuary has wood "bars" to go on handles to prevent someone coming in. If someone tries to get in, the doors and film are a first line of protection. The lobby person has an airhorn, or can grab one us from the sanctuary and we can assist. There really is one safe shooting direction, out the front, so I have emphasized that guns needs to be used judiciously. And no shooting through the film from the inside unless someone is about to breach the door/window.

Summary: a little money to harden the windows and doors, security cameras, keep doors locked and open door for people (looks polite too, and it is), and call police early.

No different than any other day or place.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    One Saturday we were doing active shooter training and we were sitting in the sanctuary listening to a lecture from CSPD when somebody in the back of the church fired a shot with a starter pistol.
    I guess the Good Idea Fairy is everywhere.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    I guess the Good Idea Fairy is everywhere.
    I don't understand. It was intentional the cop giving the lecture knew it was going happen. His intent was to show us how out of nowhere it can be.

I don't understand. It was intentional the cop giving the lecture knew it was going happen. His intent was to show us how out of nowhere it can be.
    1: A group of possibly / probably armed men . . .
    2: undergoing Active Shooter training . . .
    3: and an SUPRISE! gunshot behind them.

4: Yep. Nothing bad can happen there.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    1: A group of possibly / probably armed men ..
    I see your point but it was a training session at the church. No weapons or live ammunition were permitted in the training area. Like I said it was the Colorado Springs Police Department that did the training it wasn't their first rodeo.
    Last edited by Cypher; 05-10-2019 at 03:38 PM.

I see your point but it was a training session at the church. No weapons or live ammunition were permitted in the training area. Like I said it was the Colorado Springs Police Department that did the training it wasn't their first rodeo.
    1: Thank you for correcting me. I must have missed the "no weapons or live ammunition allowed" in your earlier posts.

2: How were the students cleared as "no weapons"? Wand? Pat-down? A big sign? You know, a "no guns allowed" rule is hard to enforce. Witness school and church shootings.

3: If I implied it was CSPD's first rodeo, I misspoke. In fact, I guessed that it was probably not their first rodeo, and I wasn't greatly worried about the trainer shooting the "SUPRISE!" guy. It was probably gamed up between them, you know, the "Good Idea Fairy". My comments were directed at the trainee audience.

4: Trainees (and I would be startled if there was only one) who for protective reasons brought a NPE gun through whatever security screen was established (see Item 2, above), could reasonably have responded to a gunshot in an known non-permissive environment by returning fire. The following few days would be consumed in interviews and paperwork. Regardless of criminal charges, the inevitable follow-on civil suit(s) would be quite expensive, even if the Church won.

5: Nonetheless, I do not wish to be confrontational. This is not my circus. If you're happy, sir, I'm happy.
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 05-10-2019 at 05:04 PM.

Can we keep this on topic?

User Tag List