Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Decision matrix around what and how you carry in Synagogue/Church/Mosque

Decision matrix around what and how you carry in Synagogue/Church/Mosque

I’ve got 4 key questions I’m curious about but please feel free to add as you see fit.

1. What factors drive you towards what/how you carry when attending (not working security) your house of worship?
    2. What are you carrying?
    3. How are you carrying?
    4. How are you prioritizing the ratio of shootability:concealability:comfort

Well, I am on the security team at our church, but that doesn't change what I carry pretty much every day anyway.

I concealed carry an HK VP9 with green CT laser, IWB, but I will begin carrying a recently acquired Browning Hi Power when my IWB holster arrives for it because I can shoot it very well - better than the VP9 for some reason.

I also have a flashlight, fixed blade knife, Red Saber pepper gel and a spare magazine. My carry ammo is 143gr Federal HST.

I also wear shoes I can run in.

My 2¢.

-------------------------------------------
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Depends on the house of worship. I’ve been to places where openly wearing your finest leather and pistol was totally normal, to where being made could be a really serious issue.

The only place I pop into anymore is pretty unfriendly to carry socially, so I tend toward a very concealable single stack or revolver AIWB on my person. I also carry a messenger bag with book and notepad and such that houses a full sized pistol and a few spare mags, extra medical, etc.

I honestly think that the most important thing for this environment is having something you know your capabilities with, and having a plan to maximize them. You really have to consider the chaos that will erupt around you if something happens and how you will handle that and try to use it to advantage. I’ve never been in a mass shooting situation, but I have been caught in a couple spontaneous riot-like events and there is no way to describe it in a way that can fully convey the gravity of a giant group of people truly freaking out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In my state of residence, Alabama, there are no laws prohibiting carrying of a concealed handgun in a house of religion as long as the individual has a pistol permit. So I carry with my usual full-size handgun (P30 moving to Glock 17) in my usual IWB holster with my usual spare magazine. For me, IWB carry in a Sparks VM-2 is quite comfortable and easy to conceal, so that is what I use.

A lot of this depends on the culture of the local church. I work at a non-denominational church that is relaxed in appearance. People wear untucked shirts as a matter of course. Concealing is easy. I've been to churches where everyone including the kids was wearing suits and ties. This type of environment can impact what is comfortably carried.

Another big element of culture is what is coming from the leadership. I've heard pastors being openly hostile to other pastors for being gun-friendly. Probably not a lot of carry happening there for fear of being belittled. On the other hand, our lead pastor is openly pro-gun, pro-hunting, etc. from the stage and supplies cases of ammo for the security team to train. We are active about having good security and a culture that isn't afraid of hurting someone's feelings on this topic. We are also in a gun-friendly state, so with all that in place, I'm betting that there's a pile of pistols in our church every weekend.

I EDC a G19 in a JM Custom AIWB George.

I dress for Mass a little differently than my normal daily wear, so I tend to wear an IWB rig rather than AIWB. Other than that I carry what I do on a daily basis, a lightweight commander of one variant or another. I lean heavily on a JRC IWB, because it's sized for my 1.25" dress belt.

I also am regularly at church for various activities, many of which are kid heavy; on those occasions I am more careful about reveals and wear a J frame or G43 AIWB, in a Dark Star or mastermind respectively.

I am also alone at church in Adoration at oh dark thirty very frequently. That's a G17 with an X400 in a JMCK rig, because a carbine might lead to awkward conversation.
    Last edited by JAD; 05-08-2019 at 12:24 PM.

Site Supporter
    Our little country Methodist church is relaxed and casual in dress and while nobody says anything about various folks being armed, there's a tacit acknowledgment of the fact that there are several armed folks in attendance. I never discuss the fact that I always have a gun on with anybody there, but I've been hugged by enough old ladies there that I KNOW felt my Glock 19 carried IWB. My wife (also a religious pistol toter) gets a kick out of that and says she thinks they're glad I'm there.

I can't imagine NOT having a gun at church, given how many attacks there are worldwide on houses of worship.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Our little country Methodist church is relaxed and casual in dress and while nobody says anything about various folks being armed, there's a tacit acknowledgment of the fact that there are several armed folks in attendance. I never discuss the fact that I always have a gun on with anybody there, but I've been hugged by enough old ladies there that I KNOW felt my Glock 19 carried IWB. My wife (also a religious pistol toter) gets a kick out of that and says she thinks they're glad I'm there.

I can't imagine NOT having a gun at church, given how many attacks there are worldwide on houses of worship.
    Little old church ladies, patting Wayne on the ass, evokes a unique image.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Little old church ladies, patting Wayne on the ass, evokes a unique image.

Just trying to help them have a good week!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Just trying to help them have a good week!
    Amen!

User Tag List