Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Denver School shooting: At least 7 injured in Highlands Ranch; 2 suspects in custody

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    What the typical Grandparent of my acquaintance would wreak on a school assailant would blast the minds of the dogooders.
    As one of those typical grandparents...damned right. These kids have a right to grow up safe.

Site Supporter
    Reports say that the responders had to force entry as the school was locked down.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/08/u...g-victims.html

Sheriff Spurlock said deputies had to force their way into the school because it was locked down. Law enforcement happened to choose a door that was near the shooting scene and quickly apprehended one of the suspects, who was identified as Devon Erickson, 18.
    Is that a problem? School locks the bad guys in and the responders out?

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    My guess is that, if true, then it would likely be a coincidence. There are not sufficient(maybe not any)data on the subject from which to generalize. As a teacher, I saw train loads of screwed up kids, and I doubt if what was or was not between their legs had anything to do with it. Most often, causes lay with adults who raised(abused)them. I knew many who killed others, but they did it one at a time and away from school.
    I don't know about that anymore. The modern trans movement can, at times, be a little more off-the-rails than I think most people are giving them credit for. FTMs in particular can easily fall off the deep end of the belligerence scale. My personal, very intimate experience in dealing with this particular flavor of trans people is that at least some of them will use "I'm trans" as a defense while spewing all sorts of bile and hostility towards the people they think are their "oppressors," and it often manifests itself in a way that's the same as we're used to seeing with cis male bullies - a lot of anger and macho posturing to compensate for a lot of insecurity.

Throw a significant dosage of testosterone into the equation and you've got yourself one hell of a volatile emotional cocktail. Good parents might even make the situation worse; the example I was exposed to had two of the nicest, most welcoming, hardest-working parents I've ever met, but because they didn't "get it" and weren't exactly accepting of their child's decisions, there was a lot of venom sent their way in basically every sentence spoken or written about them.

I would not at all be surprised if some or all of these things apply to the shooter here.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Reports say that the responders had to force entry as the school was locked down.

Responding officers should have a way of entering without having to force a door or window- key fobs in the cruisers come to mind.

Denver School shooting: At least 7 injured in Highlands Ranch; 2 suspects in custody

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post

Someone is going to have to rethink that policy and how to lock down due to internal threats vs. external ones.
    Last edited by TAZ; 05-08-2019 at 09:58 PM.

Banned
    I am very impressed with the stand our local Fox affiliate has taken

Banned
    Sheriff Spurlock is being a little quite about this

https://kdvr.com/2019/05/08/private-...hool-shooting/

DENVER - An armed security guard, employed privately by STEM School Highlands Ranch, helped apprehend one of the shooters Tuesday.

"He probably saved more lives than he thinks he did," said Tyler Christensen, an 8th-grade student who was near the gunshots. "It makes him a hero. To me, he is a hero."

FOX31 confirmed the security guard was employed through BOSS High Level Protection.

BOSS is a local security agency which contracts with private and charter schools.

"Our guy was instrumental in taking down one of the shooters and we believed he saved a lot of lives," said Grant Whitus, the owner of BOSS.
    Last edited by Cypher; 05-08-2019 at 10:19 PM.

Banned

There was a vigil held tonite for the student who died trying to stop the shooters

https://www.krdo.com/news/planned-vi...nts/1076526878

a vigil that was put on by the Colorado branch of Team Enough for the STEM School shooting victims and survivors took an unexpected turn Wednesday night at Highlands Ranch High School

The vigil was beginning to wrap up when students walked out saying the event became about politics and not the tragedy that shook STEM School to its core

Apparently some of our local politicians including state Senator Michael Bennet showed up and tried to turn the thing into a political rally for gun control. The students got up and walked out on him.

(Added link to news report)
    Last edited by Cypher; 05-09-2019 at 01:39 AM.

The Hero Solution to the Mass-Shooting Contagion

“We’re now remembering the heroes’ names more than the shooters. The shooters failed in two of their core missions — to kill large numbers of victims and achieve enduring fame. And if they keep failing, I wonder . . . could the mass-shooting contagion finally start to break?”
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    https://pluralist.com/maya-mckinney-...be66rzR4oeu_qA

Second Colorado Shooting Suspect Demands Court Respect Her Preferred Pronouns

The second suspect in a Tuesday shooting at STEM School Highlands Ranch in Colorado is a 16-year-old transgender boy who goes by the name Alec McKinney, the New York Post reported.

McKinney is suspected of aiding 18-year-old Devon Erickson in committing the shooting that left one student dead and eight injured.

During a Wednesday court appearance, lawyers for McKinney – who is a biological female legally named Maya – asked that their client’s preferred pronouns be respected and that McKinney be referred to as “he.”

Apparently one of the Colorado STEM school shooters is an anti-conservative activist and the other is a transgender female who’s very concerned about being “misgendered.” These are just initial reports, but I wonder:

1) what role did their ideology play in the shooting ?

2) how much attention will be paid to the ideology of the shooters ?

2) conversely is the ideology of the shooters the reason this incident is not getting as much main stream media attention as other recent school shootings ?

I also don’t know what a “disability justice advocate” is but I think she nailed with her last line:

Disability justice advocate Lydia X.Z. Brown echoed the McKinney legal team’s sentiments on Twitter Thursday, urging journalists not to “deadname” the suspect.

“Dear every reporter writing about the #STEMShooting #ColoradoShooting: There is zero reason to publish a trans person’s deadname. Especially a minor’s deadname,” Brown said. “This dude is a murderous asshole. Neither being trans nor having psych disabilities made him an asshole.”
    As for the 18 year old...

Local news outlets reported that Erickson does not have a criminal record. However, the young man has a well-documented record of anti-conservative activism on social media.

Erickson, a registered Democrat who expressed support for LGBT rights, said on Facebook in 2014 that he hated Christians for their beliefs about homosexuality.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-09-2019 at 11:13 PM.

User Tag List