Thread: Bradford Guardian 3 -- Too Small or Just Right?

Bradford Guardian 3 -- Too Small or Just Right?

I'd like to buy a small fixed blade for my father. He has a neurological condition that makes fine motor skills (like manipulating a folder) difficult. I liked the description of the Bradford Guardian 3 as a fixed bladed that can be carried as easily as a folder but I'm worried it might be too small to easily hold on to. Anyone have any experience?

Also considering an Izula II (which I have and like) but think the scales might be a little on the large side for him to comfortably carry daily. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Site Supporter
    Unless that is some sort of super-steel, the Bradford seems overpriced. You can get an Izula 2 for much less. If the Micarta scales are too big, remove them and cord wrap the handle or find some thinner scales. If you plan to cord wrap and your dad's hands aren't particularly large, you could save some money with the Izula (no scales and slightly smaller handle).

Chris

My understanding is that M390 is a super steel.

From BladeHQ

Bohler M390 is widely revered as being the best all-around knife steel, which has led top companies to widely utilize it in higher end knives. M390 exhibits excellent edge retention, corrosion resistance, and high level toughness.

Bohler M390 and its analogs, CPM-20V and CTS 204P are excellent all around stainless steels.

It is common enough that a large premium need not be paid for having it on a knife.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Really interested in this too. Wanting a utility knife that I can carry around or take camping etc. shopping the 3 and maybe even the 4 against the Benchmade Steep Country. Any thoughts? The 3 seems too small and the 4 seems too large.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I’m simply someone who carries a utility knife, not an expert, not a power user, nothing like that. But I do own a guardian 3, and have for nearly 6 months now, and carry it most every day in an Armatus Carry sheath. Comfortable and useful for utility type tasks I would have used a delica or similar for, a bit nicer to use because a bit beefier in hand. My delica kept falling out of my pocket which is why I went to this style of knife. Mine is 390. It gets a lot of sweat on it on hot days, but seems to tolerate it pretty well although I do wipe it down with a silicone rag pretty frequently. You can find them relatively well priced on amazon. I’m sorry that I can’t offer more, but that’s what I know.
    Last edited by Medusa; 09-17-2019 at 10:38 PM.

Site Supporter
    Good suggestions so far, a few additional ideas. I own (1) and (3), both highly recommended, (2) is one I'd personally consider based on Lionsteel's reputation, the specs, and the M390 steel. Of these, I like the Street Beat the best, but the Mule probably has the nicest handles.

• Spyderco Mule. Get the steel you want, like this one for example, buy a pair of scales and a sheath, and go. Here's mine.
    • Lionsteel M1 GBK. A nice compact with a good handle and M390 stainless.
    • Spyderco Street Beat. This knife has has an interesting handle, I own one, it's actually surprisingly effective and gives you a good purchase on a knife this size. This blade is highly regarded by the Bladeforums guys.

Site Supporter
    A heads up to OP, if you haven't already gotten the knife for your dad. Bradford has all knives with textured or tiger G10 scales, on sale for 25% off through the weekend.

I always liked my G4 "3D" in M390, fantastic knife, but could never get comfortable with the handle on the 3's. Either way, if you still want the 3 with either of those grips, it's a nice sale.

User Tag List