Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 Grip Tang Cuts Me

Beretta 92 Grip Tang Cuts Me

When building my two-handed freestyle grip, the edges of the beavertail/grip tang dig into the base knuckle on my thumb. In dry fire, this is uncomfortable. In live fire, it literally cuts the skin. What are some solutions for taking down those sharp edges on that part of the beavertail? Pics can be provided if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  43.8 KB
Views: 914
Size:  69.5 KB

Had the same problem: the perfectly finished frame had too many sharp edges, and the first time I shot 300+ on the same day, I had a hole in my thumb next to the web.

I used a fine (400 grit, IIRC) emery block. Hit the trigger guard edges and corners by the magazine release while I was at it.

I hear tell there are commercial companies that will knock them all down for you and refinish your frame, and maybe that’s a better idea. I just wanted to be happy shooting my gun.

Site Supporter
    The best solution is to buy an Elite LTT. Ernest was able to convince Beretta to reshape the beavertail on that model, and it's much nicer for extended shooting sessions, IMHO.

Everything else gets attacked with a file. I haven't bothered to have the frames refinished.

Also, I've noticed that the older guns from ~20-30 years ago had more rounded edges on the beavertail, and weren't nearly so bad about creating the hot spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
Views: 904
Size:  43.8 KB
Views: 914
Size:  69.5 KB

Had the same problem: the perfectly finished frame had too many sharp edges, and the first time I shot 300+ on the same day, I had a hole in my thumb next to the web.

I used a fine (400 grit, IIRC) emery block. Hit the trigger guard edges and corners by the magazine release while I was at it.

I hear tell there are commercial companies that will knock them all down for you and refinish your frame, and maybe that’s a better idea. I just wanted to be happy shooting my gun.
    That may just be the ticket, got a lead on the emery blocks that you used?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    The best solution is to buy an Elite LTT. Ernest was able to convince Beretta to reshape the beavertail on that model, and it's much nicer for extended shooting sessions, IMHO.

Everything else gets attacked with a file. I haven't bothered to have the frames refinished.

Also, I've noticed that the older guns from ~20-30 years ago had more rounded edges on the beavertail, and weren't nearly so bad about creating the hot spots.
    I’ve noticed that even some samples from a few years ago have much nicer rounded edges there. Guess I just got lucky with mine and didn’t know to pay attention to it when I bought it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    That may just be the ticket, got a lead on the emery blocks that you used?

I think I bought it at Lowes?

Site Supporter

The solution is buy an Elite LTT from Langdon with the carry / dehorn job. My LTT has very sharp edges around the trigger guard.

My Wilson Centac has a hot spot on the tang too.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-07-2019 at 12:02 PM.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I love my LTT, but I still get abraded pretty good on a 500 round day with lots of draw work. I can’t bring myself to hit her with a file, though. Or, I haven’t so far. My skin seems to be toughening up a bit in the pertinent spot.

Last edited by Medusa; 05-07-2019 at 10:11 PM.

Site Supporter

Beretta 92 Grip Tang Cuts Me

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The solution is buy an Elite LTT from Langdon with the carry / dehorn job. My LTT has very sharp edges around the trigger guard.
    I like the way you think.

I found the LTT to be much improved in the trigger guard. There’s clearly an additional chamfer cut on the lower edge, which is one that usually bothers me. I wish they’d also done the same to the upper (or inside) edge as well. Even so, the LTT is the only B92 I haven’t felt the need to take a file to,

LTT on the bottom, CenTac on the top with file work clearly visible.
    Last edited by Dave J; 05-08-2019 at 12:41 AM.

Site Supporter
    I suppose my tang cuts are probably about like everyone else’s. I do mine with a flat needle file, with chalk so the file doesn’t load up. Sandpaper on a flat stick would work too.

From left to right: Unmodified Elite LTT, dehorned 92A1, dehorned CenTac. On the far right is a 92 Compact, which has a slightly shorter beaver tail that seems very comfortable to me without any changes.

User Tag List