Thread: .22lr round nose vs hollow point

.22lr round nose vs hollow point

For pest, small game hunting is there a difference in terminal performance between the two? Is the round nose lead options soft enough to expand when hitting critters. Or is it much of a much.

Sorry supposed to be in the ammunition sub forum.

Quote Originally Posted by flux View Post
    For pest, small game hunting is there a difference in terminal performance between the two? Is the round nose lead options soft enough to expand when hitting critters. Or is it much of a much.
    Yes, there is a difference, especially with game like squirrels. I use solid points on squirrels so as to not ruin meat. .22 LR HV hollow point ammo does much more damage than solid point ammo on squirrels. I prefer to take head shots on squirrels and prefer to use standard velocity to further reduce meat damage as even high-velocity solid points can do a lot of damage. Same for rabbits.

For larger animals, say a raccoon or armadillo, I use high-velocity HP ammo as a raccoon is much tougher than a squirrel. In other words, I select the ammo based on the animal.

This is by far the best small game 22lr I’ve used for both vermin and squirrels.

CCI truncated cone (small game bullet) SGB

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/cci-...058-p-882.aspx
    Last edited by MolonLabe416; 05-09-2019 at 04:23 PM.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

I prefer hollow points for plinking as they deform more readily if they strike the dirt or water at an angle. This irregular shape is not likely to travel as far if they ricochet.

User Tag List