Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: My new M66-8

How is the 66-8 faring? The features, except for the lock, are really appealing: full length ejector rod, the strengthened forcing cone, and the supposedly stronger locking system with that ball detent. I also just reread your first post about buying the gun for under $600 and almost teared up because the cheapest one I’ve seen recently was $900.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    How is the 66-8 faring? The features, except for the lock, are really appealing: full length ejector rod, the strengthened forcing cone, and the supposedly stronger locking system with that ball detent. I also just reread your first post about buying the gun for under $600 and almost teared up because the cheapest one I’ve seen recently was $900.
    Looks like its been almost 2 years. Ive really lost count of rounds but I typically shoot 50rds/week out of it lately. This week was 150.

Every once in a while Ill carry a 1911 but 99% of the time its the 66.

No signs of it falling apart yet. Accuracy exceeds my expectations, triggers been great. All in all its probably been one of my favorite, most useful, and trouble free guns.

The only issue I really had with it was undersized throats that leaded up the inside of the cylinder and caused really heavy trigger pulls. I had them honed out.

Now I can shoot 500-700rds without cleaning with no issues.

It sounds like a solid performer. For those people who carry an older K-Frame from the “they don’t build them like that anymore” days and are worried about putting too much wear and tear on it, the 66-8 would be a perfect training gun. Besides the fact that they’re seemingly tougher and more durable than the older guns because of the forcing cone and locking detent upgrades, if anything does break down S&W should easily be able to repair or replace the gun since it’s a currently produced model.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    It sounds like a solid performer. For those people who carry an older K-Frame from the “they don’t build them like that anymore” days and are worried about putting too much wear and tear on it, the 66-8 would be a perfect training gun. Besides the fact that they’re seemingly tougher and more durable than the older guns because of the forcing cone and locking detent upgrades, if anything does break down S&W should easily be able to repair or replace the gun since it’s a currently produced model.
    I have a m10-5 ,m15-3, m19-3, m64, and a m64-5. I think the m66-8 is the smoothest one.

At least with .357s you can shoot .38s to lengthen the life span of the gun but I do enjoy shooting .357 level loads. Not the hottest ones but 158s@1150-1250 which is why I like my 66 so much. I dont really need a backup. Although thats why I had a 3" gun built

I love handling my m19 though, and those 2.5" 66s and 19s are pure sex.

Name:  20210601_151334.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  101.1 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

Name:  20210601_151334.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  101.1 KB
    Very nice ! I love to see the progression and see it being used in a match shooting steel !

I just scored an early 2000 prelock 686 4” for competition and payed way too much for a mint “2.5” pre lock 66 (1999-2000)

I love to see others enjoying revolvers as legitimate daily carry options

Although I carry a Gen 5 MRDS 19, I really only carry J frames and soon the 66 off duty unless driving through Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by arcticlightfighter View Post
    Very nice ! I love to see the progression and see it being used in a match shooting steel !

I just scored an early 2000 prelock 686 4” for competition and payed way too much for a mint “2.5” pre lock 66 (1999-2000)

I love to see others enjoying revolvers as legitimate daily carry options

Although I carry a Gen 5 MRDS 19, I really only carry J frames and soon the 66 off duty unless driving through Minneapolis
    Thanks

Coming in 4th out of 10 really just proves the top 3 placers forgot to show up @snow white

Site Supporter
    Haha unlikely ! Good fun all around when you bring a wheely to a range!

I ran my 642 hard on an off duty training event getting consistent hits on steel at 45 yards from my Phlster IWB

As I age (50) and after over 20 years in LE carrying a semi auto, I am appreciating the role of a revolver as a legitimate SD firearm more and more.

With training I can get hits in target and reloads as fast as my colleagues with their compact 9mm’s

Now I just need to learn to work on them ... revolver vodoo is much more nuanced

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Thanks

Coming in 4th out of 10 really just proves the top 3 placers forgot to show up @snow white
    Haha yeah I totally brain farted the match. But for good reason. I've been laid out from a ride on lawnmower accident the past few days.....and thats not even a joke. Feeling 70% now though so ill definitely be ready to crush next month.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Name:  IMG_20220207_153048.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  20.5 KB

I don't know. Smith & Wesson walnut combat grips

User Tag List