Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My new M66-8

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I currently use a jmcustom aiwb holster for my 4" m19. I'm tempted to cut an inch off the bottom but I'm concerned it won't tuck the grip in as much
    There's a rumor that Dark Star Gear may be releasing a 3" M19 KFrame holster in the coming weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by powell556 View Post
    I'm very new to the revolver game but in my research it seems like 2.5" barrel 66s in the -1 range with pre-MIM parts and no lock are available in around the $700 range. Assuming that isn't just a fluke and I saw amazing deals, wouldn't the extra $100 be worth it to get the older model that has superior internals?

I think the new ones have a replaceable front site which might be a benefit. Not sure about 2.5" versus 2.75". I do know the vintage 3" M66s go for crazy money due to being more rare, but I have seen 2.5" lately for around $700.

My biggest concern with buying an older vintage one used is that you might spend the extra $100ish premium on it, have it break, send it back to S&W, and they warranty it by sending you a brand new gun that you could have gotten for $100 less from the beginning.
    For me the benefit in the new gun vs. a 2.5” version is the full length ejector and the replaceable sights.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    For me the benefit in the new gun vs. a 2.5” version is the full length ejector and the replaceable sights.
    Plus the concentric forcing cone too. Plus S&W can't service old guns if they're out of parts, like gas rings.

That's 4 things that I value in the new guns.

Depending on what's broke they'll just send it back and then you need to send it out to a real gunsmith
    Last edited by 03RN; 05-09-2019 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by powell556 View Post
    There's a rumor that Dark Star Gear may be releasing a 3" M19 KFrame holster in the coming weeks.
    Sweet, I hope it can use 2 DCC.

Will be interested to see how it holds up for you. Some of the things mentioned (parts availability, more durable forcing cone, barrel length) are intriguing. Maybe someday S&W will remove the lock from the non-J frames and I can start buying their revolvers new again.

Name:  KIMG1249.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  54.1 KB
    No QC complaints. Was dead on from the factory. First 50 rounds were 158gr factory federal JSP. Boy, my forearm was smoked after 50rds. I love these grips for carrying but they make lots of heavy .357 shooting a workout.

Not my best accuracy but in my defense it was a brand new gun and the DA was hitching. Just felt dry(which it was).

Next 50 rounds was 158gr swc over 13.5gr 2400.
    Better accuracy. Less recoil.

Next 50 were in .38 cases. 5.2gr of unique under a 158 truncated bullet. All fast double action cylinder dumps with speedloader reloads. The 3x5 card was only at 25 feet but it was rediculously easy to hit as fast as I could find the front sight.

No complaints. The lock is gone. New grips installed and I need to find my tiny roll pin punch so I can install a night sight. Considering it was perfectly zeroed from the factory and looks like it's mechanically zeroed im wondering if it's a candidate for a fixed rear sight.

Really handles nice.

Name:  KIMG1254.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  60.5 KB

Site Supporter
    If you can afford to buy an older M66 and can locate a like new one, I urge you to do so. K frame action parts will fit the M66. Buy an extra extractor rod and shop for the very few other parts making fitting inside the cylinder and set these aside. You may never need them. The new revolvers are ok but lack the grace and soul of the older ones. My opinion is that the older guns are smoother. In my prime when blindfolded and presented with 5 different K frames to study, I could then distinguish between and among them by noting the differences in their actions. Part of this trick depended on detecting sound differences. Newer Smiths with less dense mim parts have a slightly different sound when working the action. That's a moot point. However, my experience prompts me to say that the newer guns can be made smooth but not quite as smooth as the older ones. Most would never know the difference, which does not matter anyway.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    The 2.75" 66-8 looks interesting. The price is arguably less than the going rate for 3" M-66s.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I'm not to worried about soul. I bought this as a beater to shoot a lot.

User Tag List