Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My new M66-8

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I like the fact it seems as if the gun fits your life not your life fits your gun. I think it checks off all the boxes for you and is perfect.

I like those grips. I have Uncle Mikes on my 3" 65 but am not sure they are the ones.
    Thanks. I kinda fell back into revolvers a year ago now and am really enjoying shooting them and carrying them. Thanks a lot to PF.

This M66 really covers all my bases. It may not be as accurate as my M19 or my 1911s but it's close. Easier to carry, powerful enough for woods use and if I can get close enough to a bear this year I feel confident in it.
    Last edited by 03RN; 06-04-2019 at 05:58 PM.

How’s your M66-8 holding up? I’m getting interested in one.

Thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

Thanks,

Okie John
    Me too. As soon as they drop the lock.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

Thanks,

Okie John
    I'm almost to 1k RDS over the last 2 months. No big concerns. The ball detent still doesn't pop back untill the first trigger pull.
    Every once in a while I get a hard trigger pull but I think that has more to do with lead/unique loads causing issues but I can't say for sure.

I really like it with my mods. I can't​think of anything else I'd do to it. Or any revolver to make it perfect tonight.

Of course I was carrying a 1911 tonight

A handsome gun that just looks right. Thanks for this round count thread, very interesting and very useful.
    On the hard pulls, is your under the extractor star territory a clean and dry place?

Quote Originally Posted by DueSpada View Post
    A handsome gun that just looks right. Thanks for this round count thread, very interesting and very useful.
    On the hard pulls, is your under the extractor star territory a clean and dry place?
    It's only ever happened with my unique reloads when I don't forcefully strike the ejector rod vertically.

I might have to add one for the replaceable FS and beefier forcing cone.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I might have to add one for the replaceable FS and beefier forcing cone.
    That's what I'm thinking.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Seems like a fast gun for the barrel length. Tight B/C gap?

Quote Originally Posted by paul105 View Post
    Standard Caution Applies to Handloads -- For Information Only, Use at Your Own Risk

Labradar Muzzle Velocity (familiarization run)
    60 Deg F
    S&W M66-8 2.75" .357 Mag

130gr Fed Hydra-Shok JHP "Personal Defense" PD357HS2 H …….. 1,416 fps avg (84 fps ES) -- two rounds
    140gr Underwood Xtreme Penetrator (Philips head mono metal).. 1,422 fps avg ( 5 fps ES) -- two rounds
    158gr Horn Xtp - 15.0gr A2400 Std small pistol, new Starline...… 1,316 fps avg (49 fps ES) -- six rounds
    165gr CSWCGC (358156) - 13.0gr A2400 New Starline ...… 1,070 fps avg (49 fps ES) -- six rounds
    180gr Buff Bore …………………………………………………………………………….. 1,312 fps avg ( 6 fps ES) -- two rounds
    185gr LFNGC (Beartooth), 15.0gr Lil'Gun, CCI 400 New Starline.. 1,228 fps avg (14 fps ES) – two rounds
    200gr WLNGC (leadheads), 13.4gr H110, Fed 205, New Starline.. 1,102 fps avg ( 4 fps ES) – two rounds
    200gr WLNGC (leadheads), 14.4gr H110, Fed 205, New Starline.. 1,155 fps avg ( 5 fps ES) – two rounds
    (purported to be the “Doubletap” load info)

200gr WLNGC (leadheads) handload with Lil Gun ………………………. 1,266 fps avg ( 2 fps ES) -- two rounds
    Load data not given -- maybe too much of a good thing. Spent cases fell from chambers, and no obvious signs of over pressure. Recoil was heavy. Don't even know if this stabilizes.

If even needed, I would vet for crimp jump, and limit useage of the 180, 185, and 200gr loads in J,K, & L Frame guns.

Also ran two Buff Bore 180s thru 16" Rossi M92 carbine ……………. 1,894 fps avg ( 6 fps ES) -- two rounds

Larger sample would change results but probably not a great deal.

Note: reran 165gr/13.0gr A2400 with new components with the above results.

Originally bought the 200gr LFNGC Leadheads to load in my Ruger Maximum. Got curious, so loaded some in the .357 mag. Haven’t put any on paper, but no problem hitting various shaped steel plates at 28 yds offhand with the 2 Ύ”.

Was surprised at velocities from the 2 Ύ” bbl.

Looking forward to 03RN's impressions.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CTX44 View Post
    Seems like a fast gun for the barrel length. Tight B/C gap?
    It seemed fast to me too. Could be just tolerance stacking. Checked bbl/cyl gap -- .004 feeler gauge go, .006 no go.

FWIW, Paul

User Tag List