Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RFI -Shooting bowling pins - w/ 9mm

I LOVED pin shoots! So much so that I ran monthly matches for better than 8 years!!!

"7 for 9" is how the 9mm's should be handled. 7 pins one foot from the back edge of the
    table. A square hit from any 9mm will have them topple and generally off the table, as OFF
    the table is a requirement! (excepting 22's of course)

I beat the holy snot out of a Ithaca 1911 with 250 grain flat point's at about 850+fps (case full of Unique)
    Using that load, a 26# recoil spring and a good grip, pins left the table quite well and well under 4 seconds.

Damn, now I am thinking pin shoots!!!!
    Last edited by P.E. Kelley; 05-09-2019 at 10:13 AM.
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    Cool. I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts, after.
    I know it's been over a month, but I ended up not shooting the match I referenced because it was on Mother's Day (a fact I missed when I first considered attending. Luckily I caught my error before SWMBO did. ).

However, I just got home from the 2nd match. Our table isn't fully regulation depth. I'd say it's 2', maybe 2.5' deep. As a result, 9mm had no problem knocking them off. That said, I think a solid hit from 9mm would work even on a 4' table, but it better be a dead solid hit.

I used Fed 147gr HST. I felt kind of wasteful using premium ammo for something like this, but also felt it would be good to get some action shooting time with my carry load. Also, the heavier bullet and hollow point felt like it may be more effective.

Our match was set up with 6 pins at 10yds and 6 pin-shaped steel plates at 15yds. You shot the pins, then reloaded and shot the plates. However, the two were scored separately. While I used HST for the pins, I switched to bulk ammo for the plates on my 2nd round.

As for my own performance, I was probably in the top third (I left after my two rounds, but the match was still going), but I struggled because I found myself shooting to the left of the pins for some reason. Once I realized my issue, I used some "Kentucky Windage" and cut my time in half. I was still down timewise because I had to clear a couple missed pins. I need to figure out what I was doing wrong to be hitting so far left...

It was fun though and a relaxed atmosphere. Not many folks there, so I was able to run two rounds in less than 45min.

Chris

Love reading it! I'm recently in Fredericksburg, may I ask where in NOVA the pin matches are held?

I would absolutely agree that the 9mm requires a much more refined POA on a pin than "Major" 40, 45, or 10mm, but an excessively casual bit of aiming with the bigger guns will still result in pins laying down on the table instead of being pushed off.

Man-on-man pins is still my favorite shooting sport.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    Love reading it! I'm recently in Fredericksburg, may I ask where in NOVA the pin matches are held?

I would absolutely agree that the 9mm requires a much more refined POA on a pin than "Major" 40, 45, or 10mm, but an excessively casual bit of aiming with the bigger guns will still result in pins laying down on the table instead of being pushed off.

Man-on-man pins is still my favorite shooting sport.
    These are at Fairfax Rod and Gun club (oddly enough, in Manassas).

http://www.fxrgc.org/index.cfm?Section=16&PageNum=242

Chris

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    There’s finally a centerfire handgun bowling pin match this Thursday at my club. I’ll make it if I can. I got some 147 gr flat nose to try. We will see.
    Last edited by Medusa; 06-09-2019 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    There’s finally a centerfire handgun bowling pin match this Thursday at my club. I’ll make it if I can. I got some 147 gr flat nose to try. We will see.
    Do have fun.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Something came up that will prevent me from going tonight, but they’ve another in a few weeks, and I’ll try that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Don't sweat trying to "game" things too early in.
    Shoot it a few times with what you already have, and you'll have a better idea of what you may want/need.
    this is good advice for trying out new shooting sports in general

Just shot a ported .45 ACP and a three-inch .41 Mag, a 657, at The Pin Shoot in Central
    Lake. Found out, once again, that you have to hit them in the center, and
    it is impossible "to miss fast enough to win." The short .41 doesn't appear to give up
    much, if anything, to a six-inch version. Pins left the table quickly, (when hit) the .41
    was a lot of fun to shoot.

Despite more missing than I expected, still had fun.

User Tag List