Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI -Shooting bowling pins - w/ 9mm

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I confess I am a bit hesitant to run non saami 9 major thru my weapons. As it happens the Fiocchi 115 fmj (nominal 1200 FPS)I train with is super similar to federal 115 jhp I carry (nominal 1225 FPS). I have a bunch of the latter and it’s not ultra spendy, so I can see how it works on pins.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    Pin shooting is my very favorite, and for years I only had a 9 to do it with (2000-2004).

I used 124 grain +p hollow point (Golden Sabers, as it happened).

My course of action when faced with your current situation was to just use my defensive ammo. It got me used to shooting the stuff I was carrying, and I was confident it cycled in the gun. You can use it to help teach yourself centering a large target at speed. Assuming the pins aren’t heavily loaded down with previous hits, center “sweet spot” hits will take the pins off the table. Your call if you’d prefer 147 or 124, but 115 would make me hesitate. On the other hand, if you view it as a chance to shoot your carry ammo under competition pressure, rock on with the 115.

If I was going to get a dedicated pin load, I’d probably use the 147 HP Major load from Atlanta Arms @ 1170 FPS.
    https://atlantaarms.com/products/9mm...jhp-elite.html

Sounds fun!

Agree, go with what you have, at least until you are sure you like it and know what is going on.
    There used to be two pin shoots around here, neither was to strict Second Chance rules. One had narrower tables to accommodate smallbores, the other had large tables and emphasized magnums, rifles, and shotguns.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

As sort of mentioned, it all depends on the setup. Driving a bowling pin back the official 3 feet can be tough with a 9mm. Typically a power factor of 200 is recommended. Beat up pins or wooden topped tables make this even tougher.

If the pins are set 12-18” from the back edge of the table, a 9mm will be fine. It’s a game of momentum, so heavier bullets are generally better.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I understand there to be two challenges: momentum and ‘grab.’ Momentum is addressed with heavier bullets and getting the round to not skid off the pin can be addressed with wadcutters or JHPs.

Or, alternately, momentum with hitting the pin higher, and grab by hitting it more in the center. You take the high road, and all that.
    I would enjoy that a lot. I sure did back in the day at Blackhawk Range south of San Antonio. I used a 1911 and my SWC reloads but I'd shop for economy priced 147 grain for 9mm.

This isn't JHP but at least its a flat point: https://www.sgammo.com/product/cci-a...rass-ammo-5203

A bit more for a cheap JHP: https://www.sgammo.com/product/prvi-...-partizan-defe

At the close ranges of pin matches I wouldn't be too concerned with needing premium ammo.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I constructed a swinging bowling pin suspended from a metal frame. By drilling a hole thru the top ,threading nylon clothes line into it, and attaching it between two tight washers,on the frame top.
    That range trip was big time fun, as I witnessed my friend ,as he hit that bowling pin a few times , while it was swinging .He used a Beretta compact & 124 gr. ammo.
    He has since become a LEO in Coraopolis, PA. (Specially knowledged guy in firearms) & still uses swinging bowling pins for practice.
    Same policeman is also a bodyguard for Ben Roethlesberger, and has been his friend & shooting buddy for years.
    Custer wore the 1st "Arrow shirt".
    Given the size & power of “Ivan”, we must now … and ever be Vigilant.

Shooting bowling pins or swinging steel with 9mm vs. 45 Auto in standard loadings provides immediate and obvious instruction about the difference between energy and momentum in terminal ballistic effects.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

I used to love shooting pin matches in my college days. I am a little surprised to hear reports of success with 9mm loads from folks—with the loads that were readily available back when the first Bush and the first Clinton were a thing, 9mm had a tendency to zip right through the pins. Slow, heavy, and "barrier observant" is the order of the day.

.45acp was the clear favorite. Since I was a poor music student, I shot the matches with the only gun I had: a 4" NY-1 K-frame .38, loaded with cor-bon’s 158 LSWCHP +P+. The soft 158 lead slugs moving at an easy 1000fps took the pins off, if I got the hits.

I’ve told this story here before, but I’m happy to spout it again since it’s germane:

The very first time I ever shot a pin match, I was understandably a little nervous. I was younger than most at the match, being an undergrad, and looking around, it seemed to me like I was horribly undergunned with my little K-frame .38. I figured that all I could do is get the best hits I could and let the pin chips fall where they may. At the go signal, I raise my NY-1 wheelie, center the FS, and press my very first shot. The 158gr cor-bon slug center punches the pin—and I mean dead center—and then arcs directly back, hitting me on the bridge of my nose right under my shooting glasses, drawing blood. By all accounts, I shook my head once, and then cleared the rest of the pins, one shot per pin.

The range master—who happened to be simply rugged’s Rob Leahy—called cease fire on the range and a bunch of people who saw the slug return came running up to see if I was alright. I was, of course, minus a cut on my nose—the LSWCHP had dumped all its energy on the pin, and flattened out into a nickel-sized lead disc, which Rob picked up off the ground and handed me "Here, this is for your medicine bag."

And that’s my first pin shoot experience, and that is also how a then-liberal music major became pretty good friends with Alaskan/Arizonan patriot Rob Leahy.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 05-08-2019 at 10:09 AM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    As I train, I try to remember that range targets aren’t threat targets. But I hear you and acknowledge the data points.

We will see how it goes with the pins. The steel thus far hasn’t been an issue with 1200 FPS 115 gr 9mm. I appreciate the input. Basically if it requires spendy ammo or another firearm it may turn out not to be for me, but again, we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    Shooting bowling pins or swinging steel with 9mm vs. 45 Auto in standard loadings provides immediate and obvious instruction about the difference between energy and momentum in terminal ballistic effects.
    Last edited by Medusa; 05-08-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I used to love shooting pin matches in my college days. I am a little surprised to hear reports of success with 9mm loads from folks—with the loads that were readily available back when the first Bush and the first Clinton were a thing, 9mm had a tendency to zip right through the pins. Slow, heavy, and "barrier observant" is the order of the day.

.45acp was the clear favorite. Since I was a poor music student, I shot the matches with the only gun I had: a 4" NY-1 K-frame .38, loaded with cor-bon’s 158 LSWCHP +P+. The soft 158 lead slugs moving at an easy 1000fps took the pins off, if I got the hits.

I’ve told this story here before, but I’m happy to spout it again since it’s germane:

The very first time I ever shot a pin match, I was understandably a little nervous. I was younger than most at the match, being an undergrad, and looking around, it seemed to me like I was horribly undergunned with my little K-frame .38. I figured that all I could do is get the best hits I could and let the pin chips fall where they may. At the go signal, I raise my NY-1 wheelie, center the FS, and press my very first shot. The 158gr cor-bon slug center punches the pin—and I mean dead center—and then arcs directly back, hitting me on the bridge of my nose right under my shooting glasses, drawing blood. By all accounts, I shook my head once, and then cleared the rest of the pins, one shot per pin.

The range master—who happened to be simply rugged’s Rob Leahy—called cease fire on the range and a bunch of people who saw the slug return came running up to see if I was alright. I was, of course, minus a cut on my nose—the LSWCHP had dumped all its energy on the pin, and flattened out into a nickel-sized lead disc, which Rob picked up off the ground and handed me "Here, this is for your medicine bag."

And that’s my first pin shoot experience, and that is also how a then-liberal music major became pretty good friends with Alaskan/Arizonan patriot Rob Leahy.
    That's awesome!

At the pin matches I attended they had big tire berms as the side wall of the bay. 230 grain hard ball would sometimes, but regularly do a U turn, skip off a few tires and then come up skipping the calichi. You could see 'em coming and field them like a shortstop with no more speed than someone skipping rocks off the water.
    Last edited by JHC; 05-08-2019 at 11:22 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    You could see 'em coming and field them like a shortstop with no more speed than someone skipping rocks off the water.
    When I was a relatively inexperienced shooter, one of my mentors/shooting buddies—it may well have been Rob Leahy, come to think of it—pointed out that you could see .45 acp hardball as it went down range. At first I thought he was pulling my leg, but as soon as I saw the first one reflect sunlight on the way between combat commander and cardboard, I couldn’t *not* see it. Pretty trippy. And some .44 special loads from short barrels may as well have been arrows from a long bow, for all the time they took to get from muzzle to target.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List