Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI -Shooting bowling pins - w/ 9mm

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand

RFI -Shooting bowling pins - w/ 9mm

I recently joined a local gun club and something they have, that I’m interested in, is informal bowling pin matches. It seems like it might be a fun way to add some variety to my training and shooting. I’m already trying to do IDPA and USPSA.

Thing is all my handguns are 9mm and I’d really like to keep it that way, but I’m hearing that it’s an uphill battle to use 9mm for pins, especially 115 gr of the sort I train with and carry. Some say 147s work ok....

I’m interested in hearing your thoughts and perspectives on this. My goal is to use either my carry Px4CC or uspsa LTT for this, and not to acquire another weapon just for this purpose. I could maybe justify a .45 px4 full size but I’d rather not.

I've shot pins with a variety of 9mm's & .38 Spl, and you should be fine running what you have.
    Back when I shot regularly, one guy would clean up with a Browning Buckmark .22 with mounted RDS.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    I may be shooting a match next weekend with my 9mm. Years ago, when I last did this, I used a 44mag stoked with warm 44-special-level loads in mag brass. However, the shooting string has changed in such a way to put 6-7 shot revolvers at a significant disadvantage. Additionally, the rules say no magnums. I don't feel like trying to explain my mag brass isn't loaded with mag loads. So, 9mm Glock it is.

Chris

Banned
    Cool. I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts, after.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I may be shooting a match next weekend with my 9mm. Years ago, when I last did this, I used a 44mag stoked with warm 44-special-level loads in mag brass. However, the shooting string has changed in such a way to put 6-7 shot revolvers at a significant disadvantage. Additionally, the rules say no magnums. I don't feel like trying to explain my mag brass isn't loaded with mag loads. So, 9mm Glock it is.

Chris

I used to attend the Second Chance Bowling Pin Shoot.
    Saw a lot of .45s succeed and many 9mms fail at clearing the tables.
    Heavier bullet 9mms did better but were not a sure thing. The lighter
    the caliber the more important accuracy becomes.

Made the first of the Rich Davis's new shoots in Central Lake in 2017.
    Nothing had changed caliber wise that I could see.

I understand there to be two challenges: momentum and ‘grab.’ Momentum is addressed with heavier bullets and getting the round to not skid off the pin can be addressed with wadcutters or JHPs.

Or, alternately, momentum with hitting the pin higher, and grab by hitting it more in the center. You take the high road, and all that.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I am of the opinion that any safely run, responsible competition can be beneficial. It’s been decades, but the original pin
    match, Second Chance, had a “division” for “medium”(9mm) or something like that. More pins because of higher capacity, etc.
    Be that as it may, if it’s safely run, I would go for it. Not as easy a target as it looks(hit the pin, center, in the lower “body” for best movement), and one will probably need more shots to move a pin that has been knocked over. But it was great fun! 147s might work a bit better, but I wouldn’t stress over it. Using your carry piece will teach you some things and that’s the point.
    Good(pin) hunting!

Don't sweat trying to "game" things too early in.
    Shoot it a few times with what you already have, and you'll have a better idea of what you may want/need.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Banned
    Right on. Exactly what I’m thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    I am of the opinion that any safely run, responsible competition can be beneficial. It’s been decades, but the original pin
    match, Second Chance, had a “division” for “medium”(9mm) or something like that. More pins because of higher capacity, etc.
    Be that as it may, if it’s safely run, I would go for it. Not as easy a target as it looks(hit the pin, center, in the lower “body” for best movement), and one will probably need more shots to move a pin that has been knocked over. But it was great fun! 147s might work a bit better, but I wouldn’t stress over it. Using your carry piece will teach you some things and that’s the point.
    Good(pin) hunting!

Pin shooting is my very favorite, and for years I only had a 9 to do it with (2000-2004).

I used 124 grain +p hollow point (Golden Sabers, as it happened).

My course of action when faced with your current situation was to just use my defensive ammo. It got me used to shooting the stuff I was carrying, and I was confident it cycled in the gun. You can use it to help teach yourself centering a large target at speed. Assuming the pins aren’t heavily loaded down with previous hits, center “sweet spot” hits will take the pins off the table. Your call if you’d prefer 147 or 124, but 115 would make me hesitate. On the other hand, if you view it as a chance to shoot your carry ammo under competition pressure, rock on with the 115.

If I was going to get a dedicated pin load, I’d probably use the 147 HP Major load from Atlanta Arms @ 1170 FPS.
    https://atlantaarms.com/products/9mm...jhp-elite.html

Sounds fun!
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

User Tag List