I’m considering transitioning from Glocks to 320’s with thumb safeties. I’m using a M17 as my test platform. I’ve got a Springer Precision RMR plate and Holosun 507C enroute as I also want to experiment with a red dot. If I decide to do the switch I’ll end up sending a standard 320 slide off to be cut for an RMR or Acro.

With that out of the way I find that with the Glock I can index my trigger finger in the ejection port. With the Sig I find I can either ride the thumb safety OR index in the ejection port but I can’t reach both at the same time. Right now I’m practicing riding the safety and having my trigger finger touching the slide under the ejection port.

I’m down with operating the thumb safety like an AR (if I’m not on target the safety is on) and have even been able to incorporate using the safety for magazine changes with the M17. I do wonder if I am over thinking it though. If you are running a pistol that is offered without the safety (320 and M&P) do you really need to operate the safety like a 1911 or are you better off just taking it off when your hands come together, relying on registering your trigger finger in the ejection port when not on target and putting the safety back on prior to holstering? In that case I would basically be using the safety only as a SCD stand in.

Normally I would default to using it like a 1911 but I also find I have to either move my support hand to engage the safety (the base of my left thumb is in the way) or adjust my grip to have my support hand lower on the pistol. Basically if my support thumb is straight it would ride just below the slide stop instead of being above the slide stop and along the slide itself like I would normally grip a pistol.

Ideas?