Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thumb wrap revolver grip?

Thumb wrap revolver grip?

Name:  Screen-Shot-2017-08-19-at-6.46.20-PM.jpg
Views: 3949
Size:  48.7 KB

I have always gripped revolvers this way, from j frames to n frames. I recently took a chl class and the instructors didnt like it at first, but once they saw I was shooting ok with it they allowed it (best qual score in the class vs everyone else with semis, granted the qual was a joke). With the more traditional thumbs forward type grip I just feel too crowded on the grip, and feel like I dont get as much recoil absorbtion or trigger dexterity. In additon, I feel like my thumbs are doing more with the thumb wrap, vs just kind of floating uselessly in the thumbs tucked grip. Also my support pinky makes solid contact in the wrap vs hanging below grip in a traditional grip. Basically my support hand gets higher on the gun, which seems good. Does anyone else shoot like this even on large framed revolvers? I just feel like it's better for me in every way yet I rarely see it used aside from small revolvers. If there is a compelling reason why I should stop doing it, I will.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Jerry Miculek has a video on how to grip revolvers. He does the thumb wrap on the J frame.

He apparently has large hands overall (I've read that, anyway), but if you look at his thumbs on the gun, they are pretty short compared to the thumbs that are convenient for me to compare to (my own...). I have a lot more thumb to figure out what to do with than he does, which changes the problem somewhat. One nice thing is that there is a lot more design flexibility in revolver grips than in most semi grips.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 05-06-2019 at 02:56 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    As long as you understand the difference and do not shoot a semiauto that way, you will be fine. I always teach beginners to always keep both thumbs on the same side of the gun to avoid the slide drawing blood. However, I might give that grip a try next time I bring a revolver to the range. Some people who shoot much better than me use that grip for J-frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I shoot all my revolvers with that grip and have for decades. I used that grip when Jerry was shitting yellow

It's an old-school revolver (and revolver only) grip that does work, but I personally prefer to use a thumbs-forward grip on my revolvers, so I have a common grip muscle memory with both semi-autos and revolvers.

Best, Jon

Thanks all. I was shooting a 629 N-frame at this class and tried briefly to switch to the thumbs tucked grasp at the suggestion of the instructors; didn't like it. I have tried it before on my own. From what you are saying there is no reason to switch; I don't think I will have any issue in remembering not to do it on an autoloader.

I don't think it's bad. Just don't shoot an auto like that.

Thumbs forward does help lock the joints. Thumbs over uses more muscle which is less efficient.

I shoot revolvers thumbs-forward in order to keep things consistent. My support-hand thumb reaches the front of the cylinder on J-frames, but at the bottom of the cylinder. That's a long ways away from the gap between the forcing cone and the front of the cylinder, plus the escaping gases are deflected by the crane.

I've never even noticed the escaping gases. I only shoot .22 and .38 Special in J-frames, maybe it would matter more with much higher-pressure magnum rounds.

Gases coming out of the gap can only go left and right. They are blocked above by the top strap, and below by the crane. Your support-hand thumb would have to be way up high on the side of the cylinder to be hit by any gases from anything but the fire-breathing magnums.

On K-, L- and N-frame-sized revolvers, my support-hand thumb does not reach the front of the cylinder, so it's a non-issue.

I shoot my 640 pretty well this way. Much better than when I try the tucked thumbs method. I have no problem "confusing" the technique when I draw a glock from AIWB or my duty holster.

That's how I shoot snubs. Thumbs forward with semi autos. Never had an issue with switching between the two.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List