Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thumb wrap revolver grip?

if it works well, do it. if not, don't do it. lots of stuff about guns is subjective.

i could never do the thumbs wrap - too awkward and too much thumb pressure (for me). thumbs forward all the time.

Three revolver grip secrets that seemed to get lost and rediscovered every few years:

1) Grip high on the “hump” with the strong hand. If you’ve fleshy hands, get real high, bonier hands may find “real high” causes blood to get drawn.

2) Wrap the weak hand thumb around (like in the OP) to help maintain that high hump grip. Particularly with small framed guns (I use that grip with J-Frames and alloy D-Frames).

3) Revolver stocks should flare out slightly at the bottom to allow the ring and pinky plenty of purchase with grip filling into the palm. This allows the grip to “roll” in the hand a bit (but really just keeps it from slapping your palm).

The the original photo I posted isn't me. This is how I end up looking on my EDC 629 (living in AK).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Three revolver grip secrets that seemed to get lost and rediscovered every few years:

1) Grip high on the “hump” with the strong hand. If you’ve fleshy hands, get real high, bonier hands may find “real high” causes blood to get drawn.

2) Wrap the weak hand thumb around (like in the OP) to help maintain that high hump grip. Particularly with small framed guns (I use that grip with J-Frames and alloy D-Frames).

3) Revolver stocks should flare out slightly at the bottom to allow the ring and pinky plenty of purchase with grip filling into the palm. This allows the grip to “roll” in the hand a bit (but really just keeps it from slapping your palm).
    Quote Originally Posted by LSW View Post
    The the original photo I posted isn't me. This is how I end up looking on my EDC 629 (living in AK).

My hands are too small to grip like that. Instead of my support hand gripping across the back like in the picture my support hand thumb goes over my dominant hand thumb. I think it was something I read/saw Jerry Miculek teaching. If I go thumbs forward like I am firing a pistol then I get the tip of my thumb burned from the b/c gap. I have never had anissue transitioning from revolvers to pistols using this grip technique. YMMV and all that jazz.

User Tag List