Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .38 Match Wadcutters

Site Supporter

.38 Match Wadcutters

Just bought a box of NOS Western Super Match 148gr wadcutters. Now I’m having a dilemma: I don’t really collect old ammunition or ammunition boxes, but ... do I use them (shoot enough through the 642 to confirm POA=POI and use the rest for carry for the next couple of years), or keep them and continue using other things/find some current production wadcutters?

Name:  4FAAFDAB-C93E-4E1D-8F8B-85E7C9140086.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  64.4 KB

I’d carry something current with more ready availability for ballistic testing exemplars, if the absolute worst should come to pass, myself. JMO. Cool looking ammo though.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

When it comes to WCs for carry - make mine Federal Gold Medal Match - https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...8a-p-1187.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    or keep them and continue using other things/find some current production wadcutters?

Name:  4FAAFDAB-C93E-4E1D-8F8B-85E7C9140086.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  64.4 KB
    Keep them and see if someone else would appreciate them. That's some cool old ammo with a clean box. I'm not sure when WW went from the yellow box. Don't shoot them up for fun.

Get some Federal.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Keep them and see if someone else would appreciate them. That's some cool old ammo with a clean box. I'm not sure when WW went from the yellow box. Don't shoot them up for fun.

Get some Federal.
    Yeah, I’m not just going to make brass out of them. Got plenty of that.

Wish someone still made them like this, though: nickle plated cases, sealed primers. Nicely done, all around.

I know there are ammo collectors out there. Guess I’ll try to find one.

Sadly, there once were 38 wadcutter factory loaded at full 38 Spl pressures. I guess nobody wanted them back in the olden days.

Underwood has a .38 Wadcutter in a nickel case, and loaded fairly dang hot - https://www.underwoodammo.com/produc...18785707556921

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    Sadly, there once were 38 wadcutter factory loaded at full 38 Spl pressures. I guess nobody wanted them back in the olden days.
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Underwood has a .38 Wadcutter in a nickel case, and loaded fairly dang hot - https://www.underwoodammo.com/produc...18785707556921
    If a 148gr wadcutter penetrates to sufficient depth at 700-800FPS, what would be the point of increasing velocity? I could see improving construction with a bonded jacket and harder core to improve barrier performance , but making it simply go faster with harder lead just doesn’t seem like it will achieve much. I’ve shot the underwood and buffalo bore offerings. The shootability is much lower when using the lightweight J Frames and the hotter loading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I mean, for me, part of the attraction of the 148gr Federal GMM is the sealed primers and the claimed extra QC Federal puts into their "Match"-labeled ammo.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I mean, for me, part of the attraction of the 148gr Federal GMM is the sealed primers and the claimed extra QC Federal puts into their "Match"-labeled ammo.
    If the same load offered the same penetration and features with better barrier performance, but cost $14.99 per 20 rounds, would you replace your current carry ammo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List